Screen tint

Search This thread

Armpowered

Jul 26, 2012
The screen on my 8.4in Tab S is bugging me, is it just me?

With all "super enhanced" colour settings set to plain and boring colour, I keep noticing a slight green tint in the central area of screen when viewed square-on, it's very subtle and seems more obvious with text on the screen, e.g. the Tapatalk forum listings. Also when viewed from an angle the display takes on a slight blue tint, despite reviews saying how good the angles are, it seems worse than the LG G Pad.

Is this just a feature of AMOLED displays or could it be a faulty unit (how?)?

mhannigan

Jan 2, 2013
Providence

With all "super enhanced" colour settings set to plain and boring colour, I keep noticing a slight green tint in the central area of screen when viewed square-on, it's very subtle and seems more obvious with text on the screen, e.g. the Tapatalk forum listings. Also when viewed from an angle the display takes on a slight blue tint, despite reviews saying how good the angles are, it seems worse than the LG G Pad.

There shouldn't be any differences viewed at any angle with this screen. Try this... in bright sunlight, with the screen off, look at the screen on an angle. It should look a uniform color - actually almost exactly matching the titanium bronze bezel... just to make sure there is no physical defect.

Something to note - if the screen is OK, it could be your eyes (not joking). The eyes can play many tricks - for example, seeing a lightly shaded box with text on a piece of paper that is only black and white - the box can appear to be shaded slightly red. That's one example, but there are many. And with the resolution and technology of this screen, there are no imperfections to draw your attention, like staircasing, blur, backlight irregularities, that you are used to seeing. It is a bit confusing to our physiology, and our brain does this thing called "patternization" that can contribute to us truly seeing something other than it is. This seems to be more subtle, yet more frustrating on a display that is so close to perfect.

I'm not saying that there is something with your eyes specifically. It could certainly be a defective screen. One way to find out would be to take a look at someone else's - also, if you have another decent camera, you can take a picture of the screen and look at the picture - that will usually confirm (or not) whether what you are seeing is there. Like I said, it's not you or your eyes I'm dissing. These are things I've picked up on over the years. In fact, it could ONLY be my eyes. If that's the case, I'd probably rather not know.

You can also use a colorimeter and software like HFCR to get the discreet measurements from different parts of the screen. When I have done this, I've found that there was no real difference in chromacity. Of course, that has always made me walk away thinking that the colorimeter must not be accurate. So human. :eek:

I would definitely be interested in your feedback about what you find because I've obsessed over high resolution displays trying to figure out what is real and what I'm imagining... it's an active area of interest for me.

Mike

SrAdama

Nov 15, 2011
Stockholmistan

Yes I have also noticed this. I've seen these green or pink tints on all the amoled devices I've owned. You need pretty good eyesight to be able to notice it. You shouldn't be bothered by it, they're all like that, if you can see it. But you'll get used to it.

Reactions: simacca

Armpowered

Jul 26, 2012
I probably will not get used to it... :(

Thanks Freshman206 and SrAdama, glad (?) to hear that it's not just me, I've had the tablet just over a week and still notice it. Any slight tilt and the colours appear/shift, green, pink and when angled beyond what I'd consider normal, blue.

Have photographed it and will have another go at getting it clearer but by winding up saturation the effect becomes visible in the photos (on pc).

I'm now trying to decide what to do about it, I have an LG G Pad which doesn't annoy in this way, though it has just gone away for a warranty screen repair for bright spots (not stuck pixels)!

Charfahl

Aug 31, 2008
Thanks Freshman206 and SrAdama, glad (?) to hear that it's not just me, I've had the tablet just over a week and still notice it. Any slight tilt and the colours appear/shift, green, pink and when angled beyond what I'd consider normal, blue.

Have photographed it and will have another go at getting it clearer but by winding up saturation the effect becomes visible in the photos (on pc).

I'm now trying to decide what to do about it, I have an LG G Pad which doesn't annoy in this way, though it has just gone away for a warranty screen repair for bright spots (not stuck pixels)!

It is probably the antiglare coating you are seeing.. If you have the coating on your glasses and check them out, it will do the same thing as your tablet... I also noticed it appears to have a anti fingerprint coating on as well, very nice indeed :>

Reactions: simacca

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
In shops I also have compared 3 different Tab S.

All had an immediately visible green tint, white looks not white but greenish and a bit "washed out".

I find it a bit surprising that with other devices, when they have a tint (like the yellow tint of the Xperia Tablet Z), people complain much, while here, with this really apparent tint, people tend to say: It's normal, get used to it...

I would never buy a Tab S, just because of this tint and because of the, compared to other devices, low maximal brightness.

These devices are overrated.

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.executivedecision.biz
I ran a poll in this forum as to whether people were satisfied with white reproduction on their tablets or not. Out of 15 responses 12 were satisfied.

We have heard reports of manufacturing defects such as yellows screens, muddy splotches in the middle of screens, loose creeky backs, warped backs and excessive lag/stutter.

These are not "normal" for this tablet but represent what may be a bad run of tablets that made it out of the barn. If you are experiencing the issues suffered by the OP, I suggest you seek a replacement unit. If you have observed similar performance from other tabs in the same store that would make sense as they are likely from the same faulty production run.

When operating normally, white should be white on the Tab S. For myself and the large majority in the poll, this is the case. I have also not read any reviews by professionals mentioning this discoloration and believe me, if CNET or THEVERGE had something to rag on the Tab S about they would have. :)

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

These devices are overrated.

The average rating by actual owners of the Tab S 10.5 bronze at BestBuy is 4.8 out of 5 stars with 53 reviews.
The average rating by actual owners of the Tab S 10.5 white at BestBuy is 4.9 out of 5 stars with 36 reviews.

You will see very little if any mention of an issue with yellow or green discoloration. I'm sure you are seeing what you are seeing but the problem does not appear widespread.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...&id=pcat17071&iht=y&cp=1&nrp=15&st=Tab+s+10.5

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

I just took a picture of a webpage with a white background on my 10.5 and sent it to my laptop which has software that measures colors.

The website background from my Tab S 10.5 measured at 255:255:255. That is pure white. This was a photo and not merely a screen shot.

Last edited:

Vertron

Jul 30, 2010
Saw the 10.5 inch and 8.4 inch models together on display in a shop. The 8.4 inch version also had slightly yellow tinted whites when looked at directly, not as bad as I was expecting though. The 10.5 inch model had no yellow tinted whites at all, when looked at directly or tilted.

serious96

Apr 29, 2012
Saw the 10.5 inch and 8.4 inch models together on display in a shop. The 8.4 inch version also had slightly yellow tinted whites when looked at directly, not as bad as I was expecting though. The 10.5 inch model had no yellow tinted whites at all, when looked at directly or tilted.

so when i switch screen mode to amoled basic, my screen have yellow tint (like warm color) and a little washed out color, is it normal or just my unit?
because when i switch screen mode to amoled cinema, everything looks saturated which is i think okay...

Last edited:

HANSB57

At what angle are you looking at it.???

>>X<<

Aug 14, 2012
so when i switch screen mode to amoled basic, my screen have yellow tint (like warm color) and a little washed out color, is it normal or just my unit?
because when i switch screen mode to amoled cinema, everything looks saturated which is i think okay...

Yes the Basic profile is meant to be that way its not the screen problem being discussed here, if you wanted an accurate image then Basic is the closest of all the profiles. If Basic looks washed out to you then your used to looking at an oversaturate screen, if you were used to looking at calibrated screens then all three profiles would look over saturated.

aimfire72

Nov 26, 2010
San Jose
I had the 8.4 and just returned it. I also had the greenish-blue tint when the screen was even just slightly tilted. More noticeable indoors with brightness set to below 40%. If I had the tablet flat on the table and walked across the room, I could see it too - screen only looked good if looking at it directly in front of you. As others have said, I think it's probably due to some coating on the screen, which explains why it would be more noticeable with the screen brightness set lower.

I've checked out a few display models at stores, they all basically look the same, though some were slightly worse than others. That being said, the 10.5" ones I saw don't seem to have this problem... if they do, it's definitely not as noticeable. Not sure if it's just an optical illusion or what, but the 10.5's look OK. I'm going to go buy the 10.5 one today, mainly for the size. I'll post again if there are any tints on the screen.

>>X<<

Aug 14, 2012
I had the 8.4 and just returned it. I also had the greenish-blue tint when the screen was even just slightly tilted. More noticeable indoors with brightness set to below 40%. If I had the tablet flat on the table and walked across the room, I could see it too - screen only looked good if looking at it directly in front of you. As others have said, I think it's probably due to some coating on the screen, which explains why it would be more noticeable with the screen brightness set lower.

I've checked out a few display models at stores, they all basically look the same, though some were slightly worse than others. That being said, the 10.5" ones I saw don't seem to have this problem... if they do, it's definitely not as noticeable. Not sure if it's just an optical illusion or what, but the 10.5's look OK. I'm going to go buy the 10.5 one today, mainly for the size. I'll post again if there are any tints on the screen.

The problem was a green tint in the center when looked at head on not at an angle, seeing shifts in color when tilted is normal for this tablet. I would have kept yours if it was fine straight on.

My 10.5 had greenish yellow tint when looked at head on exactly the same as the op.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/help/normal-screen-faulty-t2822471

aimfire72

Nov 26, 2010
San Jose
I was gonna return for the 10.5" anyways, the screen tint wasn't part of that decision, but I certainly won't miss it, heh.

conquesoextra

May 2, 2012
Mine it is extremelly yellow! I hate this bug... It happends to me every 10 minutes, i need to restart every time to revert this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes I have also noticed this. I've seen these green or pink tints on all the amoled devices I've owned. You need pretty good eyesight to be able to notice it. You shouldn't be bothered by it, they're all like that, if you can see it. But you'll get used to it.

It is probably the antiglare coating you are seeing.. If you have the coating on your glasses and check them out, it will do the same thing as your tablet... I also noticed it appears to have a anti fingerprint coating on as well, very nice indeed :>