How much battery life should I be getting on my i9020a (ICS 4.0.4)

Search This thread

majinzen

Jul 25, 2010
His reception isn't that bad. Look at mine. Besides Android System seems to be his problem. If it were a reception problem, Cell Standby would be high.

ScOULaris

Mar 30, 2012
So it seems that there still isn't a consensus on what acceptable battery life is for the Nexus S on 4.0.4.

I'll be posting my battery stats again tonight to see if anything has changed.

To be honest, they already seem to be improving compared to yesterday and the day before.

murfi

Jan 17, 2012
compared to 2.3.6, the batterylife is anything but acceptable on 4.0.4.

on 2.3.6, i got about 2-3 days of battery life on light usage.

today, with 4.0.4, i took the device off the wall at 11 with 94%. not, 6 hours later, i'm at 51%. and i barely used it.

fartsimpson

Apr 1, 2011
Problems?

Hey,
I too have some problems considering the screen on time on ICS 4.0.4 stock. Got the OTA about easter and I noticed a heavier battery drain when im not actually using the phone. No apps run in the background, nothing is syncing, 2g networks only and my phone still loses ~1 - 2% of charge an hour.
But then again, it does occasionally lose only 1% through the night. (See attachments, sometimes its flat, then again steep when im not acutually using it)
Back when I had GB, I got at least 3.5 - 4 hours of screen on time with the same usage pattern. I might still get that screen on time, but only if I use it continuously. Also on GB, the battery usage of Android-System was never as high as on ICS and again, I have the same usage pattern.
I'm out of ideas, but the battery drain ruins the whole phone!
Does anyone knows something to solve this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-42-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-42-12.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-42-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-42-24.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-42-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-42-29.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-42-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-42-35.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 138

Drizzy xS

Apr 8, 2012
Derby
I think I've had my phone for about a year now. Would that be long enough to necessitate replacing the battery?

Is my battery life even particularly bad, or am I just expecting too much from my phone?

Edit: Okay, now I am at 35%, Down 10% from less than an hour ago, and all I have done is send and receive a few texts.

If your getting crappy battery remember to check that your doing things such as:
1. Having your brightness on either auto or minimum as much as you can top brightness destroys your battery!
2. Turning off auto sync unless you really need it..
3. Staying on wifi connection rather than 3G. 3G also destroys your battery.
4. And also just make sure that no rogue apps are excessively draining your battery some apps like to do that..
5. Most importantly if your really intent on getting better battery on your phone your really going to need to root it and flash a custom rom or atleast a custom kernel and i can pretty much assure you you will get better battery life than that with a kernel such as Matrix, Trinity or Air...

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
I think average time is 2.5 - 3 hours on-screen use with like 15 hours overall (usually more).

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
GummyNex (4.0.4 - 102)
Matrix Kernel (CFS - 19.0)
Lionheart tweak (1000/100)
Deep Idle (Off - Noop)

chronophase1

Mar 12, 2011
Mine seems better since a factory reset and SD wipe. I'm getting about that same usage now. Weird.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it's because wifi is always on (even when it's sleeping) by default. you can change that to "when plugged in" or "never" in the wifi setting page, it will significantly improve the battery life
    Some points first:
    -Battery calibrates itself over time
    -Battery Stats have no effect on the battery, and they are deleted on each full charge
    -Your battery may be up to around 80 - 90% capacity by now, so you would've lost a maximum of around an hour of screen on time (considering the avg screen on time is around 4 - 5 hours in a day)
    -The screen easily uses the most power
    -Battery stat pics mean little if we don't know the screen on time
    -If you have drain while the screen is off (which doesn't seem to be the case), you have a wakelock you need to get rid of
    -Battery can get out of whack, usually only on boot due to a large power surge, usually because it was charging while booting. This converges closer to the truth in a couple of hours, this is due to the method the battery uses to obtain its state of charge. It will keep getting better until another similar power surge, usually caused by another charged boot.

Don't expect much above 4 - 5 hours in a 24 hours period, if you're getting that then you're on good ground.

My typical battery life will get me ~1 - 2 hours of web browsing, take a couple of photos, several SMSs and a couple of calls, maybe 30mins - 1 hour of listening to music (currently without deep idle) and maybe another hour of playing games or similar time wasting. I'd be good after 16 hours with ~30%.

I think in the next few years software will become more and more refined to use as little as possible of the battery, and very soon we will see this aided with the use of hardware. Until then, we deal with ~4/5 hours of screen on time, which i'm quite happy with so long as i have a charger at night.