Hybrid Case Showdown! Supcase vs. Spigen vs. Rearth (video, pics, Q&A)

Search This thread

piskotek

Feb 23, 2014
Great review and thank you for these detailed pictures! I was dabating between Spigen Hybrid and Ringke Fusion myself and your review really helped me - I decided on Ringke Fusion because of the buttons.

dsmpampis

Oct 21, 2012
Hey guys, I just received my Ringke Fusion and before I put it on I would like to know if there is any chance that the case can scratch the corners of the Nexus because the Ringke slim fit does!

Thanks in advance.

Tapatalked with my Nexus5(aka the Hammerhead)

ZionExpress

Jun 9, 2011
New Hampshire
Hey guys, I just received my Ringke Fusion and before I put it on I would like to know if there is any chance that the case can scratch the corners of the Nexus because the Ringke slim fit does!

Thanks in advance.

See my post on page 2. This case wont scratch the phone just by itself but it's still possible for dirt and things to work their way in. The Rinkge Slim is TERRIBLE with scratching the phone. The Fusion is MUCH gentler on the device.

Reactions: dsmpampis

dsmpampis

Oct 21, 2012
See my post on page 2. This case wont scratch the phone just by itself but it's still possible for dirt and things to work their way in. The Rinkge Slim is TERRIBLE with scratching the phone. The Fusion is MUCH gentler on the device.

I wash the case with plenty of water and soap (I think now it wouldn't have any dust) and I going to put it on( I cross my fingers because it's the second nexus that I have and my experience with the first one combined with Ringke slim was awful!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

I'm afraid little bit because the TPU material on the Rengke isn't so soft than the Diztronic case that I have...

Last edited:

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
My two piece spiegen had a slight bow of a couple of mm. I was worried about it wearing. Had to get some two sided tape. Did the job. It's flush now. Always use these cases with the glass screen protectors. Expensive (to me) but good, especially as they sent me a whore? White one, which is like a bar of soap

Sent by mobile telephone.

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
Very happy with the Ringke. It feels so OEM and integrated. The only downside, and I have see this in other photos, is the cutout for the camera and LED on the back. It's ever so slightly (0.5 mm) off. The only other thing is that the clear window is larger on the Spiegen, whereas the black border takes up more space on the Ringke.

ZionExpress

Jun 9, 2011
New Hampshire
Very happy with the Ringke. It feels so OEM and integrated. The only downside, and I have see this in other photos, is the cutout for the camera and LED on the back. It's ever so slightly (0.5 mm) off. The only other thing is that the clear window is larger on the Spiegen, whereas the black border takes up more space on the Ringke.

The cutout is indeed very slightly off. Thankfully it's not enough to trigger any OCD on my part. Personally I like the slightly larger black border, adds a nice contrast to my white N5.

I'm afraid little bit because the TPU material on the Rengke isn't so soft than the Diztronic case that I have...

This TPU feels a bit stiffer than others I have used in the past, too. I have had this case on my phone for a month now and I can not find a single scratch on my phone after checking it over carefully. Corners included. In fact, the only negative thing I have to say about this case is probably true for all clear cases, hybrids included, and that is the fact that dust and fine lint can find its way behind the clear portion of the case and it requires semi regular cleaning to keep it looking nice and neat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Made up a quick video review to compare 3 of the top hybrid cases for the Nexus 5. I had a real hard time finding just the right case for this phone and purchased a couple real duds before discovering I liked the hybrid style. (I tried another Ringke case and a chinese Cimo knockoff)

Video:

Heres the quick rundown on each case. (each case was $7-10 from Amazon)

Supcase Unicorn Beetle - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FN13QH0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pros:
    Great construction. Fit and finish are very well done.
    Frosted back hides scratches easily.
    Feels "tougher" than the other two cases.

Cons:
    No bumpers on the back to protect the case from scratches. A minor con since the frosted texture hides scratches very well.
    Headphone opening is the smallest of the three.
    Buttons are VERY firm. Didn't soften up after a week of use.
    Frosted back distorts color of the Nexus back.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJJ38HY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pros:
    Very premium feel. Soft texture on the TPU sides, most pleasant to hold.
    Bumpers on back lift case and protect it from scratches.
    Comes with free screen protector.
    Cool engraved buttons.
    Buttons have good response and are fairly clicky.

Cons:
    Easy to accidentally press buttons. Frequently hit the volume buttons while trying to push power.

Rearth Ringke Fusion - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPLTFIS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pros:
    VERY slightly slimmer than the other cases.
    Same soft feel as the Spigen, just a hair inferior.
    VERY clicky buttons, excellent response and no accidental presses.
    Similar bumpers as the Spigen though not as pronounced. Still effective.
    Hole for lanyard.

Cons:
    Buttons are not fully sealed, possible entry for dust/dirt.
    Overall finish is less than Spigen or Supcase.

I should note, there appears to be another decent hybrid case out there, the iBlason CandyGel Hybrid (http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Google-Nexus-CandyGel-Hybrid/dp/B00FOW4KNC/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1393007496&sr=1-6&keywords=iblason+nexus+5). I have not tested this case but if there is enough interest I will pick one up and do a quick review.

Please leave feedback and feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    Pictures!

(higher res pictures attached)

Group shots:
    WyhRQfo.jpg

3C2MkTA.jpg

X7ptBNi.jpg

24GZrgG.jpg

HSrmRSl.jpg

4oXofwg.jpg

WuZIqzZ.jpg

Spigen:
    ib5aGjG.jpg

zBDNnly.jpg

ZxyImEH.jpg

hkctY7a.jpg

Rearth:
    4SIEvQS.jpg

jElpYl6.jpg

PEGj3rk.jpg

AJVOt6f.jpg

DVFSDOy.jpg

Supcase:
    G0o4Znz.jpg

zZUZ2oU.jpg

0WPI0wv.jpg

Cw9Qdfx.jpg
    Great pics and comparison! I was about to settle on the supcase, but I don't want to think about that back every time I set the phone down. I had discounted the other two because of their finicky buttons, but it appears that you may have received an updated Ringke case with its slits? Earlier, many complained about its overly stiff buttons with their lack of feedback, probably similar to the Supcase. Some had remedied this by making lengthwise slits with a precision knife with very good results. Looks like they're doing this at the factory now. And, just for your knowledge, in the Supcase thread, there are many who have made invisible slits in the button areas with improved results.

Thanks! I am VERY happy with the Ringke case. It must be the updated case since I have had ZERO problems with the buttons. It's nice to see the manufacturer incorporate the aftermarket "fix" and improve their product. If Supcase does the same thing then I might have to give them a second try. I wasn't too interested in modding my case since I already do a ton of fiddling with my phone as-is, this time I just wanted to buy something off the shelf that just works.
    Thanks for the comparison! Can you confirm if the gap behind the USB port of the spigen case is there? Dust and lint gets inside easily is that fixed in your case? Thanks? View attachment 2582281

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I did not notice a gap on my Spigen case though I may have just overlooked it. I left the case at work so I will have to get back to you on that. I'll upload pictures once I get a chance to check it out.

*UPDATE*
    There is almost no gap on my Spigen case. My version of the case clearly has an extra bit of TPU moulding, making the gap maybe a little less than the thickness of a credit card. You can kind of see the the extra moulding on the group shot above (picture #4).
    I'll also note that the Rearth case has almost NO gap by the power cutout. It's pretty flush with the back of the phone. I forgot my tablet at home today so pictures will have to come a bit later.

Thanks in advance.