[Q] tried to root my phone and failed miserably

Search This thread

awaj2006

Mar 24, 2012
I'm sure there's multiple questions about how to fix their phone for this reason or that reason. I am on the verge of crawling up in a ball and rocking back and forth... (maybe it's a bit over dramatic) but I've tried to fix this based on my experiences in the past.

I have a galaxy s3 sgh-t999. I followed instructions to install CMW 5.0.5.4 and used odin, when I finished, I tried flashing a rom and got an error saying that the rom was for dr2tmo not for the device dr2spr. I thought that didn't sound right. I re-did the install of the cmw but used philz touch http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2310081

I then wiped everything, the factory reset, the cache, battery. I then installed Hellfire for my phone, and the google apps, and now I'm stuck at the boot animation for the rom. I looked into resetting it back to stock, but Odin can't because the count is higher then 1 and I can't find somewhere to reset the phone's count without getting into a rom, which I haven't found one that works.

I appreciate any advice you guys can give, and please let me know if i missed a rule or something and I'll change what I can. Thank you.

awaj2006

Mar 24, 2012
I have no clue on how to pull logs either. I'm sorry for not getting too involved before I got that far.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's multiple questions about how to fix their phone for this reason or that reason. I am on the verge of crawling up in a ball and rocking back and forth... (maybe it's a bit over dramatic) but I've tried to fix this based on my experiences in the past.

I have a galaxy s3 sgh-t999. I followed instructions to install CMW 5.0.5.4 and used odin, when I finished, I tried flashing a rom and got an error saying that the rom was for dr2tmo not for the device dr2spr. I thought that didn't sound right. I re-did the install of the cmw but used philz touch http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2310081

I then wiped everything, the factory reset, the cache, battery. I then installed Hellfire for my phone, and the google apps, and now I'm stuck at the boot animation for the rom. I looked into resetting it back to stock, but Odin can't because the count is higher then 1 and I can't find somewhere to reset the phone's count without getting into a rom, which I haven't found one that works.

I appreciate any advice you guys can give, and please let me know if i missed a rule or something and I'll change what I can. Thank you.

My advice would be to get the Cyanogenmod for the d2tmo. If you are already at 4.3 use the 10.2 version. Otherwise probably use 10.1. Don't use the 10.2 unless you have to, it has some security stuff in it that makes rooting/modifying the phone a bit more restricted (IMO).
You can flash the zip for it in CWM or TWRP. http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d2tmo

Once that is done you can use triangle away to reset your counter. Then use odin to get back to stock. Stock can be found at sammobile It'll be a long download, but worth it if you want stock. Again I do not reccomend going 4.3 unless you have already upgraded to it. If you have already upgraded to it you won't have a choice, but until someone finds a way to truly override KNOX and the bootloader security, I personally advise to stay away from it.

I hope this helps

awaj2006

Mar 24, 2012
I did do the update for 4.3 while it was available before samsung pulled it. I'll start with 10.1 tomorrow morning and hopefully I can post with good news after it's done. I'll probably stick with what ever I end up with getting to work for a while, whether it's CM 10.1 or 10.2.

awaj2006

Mar 24, 2012
I got the following error

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") =="d2tmo" || getprop("ro.build.product") == ""d2tmo" E: error in /storage/sdcard1/cm-10.1.3-dtmo(1).zip

(status7)

I'll look more into the CF method.

awaj2006

Mar 24, 2012
I got CF for tmobile t999 and used odin, it CM came up rather quickly. I'm going through the initial set-up and then I'll try making a phone call. thank you for the help