Save WhatsApp Conversation

Search This thread

Crash1k

Jan 22, 2012
Hello!

I have a question regarding WhatsApp. Is there a possibility to save WhatsApp conversations/history? Through any homebrew-App?

I searched through Google and XDA, didn't find anything useful, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Crash1k

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
You need to copy out the Isolated Storage for the app. There are a few tools that can do this, including any filesystem browser (such as WP7 Root Tools). An easy way to get the file(s) from your phone to the PC would be my Root Webserver app; find the App GUID of WhatsApp and go to http://<PHONE_IP>/FileSystem/Applications/Data/<APP_GUID>/Data on the PC while the phone runs the webserver app.

Reactions: Crash1k

Crash1k

Jan 22, 2012
Thanks for your fast answer.
Since I'm pretty new to this homebrew-and-phoneHacking thing I don't have much of a clue how to work with those programs. I have downloaded "HtcRootWebServer_231.zip" and the ".xap" file, but I don't know how to get started. Are there any instructions online, perhaps on your homepage, if you have one?

Thanks again.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Oh boy... okay, I assumed you'd already be familiar with dev-unlock at least, so this is going to be a bit complicated. First of all, what phone do you have? On some phones, you won't even be able to run the app because of restrictions that we don't know how to get past.

The summary:
To install an app to the phone from a XAP file, your phone needs to be developer-unlocked. There are a few ways to do this, including an official one from Microsoft (though that costs money unless you're a student). To deploy the apps, you'll probably want to download the Windows Phone SDK from Microsoft as it has all the tools.
To use high-privilege apps, you'll need your phone to be "interop-unlocked" which you can read about on XDA-Devs. Not all phones can currently be interop-unlocked, though many can.
Once your phone is IUed, install the webserver and also WP7 Root Tools v0.9. Use the Root Tools to mark the Webserver app as "Trusted"; this will give it the permissions it needs (it has its own permission elevation code, but I'm almost sure your phone isn't compatible).

aramadsanar

Aug 3, 2011
if your phone is unlocked:

install wmdc by ultrashot, then, connect it to wmdc, then browse <YOUR WP NAME>\\Applications\Data\218A0EBB-1585-4C7E-A9EC-054CF4569A79 then copy everything from it

Crash1k

Jan 22, 2012
Oh boy... okay, I assumed you'd already be familiar with dev-unlock at least, so this is going to be a bit complicated. First of all, what phone do you have? On some phones, you won't even be able to run the app because of restrictions that we don't know how to get past.

The summary:
To install an app to the phone from a XAP file, your phone needs to be developer-unlocked. There are a few ways to do this, including an official one from Microsoft (though that costs money unless you're a student). To deploy the apps, you'll probably want to download the Windows Phone SDK from Microsoft as it has all the tools.
To use high-privilege apps, you'll need your phone to be "interop-unlocked" which you can read about on XDA-Devs. Not all phones can currently be interop-unlocked, though many can.
Once your phone is IUed, install the webserver and also WP7 Root Tools v0.9. Use the Root Tools to mark the Webserver app as "Trusted"; this will give it the permissions it needs (it has its own permission elevation code, but I'm almost sure your phone isn't compatible).

Thanks a lot for your help, and I'm sorry you had to write this much. I already know how to deploy .xap's and these things, but I have no clue when it comes to the Webserver and how to find the conversations with that. I'll try this for now. I appreciate your help and effort. :)

install wmdc by ultrashot, then, connect it to wmdc, then browse <YOUR WP NAME>\\Applications\Data\218A0EBB-1585-4C7E-A9EC-054CF4569A79 then copy everything from it

Is this the same method as the one GoodDayToDie explained?
Thanks for your answer!

//Edit:
I tried it like you, GoodDayToDie, told me. I downloaded your HtcRootWebServer_231.xap and HtcRootWebServer_231.zip. (even though I have a Samsung Omnia 7 with windowbreak unlock (I think that's interop unlock, don't know for sure though)). Then I deployed the .xap, opened the App in the phone but didn't know what to do with the numbers and text fields (like what kind of Admin name and password I should fill in...). After I gave up on the phone-part, I tried to work with the .zip file, but I don't know what to do next. There are 2 folders, one is called "Homebrew" the other "WebServer", I tried to open the programs which are placed in the subfolders (I opened both with Microsoft Visual Studio Solution) but I only get an error and it won't show anything.
Do you know where the problem is? (aside from my lack of knowledge of course :/ )

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

aramadsanar

Aug 3, 2011
Thanks a lot for your help, and I'm sorry you had to write this much. I already know how to deploy .xap's and these things, but I have no clue when it comes to the Webserver and how to find the conversations with that. I'll try this for now. I appreciate your help and effort. :)

Is this the same method as the one GoodDayToDie explained?
Thanks for your answer!

//Edit:
I tried it like you, GoodDayToDie, told me. I downloaded your HtcRootWebServer_231.xap and HtcRootWebServer_231.zip. (even though I have a Samsung Omnia 7 with windowbreak unlock (I think that's interop unlock, don't know for sure though)). Then I deployed the .xap, opened the App in the phone but didn't know what to do with the numbers and text fields (like what kind of Admin name and password I should fill in...). After I gave up on the phone-part, I tried to work with the .zip file, but I don't know what to do next. There are 2 folders, one is called "Homebrew" the other "WebServer", I tried to open the programs which are placed in the subfolders (I opened both with Microsoft Visual Studio Solution) but I only get an error and it won't show anything.
Do you know where the problem is? (aside from my lack of knowledge of course :/ )

Thanks for your help.

yes, it goes to one objective, but in a simpler method

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Eh, WebServer doesn't require installing anything on the PC, WPDM doesn't (directly) require installing anything on the phone. In both cases, you'll need to have WP7 Root Tools installed.

For WPDM + TouchXperience:
Install Windows Phone Device Manager from TouchXperience.com.
Start Zune and connect your phone.
Start WPDM and wait for it to install the TouchXperience app on the phone.
Open WP7 Root Tools v0.9 and go to the Policy pivot.
Mark TouchXperience as "Trusted" and exit Root Tools.
Open TouchXperience (and WPDM on the PC, if you closed it) and connect them.
Either do what @aramadsanar suggested, or use the Installed Apps feature of WPDM to make a backup.

For Root Webserver:
Install Root Webserver (the XAP; the ZIP file is the source code); you already did this.
Mark "Webserver (HtcRoot)" as Trusted and close Root Tools.
Connect the phone to WiFi (on the same network as your PC) and launch the webserver app.
Set a username and password you can remember ("admin" and "root" for example, though that's insecure).
On the PC, open a web browser and go to the phone's IP address, then drill down into the FileSystem like I said (aramadsanar gave you the app's GUID).
Download the files from the Isolated Storage to your PC, and save them somewhere.

Crash1k

Jan 22, 2012
Thanks a LOT for those great instructions, GoodDayToDie! That's really nice, thanks for your effort. :)

I tried the WebServer method since I didn't want to install Windows Phone SDK 7.1, but I didn't manage to get into my phone through the browser (by typing the I.P. of the phone, which is listed on the Webserver App, just as you said), that's why I was forced to use the other way. Well, who cares, it worked! I have my messages file, but the next problem shows up. I can open the file with the Editor, but it shows weird symbols and you can't read the messages actually. I tried many other programs but none work. Do you guys know how to open those files? The ending is ".sdf". I google'd it for nearly two hours, couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks for the help so far.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
You used the WiFi address of the phone, right? The WWAN (cellular) connection is almost certainly firewalled. For example, on my home network the router usually gives my phone IP address 192.168.0.73 on WiFi, so I type in "http://192.168.0.73" into the browser on my PC. It'll ask for username and password; give it what you put on the phone.

As for the file contents, I can't help there. They might be encrypted, in which case the crypto key is somewhere but might be hard to find. Or they might be compressed, in which case you need to find a decoder for that compression. Either one would produce files that appear to be meaningless binary to a casual glance.

One thing you could try for the compressed file possibility is tell 7-Zip to open the file. It's usually very good at recognizing compressed formats. If it's encrypted, you'll probably need to decompile WhatsApp to figure out how. If WhatsApp is obfuscated, you're going to be in a tough spot.

By the way, I assume you downloaded the messages file directly, rather than using the data backup function of WPDM, right?

Hmm... what do you need these files for? If it's just for backup, what you have is *probably* sufficient, so long as you grabbed *all* the files from the IsolatedStorage.

Crash1k

Jan 22, 2012
Yeah, I used the WiFi address which is listed on the WebServer App, and I typed that IP Address just like you said into my browser, with "http://" etc., but it still didn't work. It doesn't even ask me for any password or username.

I don't think they are compressed, because I already tried to open/extract them with 7zip, all I got was an error because of the incompatibility. The other thing is, that when I open the files with the "Editor", I can see my messages there, but there are many many other symbols there, which makes it impossible to read the messages. They are too wide spread and you can't tell which messages belong together etc.

Even though I have no idea how to "decompile" WhatsApp, I won't ask you to tell me, since it sounds pretty complicated. I hope there is another way to solve this problem.

Yes, I simply saved the file on my Desktop, didn't use the BackUp function.

That's right, they're "just" for backup, and I didn't grab just the IsolatedStorage folder, I took the whole "Data" folder, just like aramadsanar told me to.

Thanks again for your fast and detailed answer.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
If the wifi address didn't work, either your phone was not on WiFi (did the address start with 169.254.?) or your PC was not on WiFi or even connected to the same WiFi network. You can (in theory; I've never tried) also connect to the phone over wired Ethernet by plugging in the phone to the PC with its USB cable, and running Zune on the PC. That will add an ethernet entry to the phone IP list, but I don't know if it can be used for server ports from the PC.

There are a number of free apps for decompiling managed (.NET) code. The latest version of .NET RAIN, distributed right here on XDA-Devs, can do it, for example. Decompiling turns the intermediate-language binary code in a managed DLL or EXE file into C# or VB.NET or whatever. It's not a perfect reversal; the decompiler has to guess what the original source code looked like, and of course comments are missing. It's good enough to read pretty easily, though.

It sounds like what you have is probably a database file of some kind. There are only a few database formats available for WP7 apps (a few more can be accessed using native code).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need to copy out the Isolated Storage for the app. There are a few tools that can do this, including any filesystem browser (such as WP7 Root Tools). An easy way to get the file(s) from your phone to the PC would be my Root Webserver app; find the App GUID of WhatsApp and go to http://<PHONE_IP>/FileSystem/Applications/Data/<APP_GUID>/Data on the PC while the phone runs the webserver app.

The summary:

Eh, WebServer doesn't require installing anything on the PC, WPDM doesn't (directly) require installing anything on the phone. In both cases, you'll need to have WP7 Root Tools installed.

For WPDM + TouchXperience:
    Install Windows Phone Device Manager from TouchXperience.com.
    Start Zune and connect your phone.
    Start WPDM and wait for it to install the TouchXperience app on the phone.
    Mark TouchXperience as "Trusted" and exit Root Tools.
    Open TouchXperience (and WPDM on the PC, if you closed it) and connect them.
    Either do what @aramadsanar suggested, or use the Installed Apps feature of WPDM to make a backup.

For Root Webserver:
    Install Root Webserver (the XAP; the ZIP file is the source code); you already did this.
    Mark "Webserver (HtcRoot)" as Trusted and close Root Tools.
    Connect the phone to WiFi (on the same network as your PC) and launch the webserver app.
    Set a username and password you can remember ("admin" and "root" for example, though that's insecure).
    On the PC, open a web browser and go to the phone's IP address, then drill down into the FileSystem like I said (aramadsanar gave you the app's GUID).
    Download the files from the Isolated Storage to your PC, and save them somewhere.
    You used the WiFi address of the phone, right? The WWAN (cellular) connection is almost certainly firewalled. For example, on my home network the router usually gives my phone IP address 192.168.0.73 on WiFi, so I type in "http://192.168.0.73" into the browser on my PC. It'll ask for username and password; give it what you put on the phone.

As for the file contents, I can't help there. They might be encrypted, in which case the crypto key is somewhere but might be hard to find. Or they might be compressed, in which case you need to find a decoder for that compression. Either one would produce files that appear to be meaningless binary to a casual glance.

One thing you could try for the compressed file possibility is tell 7-Zip to open the file. It's usually very good at recognizing compressed formats. If it's encrypted, you'll probably need to decompile WhatsApp to figure out how. If WhatsApp is obfuscated, you're going to be in a tough spot.

By the way, I assume you downloaded the messages file directly, rather than using the data backup function of WPDM, right?

Hmm... what do you need these files for? If it's just for backup, what you have is *probably* sufficient, so long as you grabbed *all* the files from the IsolatedStorage.