Search This thread

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
To install Clockworkmod after Revolutionary

1. Get fastboot and adb tool for windows here:
  2. Get Fastboot and adb for linux here:
  3. Obtain clockworkmod recovery:
  4. Move the recovery.img above to the same directory/folder/map as fastboot and navigate there with an open cmd prompt (WIN) or terminal (LINUX).
  5. Put the phone is Fastboot USB mode (HINT: Android is not up and running - access it from your hboot screen - see how below)
  6. fastboot flash recovery recovery_name.img <<< from a command line (use root for Linux- sudo ./fastboot flash recovery recovery_name.img)

Clockworkmod includes a backup utility (also known as nandroid backups).

It's a good idea to do backups before installing new roms or modifying a current one.

To do backups:

1. Start clockworkmod recovery (instructions below)
  2. Select backup and restore
  3. Select backup

To restore a backup:
  3. Select backup

To root:
  1. Copy su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip to your sdcard root
  2. Start clockworkmod recovery (instructions below)
  3. Select "install zip from sdcard"
  4. Then select "Choose zip from sdcard"
  5. Then select "su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip"
  6. Then select "Yes - install su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip" to confirm
  7. Then go back
  8. Then reboot.
  9. You're rooted!

How to start Clockworkmod:
  1. Unplug USB
  2. Turn the device off
  3. Hold volume down button (HOLD IT) and press power
  4. Hboot will start. Navigate to recovery with the vol down button. Press power to select and enter recovery.

How to start Fastboot USB mode:
  1. Unplug USB
  2. Turn the device off
  4. Hboot will start.
  5. Wait for sdcard scan to complete.
  6. Plug in USB cord connected to the computer
  7. Press power ONCE and Fastboot USB mode starts

Flashing custom roms is much like flashing the root files above. Follow the flashing instructions for the custom ROM you select if you choose to do so. NOTE: You do NOT need to root to flash a custom, rooted ROM.

Q&A

i did the command for linux and i get waiting for device. not sure what im doing wrong i had no problems running the alpharevx s-off tool

Try it as root for Linux.

sudo ./fastboot <yadda>

If you are in windows, you need to install the correct drivers. The drivers are in HTC sync. Get the correct version sync for your phone from the HTC support site, install it, then de-install it, leaving just the drivers.

Attachments

• android-win-tools.zip
    417.4 KB · Views: 160,195
  • android-linux-tools.zip
    209.9 KB · Views: 10,672
Last edited:

locutus2000

Feb 16, 2008
Amersfoort
I am stuck at step 3, it says waiting on device when flashing the recovery. Developer USB is enabled on my android, what am I doing wrong? I also tried to boot in to bootloader and have it connected with USB but nothing happened.

Edit: I just need to select Fastboot then it installed the recovery. I am now in the Clock work recovery but anything I select shows the tophat and does nothing, I can go back to the menu though.

I need to do more research on Clockwork I guess :)

Edit again: Pressing the scrollbutton on the wildfire did the trick, sorry about noobing this thread, hopefully this will help other noobs :p

Last edited:
Reactions: gm_vel and cazafka

attn1

Mar 18, 2010
Can u please explain this step with fastboot?

http://tinyurl.com/63f9wl8

In short,

1. Download the fastboot utility linked in post #1 for your OS.
  2. If you are using Windows (boo) download and install the HTC Android USB Driver for Microsoft PC from the bottom of this page.
  3. Run the command as appropriate for your OS;
    • fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (windows)
    • ./fastboot-mac recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (mac x86)
    • ./fastboot recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (linux)

Last edited:

cmaricque

Nov 28, 2008
http://tinyurl.com/63f9wl8

In short,

1. Download the fastboot utility linked in post #1 for your OS.
  2. If you are using Windows (boo) download and install the HTC Android USB Driver for Microsoft PC from the bottom of this page.
  3. Run the command as appropriate for your OS;
    • fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (windows)
    • ./fastboot-mac recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (mac x86)
    • ./fastboot recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (linux)

i did the command for linux and i get waiting for device. not sure what im doing wrong i had no problems running the alpharevx s-off tool

attn1

Mar 18, 2010

sudo ./fastboot <yadda>

If you are in windows, you need to install the correct drivers. The drivers are in HTC sync. Get the correct version sync for your phone from the HTC support site, install it, then de-install it, leaving just the drivers.

Last edited:

cmaricque

Nov 28, 2008
im not really linux oriented but i did that.

here my command

sudo ./fastboot flash recovery /home/ubuntu/cwm.img

then i get the responce

< waiting for device >

i kept trying over and over and i feel i got farther but now im getting

sending 'recovery' (3044 KB) . . . FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))

SORRY FOR ALL THE EDITS....
i got it working. i rebooted my pc and my phone and it worked perfect on the first try. thanks for all your help

Last edited:

cmaricque

Nov 28, 2008
ugh now i cant boot into recovery, i just get stuck at a htc splash screen. reflashed recovery, even with rom manager many times and nothing. a little searching i found that i could factory reset and format sd card but still nothing. :/ i was getting all excited to finally be rooted!:confused:

dr.pythagora

Jun 19, 2011
Ottawa
To install Clockworkmod after AlpharevX

1. Get fastboot at the bottom of the page here: http://developer.htc.com/adp.html
  2. Obtain clockworkmod recovery:
    • HTC Desire Recovery here:
      HTC Desire CDMA recovery here:
    • HTC Liberty Recovery here:
    • HTC Wildfire Recovery here:
    • HTC Incredible S recovery here:
  3. fastboot flash recovery <recovery.img>

It's a good idea to do backups before installing new roms or modifying a current one.

To do backups:

3. Select backup

To restore a backup:
  3. Select backup

To root:
  1. Copy su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip to your sdcard root
  5. Then select "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip"
  6. Then select "Yes - install su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip" to confirm
  7. Then go back
  8. Then reboot.
  9. You're rooted!

1. Unplug USB
  2. Turn the device off
  4. Hboot will start. Navigate to recovery with the vol down button. Press power to select and enter recovery.

Flashing custom roms is much like flashing the root files above. Follow the flashing instructions for the custom ROM you select if you choose to do so. NOTE: You do NOT need to root to flash a custom, rooted ROM.

Q&A

sudo ./fastboot <yadda>

I am a quite advanced linux user, having a first android device - HTC IS.
Still, I have trouble to follow the guide and root my IS. I follows the three steps:

1. Get fastboot at the bottom of the page here: http://developer.htc.com/adp.html
- successfull

2. Obtain clockworkmod recovery:
* HTC Incredible S recovery here:
- successful

3. fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img
- failed: I get tyhe message "< waiting for device >".

Can anyone please write his succesfull experience in full details (for a Linux user, for example). This would be very much helpfull.

Thanks.

ps: congrats to talented developers who made possible rooting htc is

cazafka

Feb 28, 2010
cmaricque I suggest viewing the post by locutus2000, first edit solved my stuck on htc splash screen when entering recovery issue, second edit solved my next issue as well.

Last edited:

xtam

Jan 19, 2011
i did it and when i want to do backup or anything in clockword menu there is this HAT screen with orange arrow and i am waiting and nothing happens.on wildfire, and windows version alpharevx today, i have s off, installed rwecovery and when i enter menu whatever power off or backup in clockword mod and press power button to enter it, nothing happens, only black screen with hat on center and orange arrow. why ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To install Clockworkmod after Revolutionary

1. Get fastboot and adb tool for windows here:
    2. Get Fastboot and adb for linux here:
    3. Obtain clockworkmod recovery:
    4. Move the recovery.img above to the same directory/folder/map as fastboot and navigate there with an open cmd prompt (WIN) or terminal (LINUX).
    5. Put the phone is Fastboot USB mode (HINT: Android is not up and running - access it from your hboot screen - see how below)
    6. fastboot flash recovery recovery_name.img <<< from a command line (use root for Linux- sudo ./fastboot flash recovery recovery_name.img)

To do backups:

3. Select backup

To restore a backup:
    3. Select backup

To root:
    1. Copy su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip to your sdcard root
    5. Then select "su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip"
    6. Then select "Yes - install su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip" to confirm
    7. Then go back
    8. Then reboot.
    9. You're rooted!

1. Unplug USB
    2. Turn the device off

How to start Fastboot USB mode:
    1. Unplug USB
    2. Turn the device off
    4. Hboot will start.
    5. Wait for sdcard scan to complete.
    6. Plug in USB cord connected to the computer
    7. Press power ONCE and Fastboot USB mode starts

Q&A

sudo ./fastboot <yadda>

Complete tutorial

im having the same problem, can you provide instructions on how to do it in HBOOT?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.Move the fastboot shell script to sdk-tools where AdbWinApi.dll is located.
    2.Start-->Run-->write "cmd", press ENTER-->
    in command promt write
    cd C:\
    cd C:\directory\where\fastboot is located\

3.Turn off your phone and Boot it into fastboot.
    4.Connect your usb.(It should write FASTBOOT USB on your device).
    5.In command prompt write fastboot flash recovery E:\recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.0-j_r0dd_mod-buzz.img(Replace "E:\" with your clockworkmod image directory).
    6.Now in cmd write fastboot reboot
    7.You should be done now :)(When using clockwork mod recovery on wildfire use trackball button to select and Power button to go back )
    Hope this helps :D
    For anyone (like me) stuck after alpharevx: this info from another thread was life saver to me:

1. download the clockworkmod recovery file from link in the first post of this thread. Extract the contents of zip (u will see a file named "recovery.img")

2. Download the android flasher here

3. Run Android Flasher, and select "Recovery". (It's one of the options on the left side). Navigate to the location of your recovery.img, and select it. The phone should switch itself to fastboot, then install clockworkmod. It then goes right into clockworkmod, and you can follow the steps listed to install the root.

Worked for me on HTC Aria with stock 2.2
    I found the easiest method was to use HBOOT:

• Copy the PG32IMG.zip to the root of your SD Card
    • Turn off your phone
    • Press the power button and volume down button to boot into HBOOT
    • It'll look for .zips and find the one you put there.
    • Select yes to update, give it a few seconds then it'll tell you to reboot.
    • ClockworkMod should now be installed.
    I am stuck at step 3, it says waiting on device when flashing the recovery. Developer USB is enabled on my android, what am I doing wrong? I also tried to boot in to bootloader and have it connected with USB but nothing happened.

Edit: I just need to select Fastboot then it installed the recovery. I am now in the Clock work recovery but anything I select shows the tophat and does nothing, I can go back to the menu though.

I need to do more research on Clockwork I guess :)

Edit again: Pressing the scrollbutton on the wildfire did the trick, sorry about noobing this thread, hopefully this will help other noobs :p