[GUIDE] Recover your IMEI in 9 steps.

Search This thread

giankap

Aug 3, 2007

2) delete the EFS folder (BE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED IT UP IN A SAFE PLACE AS SAID IN STEP 1) from the root of your phone using root explorer.

3) reset the phone, after that, go to the root, and you can see that the EFS folder is still there, don't make any mistake, this EFS folder is new and generated by the android OS.

4) go to EFS folder using root explorer, and delete "nv_data.bin", "nv_data.bin.md5".

excuse me, when i delete my efs folder, and reboot the phone, the generated efs folder only contains :
folder named .files
cryptprop_applied_result
cryptprop_essiv
cryptprop_onetimeboot
cryptprop_securewipedata
folder named dmp

no nv_data files..and a lot of files missing

what I've to do?

thanks

Last edited:

iKai92

Jun 28, 2009
YESSSSSS!!!

YES MAN.

Thank you for this thread!!! I do the points and now i have my normaly IMEI!

I dont have the .nv_data.bin file. When you using the .nv_data.bak and the terminal emulator you can restore the IMEI.

You saved my life!!

zuperono

Nov 28, 2011
The entire process has been coded into an apk avaible on the market by Helroz
It's called SGSII_repair
It's just saved my phone.

I can't access market since my imei is broken.

Tried everything now, and nothing seems to work. My .bak files seems to be fine, but still don't work.
The service center tells me that the only way to fix the imei is to switch the motherboard (which will cost me around 500 USD).

Last edited:

xCruciaLx

Nov 28, 2011
It's called SGSII_repair

OMG.

You just saved my phone brother.

After installing this, the baseband and IMEI are now back to normal!

Damn. Thanks alot. I owe you and Helroz for this.

What a way to start my morning! :D

chargen2

May 1, 2011
Stratford, ON
If I've never rooted and don't intend to, do I still have to back up my efs folder?

Can this be done without root?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

nonchipmunk

Aug 2, 2011
I tried replacing my phone.apk with one that was "the perfect phone.apk". It could be done using root explorer. As soon as I did, I lost signal, and my IMEI no. A factory reset and reflashing VillainROM didn't help.

Luckily I had a backup that I had taken a month back using EFS Pro (Original Development section). I restored with that - but still it didn't show up. It was messed up pretty bad. So I restored and then flashed the stock ROM using ODIN. I then rooted, flashed VillainROM and restored all apps with TB. Saved!

Still, thanks a lot for the helpful guide vaskodogamagmail - I probably will need this one day :)

chargen2

May 1, 2011
Stratford, ON
Without root, You can't access any system folders, nor backup efs files with any tool/apk!

Thank you for your reply.
I don't want to root my phone - don't have any need to and don't want the additional tasks of the rooting process.
You've confirmed that I can't backup EFS without root, but if I don't root, is there still a risk of the EFS getting corrupt during a ROM upload?

Thanks!

ricey1986

Mar 6, 2009
Bolton
Thank you for your reply.
I don't want to root my phone - don't have any need to and don't want the additional tasks of the rooting process.
You've confirmed that I can't backup EFS without root, but if I don't root, is there still a risk of the EFS getting corrupt during a ROM upload?

Thanks!

This poses a good question, does the risk of losing imei only occur during custom roms or is it still present via official upgrades? If so couldn't we just return our phones to stock and claim under warranty?

Ricey

And for me, I had re-flashed my EFS folder with efx file that come with XXKH3 ROM.

And the whole EFS folder is now generic one without any nv-data files, without any bak or bin file, no nothing at all... Just some files about crypto or things like that.

And I done this since my baseband and signal suddenly lost, and flashing modem files didn't work, so I tried to flash efs file, and this is the result: fake IMEI....

How to fix this friend? I'm really at lost now... (T.T)

GTownBruce

Aug 25, 2010
Hi, when entering the following ADB command:

chown 1001:radio /efs/nv_data.bin

I receive the error message: No such file or directory

Phone is rooted; Superuser works... what's wrong here???

ipod86

Dec 10, 2011
hello,
Unfortunately I have lost my imei. Now I would like to save my S2 with the above instructions. but in step 4 I'm getting nowhere. root explorer can not delete the data set and no rw. In the the root folder it is possible to mount zu rw.

what can that be?
sorry for my english

Zaknaf3in

Feb 6, 2011
hello,
Unfortunately I have lost my imei. Now I would like to save my S2 with the above instructions. but in step 4 I'm getting nowhere. root explorer can not delete the data set and no rw. In the the root folder it is possible to mount zu rw.

what can that be?
sorry for my english

Hey mate,

I just yesterday had the exact same problem - fortunately, I was able to fix it.

Now, do you have any .bak files in your directory? The file that saved me was the .nvdata.bin.bak - so the systemmade backup of the original nvdata.

As I could NOT delete the .bin and NEITHER get the rw rights (via rootexplorer, adb, anything), I went to formatting the whole efs part with kTool
(market.android.com/details?id=net.hellcat.droiddev.ktool - can't link it because of restrictions of the board). The option for efs format is under the advanced options tab. Before you do that - make sure you get backups of your current efs folder on sdcard AND pc! Without having any .bak files - don't go this way, as things are different than for me, then!

After I formatted the efs (whose filesystem was corrupt I wager) and rebooted, I got the generic efs and the 0049 IMEI. Now at that stage I was able to delete everything and change rights of everything via rootexplorer, so this is when you should start to follow the instructions in the OP again. Totally saved me - and I never had a backup of my efs before I encountered the problem.

Hope that helps, mate!

Oct 1, 2011
Skopje
If you did not make any backup of your EFS folder, and your IMEI is messed up, this could be your solution to recover your lost IMEI. NOTE THAT AT LEAST YOU MUST HAVE THE SHIPPED ORIGINAL EFS FOLDER ON YOUR PHONE ( even if you didn't make a backup of it yet and even it's messed up ) FOR THIS METHOD TO WORK

My history with my IMEI:

I flashed my phone with some ROMs, and I didn't backup my EFS folder before, then My SGS2 IMEI was changed to 004999010640000, and we know this is the fake IMEI that is assigned to the phone if the nv_data.bin file is messed up.
so I researched. searched all the forums and didn't find anything that could cure my phone's IMEI and set it to the original IMEI number. so I experimented and after some hours, I fixed my IMEI.
one thing that led me to the conclusion that " .nv_data " file is the thing that I need to fix the IMEI is that they share a very look alike name, and they have the same 2MB size.

PS: I restored my phone's firmware to it's original PDA, Phone and CSC, rooted it with CF-Root, and then done this procedures below

here is what I have done:

you must have:
-Root
-Root explorer for copying files to and from EFS folder
-Android SDK for the ADB tools or Terminal in your phone.

It is interesting to know that the IMEI is stored in ".nv_data" file in ORIGINAL SHIPPED EFS folder too, so you just have to do these:

1) make a copy of your EFS folder to your sdcard using root explorer and then make a backup of the folder to your computer [ to have another copy if you had to format sd card sometime ]

2) delete the EFS folder (BE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED IT UP IN A SAFE PLACE AS SAID IN STEP 1) from the root of your phone using root explorer.

3) reset the phone, after that, go to the root, and you can see that the EFS folder is still there, don't make any mistake, this EFS folder is new and generated by the android OS.

4) go to EFS folder using root explorer, and delete "nv_data.bin", "nv_data.bin.md5".

5) go to your backed up EFS folder on your sdcard, copy the "imei" folder to the EFS folder at the root of your phone, then again go to the backed up EFS folder at yout sdcard and copy the " .nv_data " file to your EFS folder at the root of your phone using root explorer, NOTE: the dot in first of nv_data is not a mistake, copy the ".nv_data" file.

6) make another copy of the ".nv_data" file in EFS folder in your phone, so you would have 2 copies of ".nv_data" in EFS folder

7) rename one of ".nv_data" files to "nv_data.bin" and another one to "nv_data.bin.bak"

8) at your PC open CMD at the ADB tool path, or run Terminal at your phone enter these commands:

adb shell ( use this command of you use ADB, if you're using terminal, skip this line )
su ( ALLOW THE MESSAGE CAME AT YOUR PHONE's DISPLAY BY SUPERUSER PROGRAM )

9) reset your phone.... after that you have your original IMEI. you can check your IMEI by dialing *#06#.

and DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK.
and PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL EFS FOLDER BEFORE DELETING IT. IT HAS IMPORTANT FILES IN IT.
and sorry for bad English.

Hi there i wanna try your method but i cant find .nv_data file in efs folder .... i'm screwed right? or any .bak file on it. :( i'm really sad

08r3308

Apr 30, 2011
If you flash stock software with odin do you still need to back up ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

scaramonga

Dec 26, 2011
Many many thx to the OP for posting this, not tried it yet, and will wait till I sober up until doing so ;), as that is why I'm in the awful mess that I am at the moment.

My first post, hello to all you wise people on this wonderful board (long time lurker).

I expect no sympathy as I will admit that my Galaxy S II is broken due to my own stupid actions, and rather than make a new thread explaining so, being the 'noob' and watched the intro video, I'll add to what is another helpful thread on this great board. Please accept my apologies if it is long winded and boring, and I mean no harm and disrespect to anyone on here. I am an 'idiot' who went in with 'big feet' without properly reading the information freely available, here, or elsewhere, and cocked it up big time.

Let me give you guys a laugh.

I just got my GS2 and attempted to 'unlock' it with a little program called Galaxy_S Unlock. Little did I know, it was already unlocked lol, fair enough I thought, and it backed up my EFS files. For some reason though? (that reason being too pissed to understand) I proceeded to delete my EFS folder under Root Explorer, which it happily done so, and upon reboot, you can guess lol, no network, no data, full signal, but no way of connecting to my provider (Orange). Emergency calls only, no texts, network lock prompt, yup, the grim lot. I was on Darky's ROM and on every boot was 'enter network unlock code'.

I wiped phone and installed stock Samsung ROM (KE7 I think) and that got rid of the 'enter network unlock code' prompt, but this is now where I stand. No network, data, full signal and emergency calls only. WiFi OK as to be expected I suppose. Go to dial any number, 'No network available or detected'. Try to manually select network, same.

IMEI now shows 004999010640000.

I will not send my phone in for repair, due to who it is I bought it from, regardless, It's my fault and I have one simple question should the OP's method not work.

Could this fix my problem below?

-----> z3x box??

Many thx for listening to my drivel peeps :)

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to you all!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you did not make any backup of your EFS folder, and your IMEI is messed up, this could be your solution to recover your lost IMEI. NOTE THAT AT LEAST YOU MUST HAVE THE SHIPPED ORIGINAL EFS FOLDER ON YOUR PHONE ( even if you didn't make a backup of it yet and even it's messed up ) FOR THIS METHOD TO WORK

My history with my IMEI:

I flashed my phone with some ROMs, and I didn't backup my EFS folder before, then My SGS2 IMEI was changed to 004999010640000, and we know this is the fake IMEI that is assigned to the phone if the nv_data.bin file is messed up.
    so I researched. searched all the forums and didn't find anything that could cure my phone's IMEI and set it to the original IMEI number. so I experimented and after some hours, I fixed my IMEI.
    one thing that led me to the conclusion that " .nv_data " file is the thing that I need to fix the IMEI is that they share a very look alike name, and they have the same 2MB size.

PS: I restored my phone's firmware to it's original PDA, Phone and CSC, rooted it with CF-Root, and then done this procedures below

here is what I have done:

you must have:
    -Root
    -Root explorer for copying files to and from EFS folder
    -Android SDK for the ADB tools or Terminal in your phone.

It is interesting to know that the IMEI is stored in ".nv_data" file in ORIGINAL SHIPPED EFS folder too, so you just have to do these:

1) make a copy of your EFS folder to your sdcard using root explorer and then make a backup of the folder to your computer [ to have another copy if you had to format sd card sometime ]

5) go to your backed up EFS folder on your sdcard, copy the "imei" folder to the EFS folder at the root of your phone, then again go to the backed up EFS folder at yout sdcard and copy the " .nv_data " file to your EFS folder at the root of your phone using root explorer, NOTE: the dot in first of nv_data is not a mistake, copy the ".nv_data" file.

6) make another copy of the ".nv_data" file in EFS folder in your phone, so you would have 2 copies of ".nv_data" in EFS folder

7) rename one of ".nv_data" files to "nv_data.bin" and another one to "nv_data.bin.bak"

8) at your PC open CMD at the ADB tool path, or run Terminal at your phone enter these commands:

adb shell ( use this command of you use ADB, if you're using terminal, skip this line )
    su ( ALLOW THE MESSAGE CAME AT YOUR PHONE's DISPLAY BY SUPERUSER PROGRAM )

9) reset your phone.... after that you have your original IMEI. you can check your IMEI by dialing *#06#.

and DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK.
    and PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL EFS FOLDER BEFORE DELETING IT. IT HAS IMPORTANT FILES IN IT.
    and sorry for bad English.
    It's called SGSII_repair
    hello,

what can that be?
    sorry for my english

Hey mate,

I just yesterday had the exact same problem - fortunately, I was able to fix it.

Now, do you have any .bak files in your directory? The file that saved me was the .nvdata.bin.bak - so the systemmade backup of the original nvdata.

As I could NOT delete the .bin and NEITHER get the rw rights (via rootexplorer, adb, anything), I went to formatting the whole efs part with kTool
    (market.android.com/details?id=net.hellcat.droiddev.ktool - can't link it because of restrictions of the board). The option for efs format is under the advanced options tab. Before you do that - make sure you get backups of your current efs folder on sdcard AND pc! Without having any .bak files - don't go this way, as things are different than for me, then!

After I formatted the efs (whose filesystem was corrupt I wager) and rebooted, I got the generic efs and the 0049 IMEI. Now at that stage I was able to delete everything and change rights of everything via rootexplorer, so this is when you should start to follow the instructions in the OP again. Totally saved me - and I never had a backup of my efs before I encountered the problem.

Hope that helps, mate!
    I do not have the .nv_data file. onle *.bin or *.bak. Any suggestions or do I have to stick with the generic 00... IMEI? The whole procedure did not word for me, but thanks anyway.

By the way I think you do not need adb for that. You can execute the chmod command in a Terminal editor on the phone.

yes you can use terminal in your phone, but as for information for the other users, you don't need to enter " adb shell " command in step 8, because you are already connected to the phone's kernel.

I think you deleted your original EFS folder that came preinstalled with your phone, because I had " .nv_data " file.

anyway, use " nv_data.bin.bak " instead of " .nv_data " and see what happens.

thanks for the update. ;)

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Have copied the efs folder onto my PC.

At least i now know i have a backup, i can mess about with permissions there and then if it ever comes down to it!

thank you for your reply. but please don't play with EFS folder too much. the Android OS can't recover your IMEI if you lost it completely. I've been lucky with this method to restore my IMEI.

thanks.
    For the purpose of making a backup of the EFS folder, how about simply copying the whole folder into a safe place?

There is an app called Nitrality (if my spelling is not wrong) which one of its various functions is to backup and restore the EFS folder. I've made a backup using this method and it seems that what the app actually did was simply to copy the whole folder into a different directory. If it's simple like that, it seems that Root Explorer or similar app would be enough for that purpose.

Nevertheless, as there are numerous guides on this topic, all of which providing more complex methods, either using ADB or Terminal Emulator (i've made a backup using it as well, just in case, which resulted in the EFS being saved as tarball file), I have some doubts wheter simply copying the whole folder would be enough for a eventual restoration. Would it?

Just copying your EFS folder to a safe place is enough, using any method, but copying EFS folder messes up wih its permissions, so if you want to restore your nv_data.bin file, you must set the owner of the nv_data.bin using "chown" command in ADB like described in my post.
    After all, I hope this method works for everyone, worked for me though.