[GUIDE][Xperia 2011 Series] Gps bug fix for all Xperia 2011 phones !!!

Search This thread

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
This guide is to fix a problem that affect all Xperia 2011 phones, you can find a description here also with the link to official Sony support discussion: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23119111#post23119111

What we need:

1) Rooted phone. The more simple way to do it’s flash the stock firmware 4.0.A.2.0.42 with flashtool or wotan server, then run the easy ZurgRush-DoomLoRD script available here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321582.
Finally update the phone to 0.62 only via OTA or keep the 0.42 build.

2) Root explorer app for Android.

3) SQLite browser download for windows available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Instructions:

First of all make sure you have a full backup of your system or know how recover it if something goes wrong.
I’m not responsible of any damage you can do to your phone. This procedure can brick your phone or cause a boot loop ! ! ! Do it at your own risk !

Ok, let’s start.
Open the app Root explorer and browse the folders to find the file “settings.db” located here:
data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
Long click, then Copy the file and paste it in your Sd Card, make sure to select the appropriate option in the app. To do it press the “Mount” button until you can see Mount R/W like in the picture below.
root-explorer-rw.png

Now, get the file from your Sd card and move it in your windows Pc.
Make a copy or a backup of the file and save it in your secure Hard disc.
Install the software SQLite database browser for windows and open it, then go to “File” – “Open database”, select so “settings.db” file saved in your PC, but not the backup one :).
Go to “Browse Data” and under “Table” select “secure”.
Now find the line “assisted_gps_enabled” and after a double click change the value from “1” to “0”.
Here a picture of the line you should see with the old “1” value, remember to change it like described up :).
settingssqlite.png

Apply the change, then “File” – “Save database”.
To be sure the file is correctly edited, open again it with the software and go in the “secure” tab, if you see “0” in the assisted_gps line is ok, Exit.
Copy the edited file into your SD card and keep it there, Open root explorer and go into the folder:
long click on the file settings.db, then click “permissions”.
Note these settings in the paper or somewhere, it is very important do it carefully, is enough remember the flags position !!! However the correct permissions are:

User: Read Write
Group: Read Write
Others: no flags

Now, you are ready for the most important step.
Go again with Root explorer in your SD card, where is located the pc edited “settings.db” file, long click and “Copy”; now place it in the folder “\system”, long click and “Permissions”.
Make sure to select the correct flags as you noted them for the original file !!!! So:

If the flags of the edited file are the same of the original one or, I explane better, if the edited file don’t need permissions change because they are already the same of the original one noted before,stop you, it is very probably a boot loop.
Now long click on the edited file with the new permissions and select “Move”; paste it into the folders: data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
replace it. DONE !!!
Reboot your phone :).

Do it at your own risk !!!
This procedure works, is tested by me but I’m not responsible of any damages.
Now the Gps works like a charm and no more disconnections every 5 minutes with data disabled, finally we have a full offline Gps !!!
NOTE: This fix exclude totally the "Assisted mode", the gps will work only in "standalone mode" without data required. This doesn't mean you will have low performances, absolutely not , the gps chip works like a charm with the best precision, only the First fix will be a little slower, because not data assisted, basically you have to wait 20 seconds intead of 10 seconds. That's all.

This is not an official Sony fix, you can void your warranty doing so.
Tested on Xperia Neo, should work with Arc, Arc S, Ray, Neo V, Pro but it is not tested at the moment.
This is only for Gingerbread !!!
Remember to do a backup until use this guide, you have to be sure to recover your system without lose nothing, in most of Xda threads you can see how do it.

UPDATE 1: A user have reported a minor issue when replacing the settings.db file on .58 firmware. Basically when you confirm to replace the file with original, the same file disappear from the folder !!! This didn't never happen in my tests, however cause a boot loop, so to prevent it after the procedure is done exit from root explorer and open it again (don't reboot of course), go to the folder of settings.db file and make sure it is still here with the correct permissions.
If the file there isn't, copy again the edited one from your sd directly into the folder data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db (not in the root "\system") and change there the permissions.
Now the file should remain and you can enjoy the fix.

Good Luck
By Marco

Last edited:

thx84

Aug 7, 2009
Is it for Gingerbread or also for ICS?

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
No, unless you wipe user data.

Should be so !

But you can check your settings.db file with internal root explorer view, is enough click shortly on the file, and under the table secure, you could see the assisted_gps line with the value "0".
If it is again "1", please repeat the procedure. :)

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
Done this today.
will have to do it again if i flash a new rom in future?

Let me know if my guide has been simple to follow, or if you have encountered some problems not mentioned in the test ;)
I made it more clear then possible, step by step with explanations and images, so everyone could apply it.

sxxorp

Jul 10, 2011
London
Thanks man,
for several months I've suffered from GPS drops when tracking my sport activities by Endomondo - partly I've blamed the tracker app itself, or the phone's GPS hardware - but a so blatant fault...
My luck is that I got fed up today, so I found a solution immediately, as I can see you've tried to solve this problem for months, now (like we had done here with a different problem: http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/162629#162629)
Interesting info (so the GPS should performe better compared to other mobiles - till now they felt inferior): http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2012/01/19/glonass-support-in-our-latest-xperia-phones/#more-5134
I've tried GPS Test and it works!
I've downloaded this one also, if I've further problems, I install it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...51bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5Eb3VibGUuRmFzdGVyRml4Il0.

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
Yes, we have this problem since 6 months :(:( !!
Happy to hear you solve immediatly ;), did you encounter some troubles following the guide ? I hope all is clear for everyone :)

Please, don't install FasterFix or any apps that could speed up the first fix, is absolutely useless.

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Nice guide!

Please add to the OP that using this method, the user disables A-GPS functionality, which means GPS lock will be slower.

What is A-GPS?

GPS operation uses radio signals from satellites alone.
A-GPS additionally uses network resources to locate and use the satellites in poor signal conditions.
In very poor signal conditions, for example in a city, these signals may suffer multipath propagation where signals bounce off buildings, or be weakened by passing through atmospheric conditions, walls or tree cover. When first turned on in these conditions, some standalone GPS navigation devices may not be able to work out a position due to the fragmentary signal, rendering them unable to function until a clear signal can be received continuously for up to 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and ephemeris).

An Assisted GPS system can address these problems by using data available from a network.
Assistance falls into two categories:
1. Information used to more quickly acquire satellites
2. Calculation of position by the server using information from the GPS receiver

As an additional benefit, in some A-GPS device implementations, the amount of CPU and programming required for a GPS receiver is reduced by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server.

GPS, is slower on time to first fix. That is why many mobile phones combine A-GPS and other location services including Wi-Fi Positioning System and cell-site triangulation and sometimes a hybrid positioning system.

Reactions: BombayBoy

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
Nice guide!

Please add to the OP that using this method, the user disables A-GPS functionality, which means GPS lock will be slower.

Yes, i wrote so !
The first fix is a little slower, about 10-15 seconds more, and Agps is totally disabled, but is not a problem, the gps chip work so well, it doesn't need data like other normal car gps ;)

Zero|Cool

May 23, 2008
Portugal
I have a Q. I've got a .58 rom (original SE), rooted.
In you first post you only mention .42 and .62.
Have you tried with a .58 rom?

Cheers

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
I have a Q. I've got a .58 rom (original SE), rooted.
In you first post you only mention .42 and .62.
Have you tried with a .58 rom?

Cheers

0.58 is not available on my country, but i don't see any reason why it shouldn't work ;);). You have to modify a system file of android, not a Sony one, so should be the same.
Of course if you didn't experience the bug, don't try this guide:)
but i think 0.58 hasn't a bug fix, like all 4.xxxx builds

Zero|Cool

May 23, 2008
Portugal
0.58 is not available on my country, but i don't see any reason why it shouldn't work ;);). You have to modify a system file of android, not a Sony one, so should be the same.
Of course if you didn't experience the bug, don't try this guide:)
but i think 0.58 hasn't a bug fix, like all 4.xxxx builds

I have this bug. I believe all Xperias have this problem. I have been reading the thread on the SE talk forum, about the GPS bug. It was there I read about this fix ;)
I will try it and then report whether it worked or not. It can take a few days, I'm sick atm.

Last edited:

Zero|Cool

May 23, 2008
Portugal
I have tried with the method on 1st post and got a boot loop :(

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Ok so there's something wrong with your tuturial.
I have redone the process and when you paste the setting.db and it asks you to replace it, and you say yes, then the file disappears! But no fear, go back to your SD card, copy the file again and paste it again (this time it won't ask you to replace because no file is there!). Then go the permissions and change them accordingly.
Close program, reboot and it's done! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is to fix a problem that affect all Xperia 2011 phones, you can find a description here also with the link to official Sony support discussion: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23119111#post23119111

What we need:

1) Rooted phone. The more simple way to do it’s flash the stock firmware 4.0.A.2.0.42 with flashtool or wotan server, then run the easy ZurgRush-DoomLoRD script available here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321582.
    Finally update the phone to 0.62 only via OTA or keep the 0.42 build.

2) Root explorer app for Android.

3) SQLite browser download for windows available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Instructions:

First of all make sure you have a full backup of your system or know how recover it if something goes wrong.
    I’m not responsible of any damage you can do to your phone. This procedure can brick your phone or cause a boot loop ! ! ! Do it at your own risk !

Ok, let’s start.
    Open the app Root explorer and browse the folders to find the file “settings.db” located here:
    Long click, then Copy the file and paste it in your Sd Card, make sure to select the appropriate option in the app. To do it press the “Mount” button until you can see Mount R/W like in the picture below.
    root-explorer-rw.png

Now, get the file from your Sd card and move it in your windows Pc.
    Make a copy or a backup of the file and save it in your secure Hard disc.
    Install the software SQLite database browser for windows and open it, then go to “File” – “Open database”, select so “settings.db” file saved in your PC, but not the backup one :).
    Go to “Browse Data” and under “Table” select “secure”.
    Now find the line “assisted_gps_enabled” and after a double click change the value from “1” to “0”.
    Here a picture of the line you should see with the old “1” value, remember to change it like described up :).
    settingssqlite.png

Apply the change, then “File” – “Save database”.
    To be sure the file is correctly edited, open again it with the software and go in the “secure” tab, if you see “0” in the assisted_gps line is ok, Exit.
    Copy the edited file into your SD card and keep it there, Open root explorer and go into the folder:
    long click on the file settings.db, then click “permissions”.
    Note these settings in the paper or somewhere, it is very important do it carefully, is enough remember the flags position !!! However the correct permissions are:

Now, you are ready for the most important step.
    Go again with Root explorer in your SD card, where is located the pc edited “settings.db” file, long click and “Copy”; now place it in the folder “\system”, long click and “Permissions”.
    Make sure to select the correct flags as you noted them for the original file !!!! So:

If the flags of the edited file are the same of the original one or, I explane better, if the edited file don’t need permissions change because they are already the same of the original one noted before,stop you, it is very probably a boot loop.
    Now long click on the edited file with the new permissions and select “Move”; paste it into the folders: data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    replace it. DONE !!!
    Reboot your phone :).

Do it at your own risk !!!
    This procedure works, is tested by me but I’m not responsible of any damages.
    Now the Gps works like a charm and no more disconnections every 5 minutes with data disabled, finally we have a full offline Gps !!!
    NOTE: This fix exclude totally the "Assisted mode", the gps will work only in "standalone mode" without data required. This doesn't mean you will have low performances, absolutely not , the gps chip works like a charm with the best precision, only the First fix will be a little slower, because not data assisted, basically you have to wait 20 seconds intead of 10 seconds. That's all.

This is not an official Sony fix, you can void your warranty doing so.
    Tested on Xperia Neo, should work with Arc, Arc S, Ray, Neo V, Pro but it is not tested at the moment.
    This is only for Gingerbread !!!
    Remember to do a backup until use this guide, you have to be sure to recover your system without lose nothing, in most of Xda threads you can see how do it.

UPDATE 1: A user have reported a minor issue when replacing the settings.db file on .58 firmware. Basically when you confirm to replace the file with original, the same file disappear from the folder !!! This didn't never happen in my tests, however cause a boot loop, so to prevent it after the procedure is done exit from root explorer and open it again (don't reboot of course), go to the folder of settings.db file and make sure it is still here with the correct permissions.
    If the file there isn't, copy again the edited one from your sd directly into the folder data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db (not in the root "\system") and change there the permissions.
    Now the file should remain and you can enjoy the fix.

Good Luck
    By Marco
    Only for Gingerbread !!!
    I add this information in the guide, thanks
    Done this today.
    will have to do it again if i flash a new rom in future?
    No, unless you wipe user data.
    Nice guide!

What is A-GPS?

GPS operation uses radio signals from satellites alone.
    A-GPS additionally uses network resources to locate and use the satellites in poor signal conditions.
    In very poor signal conditions, for example in a city, these signals may suffer multipath propagation where signals bounce off buildings, or be weakened by passing through atmospheric conditions, walls or tree cover. When first turned on in these conditions, some standalone GPS navigation devices may not be able to work out a position due to the fragmentary signal, rendering them unable to function until a clear signal can be received continuously for up to 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and ephemeris).

An Assisted GPS system can address these problems by using data available from a network.
    Assistance falls into two categories:
    1. Information used to more quickly acquire satellites
    2. Calculation of position by the server using information from the GPS receiver

As an additional benefit, in some A-GPS device implementations, the amount of CPU and programming required for a GPS receiver is reduced by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server.

GPS, is slower on time to first fix. That is why many mobile phones combine A-GPS and other location services including Wi-Fi Positioning System and cell-site triangulation and sometimes a hybrid positioning system.
    FasterGPS

The second (Or third) post says this is for GB. Any chance we couls look at improving this on ICS? Sometimes my NEO (Pureness rom, build 11, but it has done this on other ROMS as well) does not find any satallites for minutes. If close the app and restart it finds them in seconds, then when I goto mapmyride or other navigation app it loses fix straight away.

It seems very random when it will get a fix and keep it, or get a fix and drop it immediately or not even get a fix...

Any help will be appreciated

I checked the line in sqlite manager and found the "1" there.....I know I could change it and see if it works, but just need to check if I will do any harm if I change it to a "0"..

hi,

why dont you check FasterGPS works without any fuss than most tricks out here...