Lapdock HDMI

Search This thread

zanzee

Apr 2, 2006
HDMI triggers the lapdock, it wont do anything till you have HDMI sending to the unit.

jiggytom

Jun 18, 2007
HDMI triggers the lapdock, it wont do anything till you have HDMI sending to the unit.
Who are you replying to? Me? I have both usb and hdmi extenders...both plugged in. Lapdock 500 does not work with Atrix. Have tried CM9 mirroring and Webtop in regular build. Same thing happens...Just keeps turning on and off.

Mgamerz

May 9, 2011
mgamerzproductions.com
You shouldbprobably try stock instead of cyanogenmod

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk on AT&T, the company that disappoints me so much that I have to use my tapatalk signature to tell everyone

aznatama

Oct 10, 2007
Okay, so I got a multiplicity of cables for extensions and whatnot...

For those of you ahving problems, it could be your cables, I had a few dude, specifically the micro-HDMI F to micro-HDMI M extension. Although it's actually the nicest looking w/ gold plated contacts that I bought from a stateside seller, this POS doesn't connect well. Appears that the PCB is too thin and not making all the contacts once plugged in.

In addition, I had to dremel away parts of the adapters to compensate for the curvature in the lapdock so the connections would be snug.

Anyways, I also confirmed that the lapdock does NOT memorize sound settings, ONLY screen brightness.

I set the screen to dim and sound to off w/ my atrix plugged in
plugged in PS3, screen dim, sound maxed
Set screen to max, sound to minimum (right above off) w/ atrix
plugged in PS3, screen dim, sound maxed
Set screen to max bright, sound medium
plugged in PS3, screen maxed, sound maxed

So, the only way, as it seems, is to disable the sound on your PS3 or xbox (change output to optical only, thereby disabling sound from HDMI) or blow out your lapdock speakers

If only there was a manual mechanical sound control knob, this thing would be perfect.

So I took off the cover for the USB/PWR PCB (remove 3 screws on the bottom, 2 of which are under the rubber feet) and noticed that the tiny speakers plug into the PCB via a nice plastic connector that can easily be unplugged. There's also some space in the channel in front of where the phone goes. So.... I'm thinking I can reroute the speaker wires to a switch, and then tapping a small hole and attaching a 1/8" headphone jack and possibly a volume control to it. Honestly though, I probably won't get the time to do this. :-( But is anyone wants to try, it would be the ultimate portable game system screen!

Last edited:

evilkokonut

Jun 15, 2010
I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6WEFW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
and this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdmi-male-to-micro-hdmi-female-adapter-converter-81206?item=1
to hook the lapdock up to my laptop to use as a second monitor. My laptop detects it when it is hooked up without the M/F hdmi extension, but it doesn't when I hook up the extension. I test the extension with my xbox and tv and it works fine. Is there a certain cable I should be using for this in order to go from the micro hdmi adaptor?

Mgamerz

May 9, 2011
mgamerzproductions.com
So the lapdock uses a standard USB micro female? I don't think the standard dock does. I want an extension cable. My case is too big and I'm using it for development. I thought the docks were the same but it appears to be more like the car dock vs the multimedia one.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Guilliamo

May 3, 2012
Dead Lapdock ???

My used/open box Lapdock arrived today. Seems to charge ok, but so far no video.
YouTube videos appear to show lap dock screen coming on when opened and then turning off if no HDMI signal is present. Is that correct ? Only component I'm not confident of is my micro HDMI female to HDMI male adapter, BUT if the screen should come to life...at least briefly...without regard to the HDMI, then I've got a dead lapdock. Any ideas for further troubleshooting ?

Thanks,
Guilliamo

gocard

May 10, 2012
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I got my Atrix Lapdock working as a monitor/keyboard for my desktop computer and plugged a mouse into the lapdock. Now I can game from the comfort of my bed while leveraging the power and relative quietness of a desktop computer :p

What I did (adapters purchased from dealextreme):

Popped off the casing around the HDMI/USB connectors on the lapdock.

Lapdock's Micro HDMI Male connector -> Micro HDMI Female to HDMI Male adapter -> HDMI Female to HDMI Female adapter -> HDMI Male to HDMI Male cable -> Computer's HDMI Female connector

Lapdock's Micro USB Male connector -> Micro USB Female to Mini USB Male adapter -> Mini USB Female to USB Female adapter -> USB Male to USB Female cable (and I opened up the cable to cut the red 5 volt wire) -> USB Male to USB Male cable -> Computer's USB Female connector

gmakris

Aug 2, 2008
I am new user with Atrix and the first thing I did was to upg to CM9 (clean installation)

After few minutes of use with the lapdock the phone freezes and I have to remove the device and reset it.
Other times after approx 5-10 minutes of use the phone resets itself!!

This is not normal - please provide feedback if you have the same problems with other or stock rom's

Reactions: Filipeknot

ServError

May 29, 2007
I'm going to be connecting my dock to a raspberry pi model A (when they come out) and had one concern. I'm creating an adapter for the USB on the lapdock to split it into a micro power plug for power and a data plug for the keyboard/mouse.

My question is, should I just not bother connecting the ground on the data plug side, or should I split the ground wire to go to both? Technically, splitting it should be fine by the normal rules of grounding, but I wanted to hear your thoughts.

tomh235

Dec 2, 2010
Shouldn't be necessary as USB is differentially signaled and the connectors probably share a common ground anyway.

Interested to see how this turns out!

billbradford

Jun 3, 2012
Houston
Inspired by this thread, I bought four lapdocks when I found them on sale about a month ago. Got the right adapters and cables, and my first test worked great with the laptop acting as a second monitor and USB keyboard/mouse for one of my Windows boxes. My only custom work was cutting the red +5V wire coming out of the MicroUSB port (which I did on the USB extension cable, to leave the lapdock unchanged).

It's also ended up perfect for my intended use - as a console for my Raspberry Pi ARM board, along with a BeagleBone board with DVI monitor cape, and a BeagleBoard Rev. C3 that has HDMI out.

I've attached some of the pictures from the initial cabling and test, as well as pictures from the last few days trying out the Raspberry Pi and the BeagleBone DVI cape. Since these pictures were taken, I've gotten the RPi to use the full screen resolution and gotten rid of overscan.

I just wish I could find some 3" or 6" MicroHDMI and MicroUSB male-to-female extension cables, so that I could avoid putting so much stress directly on the lapdock ports.

Attachments

• lapdock-ports.jpg
    lapdock-ports.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • lapdock-display-done.jpeg
    lapdock-display-done.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 902
  • beaglebone-console.jpeg
    beaglebone-console.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 912
  • rpi-x.jpg
    rpi-x.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 869
  • rpi-setup.jpg
    rpi-setup.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 863
Reactions: futaris

murdock442

Aug 20, 2010
Hello, I bought a droid bionic lapdock on impulse from 1saleaday yesterday. I have a galaxy nexus and I understand I can use it as an hdmi monitor but I was googling around to see how I could connect the keyb/mouse and came across this:

mbed.org/users/chema/notebook/barcode-scanner-usb-hid-over-bluetooth/

If I understand correctly this can be used instead of the wt12 as well:
sparkfun.com/products/10823

Any comments on how easy/hard it would be?

Thanks

Did you try this out? I was thinking about trying the RN-42-HID but I'm not sure what else would be required. I wonder if you need to map out the output of the keyboard and trackpad or if it is truly plug and play?

CampGareth

Oct 16, 2010
Maximum power output of lapdock?

I'd like a bit more grunt than a raspberry pi can provide, so I'm considering buying an Odroid-X (google it, I can't post links) and hooking that up, problem is it supposedly averages about 1A draw and can go up to 3A if you have a lot of USB HDDs spinning up. In fairness it is an ARM quad core, same CPU and amount of RAM as a Galaxy S3 but a price tag of $130. I was going to tape it onto the back of the lapdock but if the power draw is too much for it I'd have to build a little slate of sorts with a pile of batteries. I just figured a powerful ARM laptop for £145-ish sounds ideal, plus it's pretty versatile.

Anyone know what the *maximum* power output of the Lapdock is?

icarus78

Nov 27, 2006
anyone successfully use the lapdock with galaxy s3? I was thinking of this setup, but not too sure if it will work:

s3 -> 11-pin mhl adapter -> hdmi male to micro hdmi female cable -> lapdock micro hdmi male
s3 -> 11-pin mhl adapter -> 5-pin micro usb male to micro usb female cable -> lapdock micro usb male

i reckon that it is an ideal set up since the samsung mhl adapter needs power (which can be supplied by the lapdock's micro usb male), but as i don't have the mhl adapter currently, i'm not sure that the mhl adapter allows data to flow upstream back to the s3...

any kind soul in this forum who owns the s3 and the 11-pin mhl adapter can test this out?

if this works, we can have an inexpensive "clambook" :)

Last edited:

zanzee

Apr 2, 2006
anyone successfully use the lapdock with galaxy s3? I was thinking of this setup, but not too sure if it will work:

s3 -> 11-pin mhl adapter -> hdmi male to micro hdmi female cable -> lapdock micro hdmi male
s3 -> 11-pin mhl adapter -> 5-pin micro usb male to micro usb female cable -> lapdock micro usb male

i reckon that it is an ideal set up since the samsung mhl adapter needs power (which can be supplied by the lapdock's micro usb male), but as i don't have the mhl adapter currently, i'm not sure that the mhl adapter allows data to flow upstream back to the s3...

any kind soul in this forum who owns the s3 and the 11-pin mhl adapter can test this out?

if this works, we can have an inexpensive "clambook" :)

I tried it and all I can get going is the display but not otg usb at the same time.

fire3element

Dec 22, 2009
Has anyone that used the s3 on the lapdock with the 11pin MHL adapter get it to display full screen? The s3 displays on the lapdock, but the resolution is terrible. It also shows black bars on top and bottom of the image. I have tried stock rom, BeansTown rom, and LiquidSmooth rom. My phone is the VZW version if it makes a difference.

Also, has anyone here actually used the lapdock with the 11pin to 5pin adapter and the 5pin MHL? The 5pin MHL works fine on the lapdock with my GNex, although it is slighty grainy. Someone please chime in cause i am about to order the 11 to 5pin on amazon.
Edit: Forgot to mention that i have the Atrix lapdock. Also, does the wireless Allshare hub do full screen or is it the same?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that the lapdock does indeed work as a hdmi monitor and usb mouse / keyboard, I had some spare time and tried it out.

*update*
    I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vdc red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.

here's a video of it in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0

I sent an email to sparkfun inquiring about a micro hdmi female breakout board and here's they're response:

Level 1 level1@sparkfun.com to me

show details 2:33 PM (1 hour ago)

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your breakout board product suggestion. You bring up a great point about seeing this type of connection more and more. I will forward it on the appropriate people to see if this is something we can make and carry. Thank you again and have a great day!

Take care,
    Pamela

Hopefully we see something from this.
    It'd be awesome if you could post some pictures, such as a game console or camera :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0 go here, I just made a simple video demo'ing it working with my ps3.
    What kind of usb slicing is involved?

I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vdc red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.
    The lapdock is pretty much a dummy usb kb/mouse & hdmi display. We're pointing out different things that could be done w/ it. Ie, a very small system on chip w/ usb ports & an hdmi out would allow the lapdock to be used as a cheap & light netbook-y unit w/o the phone plugged in.

But mainly, it's the fact that you can use the lapdock as an 11" hdmi monitor w/ audio for pretty much anything. :)

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    Well, actually the latest CM weekly has LS HDMI mirroring, so the idea was to get the lapdock to hold me over until the eight core convertible tablets (the form factor of the Transformer Prime) start coming out. So would anybody be so kind as to test this with Cyanogenmod, Neutrino, etc.?

Latest weekly has LS HDMI?! :D does it work well on a TV? If so, I would be glad to try. I'll even post a video if I get it working since I wrote the previously linked guide anyway (btw, thanks for linking it earlier youareme7)

Edit: I don't think my trick will work since it does not attempt to load Webtop. But maybe there is some other trickery. I'll nandroid backup my current Wet Dream (just set it up this morning too :( and give it a go anyway)