Note II Bluetooth issue

Search This thread

freeborn99

Nov 5, 2009
Trying to find a kitkat ROM that supports Voice dialling via Bluetooth on my note II sgh-i317m. If I role back to 4.3 it works fine (like DN3). I am currently testing CM11 and it does not work (unless somebody has a work around)

Most bluetooth functions work fine except voice dial. I hit voice commands on my Jabra and it does hear my commands. I also tried a Motorla bluetooth device and experienced the same.

rmzalbar

Dec 13, 2012
Based my personal research, there is no known workaround. None of the operating systems, except those based on stock Samsung kernels, properly support bluetooth. They all have issues reliably initializing an audio and microphone connection to the headset after a voice command button press.

This includes ALL of the CyanogenMod releases.

It is a fairly underreported issue, and when it is reported, noone much cares - evidently, very few people actually use bluetooth to voice command their phone. So, it doesn't get any dev time. Anyone who tries to use their phone intelligently in their car, on a bicycle, or, in my case, on their motorcycle integrated with helmet comms should STRONGLY disagree. But, not everyone can sit about comfortably all day in horn rimmed glasses and ironic facial hair in a starbucks.

In my opinion, this relegates all of these releases to mere "toy" status, since this is an elementary feature of a modern phone - but as I understand it, the problem isn't particularly curable in any case due to somewhat hostile engineering and documentation practices by everyone's favorite, Samsung.

I have done as much work as I could do in researching the problem, reporting the problem and even studying how to collect logging information and eventually, a few attempts to roll my own modified kernel to attempt to solve the problem, to no avail - keep in mind I am not an android developer by any means, and have gone to some effort to learn what I could so as not to be merely a complainer.

My advice, if you insist on departing from the vendor operating system release series, is to seek the Samsung kernel-based mods, such as Ditto Note, as you have been doing. These have a higher chance of properly supporting the headset natively. They have recently moved to a kitkat release (that I haven't tested yet,) so that may satisfy.

As for myself, I will likely leave Samsung behind for my next phone, for something a little more open source friendly, hardware-wise. Being at the mercy of vendor updates and the S-voice for something I need to use more than 3 hours a day on the road has made me feel quite a fool.

Last edited:

rmzalbar

Dec 13, 2012
FYI, over the last few days, I installed both Official AT&T / Samsung KitKat 4.4.2 and Ditto Note 3 v5.2 (based on 4.4.2) and they both properly support Bluetooth audio and microphone for voice command after a button press.

AT&T / Samsung Official:

Unfortunately comes with a version of Google Search (v.3.6) that provides the terrible Google Voice Dialer in response to a bluetooth button press, so if you were planning on using that, be prepared to root, move it from /system/ to /user/, uninstall, and then go find and install Google Search v.3.4.

S-Voice works fine, but you may need to switch your APN from "phone" to "nxtgenphone," if you haven't done so already. Else, S-voice may only work on wi-fi, not mobile data. Check out the thread on doing so here:

http://xdaforums.com/note-3-att/general/psa-s-voice-stops-volte-markets-using-t2848929

Ditto Note 3 v5.2:

Comes with Google Search 3.4 which gives correct "Listening.." when bluetooth button pressed. Be sure to uncheck auto update in google play store until Google gets their crap figured out. Phone will flash as N7105, so download and use the build.prop for i317 from their extra files and turn on the telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1 setting. Set also ro.product.locale.language=en_US and ro.product.locale.region=US since you're an AT&T customer. You'll also need to add the nxtgenphone APN as above, I'm afraid. It's not rooted as it comes - use your recovery to flash the SuperSU binary of choice from your SD card after installation if you want root. It all works, though, and is my OS now.

Based my personal research, there is no known workaround. None of the operating systems, except those based on stock Samsung kernels, properly support bluetooth. They all have issues reliably initializing an audio and microphone connection to the headset after a voice command button press.

This includes ALL of the CyanogenMod releases.

It is a fairly underreported issue, and when it is reported, noone much cares - evidently, very few people actually use bluetooth to voice command their phone. So, it doesn't get any dev time. Anyone who tries to use their phone intelligently in their car, on a bicycle, or, in my case, on their motorcycle integrated with helmet comms should STRONGLY disagree. But, not everyone can sit about comfortably all day in horn rimmed glasses and ironic facial hair in a starbucks.

In my opinion, this relegates all of these releases to mere "toy" status, since this is an elementary feature of a modern phone - but as I understand it, the problem isn't particularly curable in any case due to somewhat hostile engineering and documentation practices by everyone's favorite, Samsung.

I have done as much work as I could do in researching the problem, reporting the problem and even studying how to collect logging information and eventually, a few attempts to roll my own modified kernel to attempt to solve the problem, to no avail - keep in mind I am not an android developer by any means, and have gone to some effort to learn what I could so as not to be merely a complainer.

My advice, if you insist on departing from the vendor operating system release series, is to seek the Samsung kernel-based mods, such as Ditto Note, as you have been doing. These have a higher chance of properly supporting the headset natively. They have recently moved to a kitkat release (that I haven't tested yet,) so that may satisfy.

As for myself, I will likely leave Samsung behind for my next phone, for something a little more open source friendly, hardware-wise. Being at the mercy of vendor updates and the S-voice for something I need to use more than 3 hours a day on the road has made me feel quite a fool.