[GUIDE][Troubleshoot a failed ODIN flash]

Search This thread

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
OK so I found this on the S2 forums but not anywhere else, so I figured I'll post this here, just in case somebody's ODIN failed.

Credits goes to @Hopper8 for the original thread on the S2 forums. Thank him there!

This guide is provided for information only. I will not be held responsible if you cause any damage, software or hardware, to your phone by following the guide. You are choosing to follow this guide, and as such, you choose to accept any responsibility for any mishap that may occur.

WARNING: Do not follow this guide if you think (or even suspect) that your USB port may be faulty in any way (ie, slow charging, loose connection among other faults). If your USB port is faulty, it must be fixed before flashing, or you are in danger of hard-bricking your phone. If the connection to the computer fails even for a moment, at best the flash will fail, and at worst the phone will need a new motherboard.

WARNING #2: If at all possible, make sure you have a backup of your efs. Efs is the folder which contains your imei. No imei =no signal. Flashing a ROM may corrupt the efs folder, in which case the backup will be invaluable. If you do not have a working backup of your efs folder, I am not responsible if you choose to follow this guide and your efs becomes corrupt.

Symptoms
This guide is for people who find themselves in the situation where:

• The phone currently will not boot.

• The phone can only enter download mode (If it can’t do that, see the section below.)

• If, for whatever reason, an Odin flash fails.

• It assumes you know the basics of Odin flashing. If not, see here.

No download mode?
If your phone won’t enter download mode, you can try three things:

• A USB jig. Don’t pin your hopes on this, they rarely succeed in this scenario.

• ‘Jump starting’ – You might need someone else to give you a hand for this. Take the battery out of your phone and wait 30 seconds. Now, press the button combination to enter download mode, and with this combination still depressed, get someone to put the battery back in. Hopefully this will jolt your phone into download mode.

• Take out the phone battery, and re-insert it, but don’t turn the phone on. Now, plug in the charger while holding the volume down button. Keep holding volume down till you enter download mode.
If your phone won’t enter download mode, and will do nothing but get hot when you attempt to do anything to it (charge it, turn it on), then your motherboard is in need of replacement.

Your options
I’ve seen a lot of people, when their Odin flash fails, either:

• Give up. Not a good option.

• Flash a .pit file. That should be used as an absolute last resort. There’s a lot to try before getting to that stage! If a flash of a .pit file fails in Odin, your phone is well and truly unrecoverable, and you will need a motherboard (MB) replacement.

• Send their phone to a service centre. That costs money (& you’re without a phone for a week or so).

• Read on and hopefully you will be able to recover your phone without spending anything.

What to do
Keep flashing via Odin. You don't really have a choice. As for the files to flash: It’s worth trying to flash a range of stock ROM’s and custom kernels. I recommend downloading a stock firmware from SamMobile for your device. I recommend 4.1.2 Jellybean since it doesn't contain Knox. But if u prefer 4.3 or 4.4 Kitkat, go ahead. See here for the stock ROM’s.

As for custom kernels: If you manage to flash a custom kernel onto your phone, that means you probably have a custom recovery, from which you can either restore a nandroid backup, or flash a custom ROM. Even still:

Your best bet is to continue to attempt to flash Stock ROMs for your model variant and region.

Now that you have chosen a file to flash, continue on.

If Odin won't recognise the phone ...if it does, continue to 'Preliminary Steps'
Firstly, keep trying. Many users will find that Odin will recognise the phone in download mode eventually, but this will take perseverance. Note that if you do get Odin to recognise your phone in download mode, attempt to flash a stock ROM then. Don't unplug it thinking 'you'll try again later'.

Things to try if the phone isn't recognised by Odin:

• Open Odin without the phone plugged in. Enter Download mode without the phone plugged in. Now, plug the phone in and wait a few seconds.
Didn't work? Try again in a different USB port. Still didn't work? Try all the USB ports, and then a different computer. If that doesn't work:

• Uninstall the USB drivers using Revo Uninstaller. This program can remove the registry edits from the drivers, giving you a completely clean install of the drivers. Reinstall the USB drivers: Latest version here. If you are using Windows 8, I strongly recommend you try Windows 7/XP. These drivers don’t usually work with Windows 8. (See here if you’re on Windows 8.) Otherwise, use the linked file to the Samsung USB drivers.
If you're still not having any luck, then follow these steps: (Credits to 4-2ndtwin)
1. Turn off both the computer and phone. Fully shut down.
2. Disconnect phone from computer: the USB cable from both the computer and phone.
3. Boot up the computer. Log in and let it settle.
4. Start up Odin and let it settle.
5. Put phone in download mode.
6. Connect phone to a USB port.

If that doesn't work, keep repeating those steps, with different USB ports on your PC/laptop. Change the USB cable you're using, multiple times (preferably use the cable that came with the phone) (I've found that the cable that came with the phone isn't very durable. If possible, use a new cable.) If all that doesn't work, start again at 'If Odin won't recognise the phone' on a different computer. Keep persevering :)

Now assuming you can get your phone into download mode, and is recognised by Odin:

Preliminary steps
Odin failing a flash usually isn’t a failure of the software itself. It’s usually to do with the way the flash is set up. Before we get on to the troubleshooting steps: you must always- i.e. every flash:

• Run Odin as an administrator in Windows (only for Windows 7. This doesn’t apply for Windows XP). Yes, Odin is Windows only. If you use Linux/a Mac, you’ll need to use someone else’s Windows computer.

• Ensure Kies is installed on your computer but you must kill all Kies running services in the Windows task manager. Most people have 4 running continuously. I personally only have 2, so don’t stress if you can’t find 4 to kill.

• Make sure you're not using a USB hub of any description.

If you haven’t done those steps on your previous Odin flash, it’s worth flashing again making sure you do those three things. Still didn’t work?

Troubleshooting steps
Things to do:

• Change the USB cable you’re using. Preferably, use the original cable that came with the phone. If you’re already using the original cable, change to another, genuine, Note 2 cable. Try at least 3 different cables.

• Try different USB ports on your computer. You have to be using a mainboard (powered) port. Try as many of those as you have on your computer.

• Use different versions of Odin. Try them all, but particularly 1.3, 1.85, 3.04 and 3.07. Make sure to extract the Odin files before using them. (Go to the original thread to download, I can't upload files from the XDA app)

• Reinstall the Samsung USB drivers. If you are using Windows 8, I strongly recommend you try Windows 7/XP. These drivers don’t usually work with Windows 8. (See here if you’re on Windows 8.) Otherwise, use the linked file.

• Turn off all antivirus/antimalware/antispyware/firewalls. I advise downloading all files you need before doing this step so you’re not without antivirus whilst downloading files. I’m not responsible if you do manage to get a computer virus during this time.

• Check the rom/kernel you download, making sure it’s not a corrupted file. The best way to do this is to check the MD5 sum using md5summer. If you don’t have the MD5 sum, then you can use WinRar, 7Zip, or IZarc to test the file. If any tests (MD5 or the 7Zip test) fail, then you need to re-download the file. Test the new file before using it.

• Run Windows update on the computer you’re using.

What now?
Ok, so if you’ve got to the bottom of the list, but you’re still having failed flashes:

• Use a different computer. Now, run through the list again. Yes, the whole list. Try everything all over again on the new computer. Didn’t work? Try again on one more computer. Keep persevering, the feeling you’ll get when your Note 2 is back to life will be worth it :)

Last Resort
What if… Ok, so you genuinely can’t get anything to work. This really is a last resort. It’ll be either up to you to choose whether:

• You research the flashing of .pit files. Note that your phone will be stuffed if it fails. Full stop. Motherboard replacement. Ask yourself “if Odin won’t flash a ROM without failing, why will it flash a .pit successfully?"

• You take your phone to a service centre.

Many thanks to keithross39 for proofreading & editing this guide (On the original S2 thread.)

Credits:
MistahBungle, on whose posts these troubleshooting steps are based.
keithross39, for his guide on replacing the USB port.
Intratech, for his guides on the basics of Odin flashing & stock ROM collection.
4-2ndtwin, for his troubleshooting steps if Odin won't recognise the phone.
SamHaLeKe, for the updated Samsung USB drivers.
daerragh, for the Windows 8 drivers.

N7105 stock pit file here.
N7105 flashable zip for repartitioning here.
N7100 flashable zip for repartitioning here.

HOPE THIS HELPS :)

P.S. this is why I never use ODIN. Data runs through a cable, which might disconnect any moment. My tip, get a custom recovery using ROM Toolbox or something, and flash your ROM/Kernel from there. Only use ODIN for stock ROMs.

P.S. Again, thank the original thread author, don't thank me! :D

Last edited:

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
Hi

Please check that all information is correct for your phone. I used information snippets from over 25 XDA threads, and they may be pertinent to an S2. For example, are all those Odin versions compatible with a Note 2 and the associated firmware? I don't know, but you need to know. (You also didn't attach the zip file of Odin files that I did).

It may also be helpful to link my original post so people can continue reading the thread, it may be helpful to someone to read past the first post. (i.e., credits to Hopper8 for his >original post<)

Last edited:

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Hi

Please check that all information is correct for your phone. I used information snippets from over 25 XDA threads, and they may be pertinent to an S2. For example, are all those Odin versions compatible with a Note 2 and the associated firmware? I don't know, but you need to know. (You also didn't attach the zip file of Odin files that I did).

It may also be helpful to link my original post so people can continue reading the thread, it may be helpful to someone to read past the first post. (i.e., credits to Hopper8 for his >original post<)

Can't upload files with xda app. I'll check everything to make sure it works with the Note 2. Thanks for the tip

N7105 rocking AOSB with AGNi kernel,
Sent from the "China who bans Google"
Click "Thanks" if I was of any help!

smeet.somaiya

Jan 24, 2014
Mumbai
@Irwenzhao

Lovely guide for troubleshooting. Really appreciated.

By the way I have a question.
As you know I have re-partitoned my phone.
So what if I want to return to stock rom and I flash with pit on odin and odin fails?
Then I would need a motherboard replacement? [emoji33]

Sent from my N7100 using Tapatalk

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
@Irwenzhao

Lovely guide for troubleshooting. Really appreciated.

By the way I have a question.
As you know I have re-partitoned my phone.
So what if I want to return to stock rom and I flash with pit on odin and odin fails?
Then I would need a motherboard replacement? [emoji33]

Sent from my N7100 using

Yep. u fail a pit file flash, your device's gone. That's why I recommend using a recovery flashable file to repartition, it's safer. :)

P.S. don't thank me, thank Hopper8 in his original thread for making this guide.

smeet.somaiya

Jan 24, 2014
Mumbai
Yep. u fail a pit file flash, your device's gone. That's why I recommend using a recovery flashable file to repartition, it's safer. :)

P.S. don't thank me, thank Hopper8 in his original thread for making this guide.

Okay. So better I make a zip to revert to stock partitions too. Would be safer then.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

But I know 1user whose odin flashes were failing even with the pit. But he was able to recover his phone by flashing a factory firmware.
@tnt4ever just want to confirm with you did your odin fail even with the pit file? A few days ago when you made the mistake of downgrading to MJ5?

singhpratik87

Sep 9, 2010
Okay. So better I make a zip to revert to stock partitions too. Would be safer then.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

But I know 1user whose odin flashes were failing even with the pit. But he was able to recover his phone by flashing a factory firmware.
@tnt4ever just want to confirm with you did your odin fail even with the pit file? A few days ago when you made the mistake of downgrading to MJ5?

Read his experience

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore

I think that's cause stock firmware flashes a .pit file too.

smeet.somaiya

Jan 24, 2014
Mumbai
I think that's cause stock firmware flashes a .pit file too.

Nope. It doesn't. But, I read the thread which @singhpratik87 had linked up in his post here.
I found that there is one in a thousand chance of pit to fail. It's a small file takes hardly miliseconds to flash. Unless your connection fails the pit won't fail.

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Nope. It doesn't. But, I read the thread which @singhpratik87 had linked up in his post here.
I found that there is one in a thousand chance of pit to fail. It's a small file takes hardly miliseconds to flash. Unless your connection fails the pit won't fail.

And this is why I dislike ODIN, unstable connections.

What to do
Keep flashing via Odin. You don't really have a choice. As for the files to flash: It’s worth trying to flash a range of stock ROM’s and custom kernels. I recommend downloading a stock firmware from SamMobile for your device. I recommend 4.1.2 Jellybean since it doesn't contain Knox. But if u prefer 4.3 or 4.4 Kitkat, go ahead. See here for the stock ROM’s.

I have an unbranded GT-N7100 and on the Sammobile site I don't know which firmware country to select. I am in US, I got the phone off ebay, stuck at the second boot screen-flashing samsung or is it ok to use this rom here? i.e. [ROM][STOCk][JB][4.1.2]JZO54K.N7000DXLSE-OLB[25-04-2013]

Last edited:

pokamonNereid

Jan 2, 2014
Baguio
hi i just want to ask and not start a new thread thogh, can i flash a stock rom from sammobile / live.samsung... and flash it with odin. i know the knox part, i have already tripped it though.

or will it be useless when i flash a custom rom over it with twrp/ cwm/ philz?

thongkh

Oct 7, 2009
Hi,

my N7100 have a stroke and now stuck in boot screen, trying to flash the phone with stock firmware download from Sammobile (N7100XXUFNI4_N7100OLBFNI1_N7100DXUFNI1_HOME.tar), Odin v3.07 and v3.09 but failed.

Odin log as below

Code:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N7100XXUFNI4_N7100OLBFNI1_N7100DXUFNI1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> sboot.bin
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/004> FAIL!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

please help

Side54723

Dec 7, 2014
Hi,

my N7100 have a stroke and now stuck in boot screen, trying to flash the phone with stock firmware download from Sammobile (N7100XXUFNI4_N7100OLBFNI1_N7100DXUFNI1_HOME.tar), Odin v3.07 and v3.09 but failed.

Odin log as below

Code:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N7100XXUFNI4_N7100OLBFNI1_N7100DXUFNI1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> sboot.bin
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/004> FAIL!

please help

Hello,
Same for me. Please help : http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-2/help/stuck-samsung-screen-failed-to-mount-t2965275/page2

thongkh

Oct 7, 2009

Seem like you having the same problem like me, i have not tried CWM yet, will try soon :p hope mine can be fixed with CWM :D

UPDATE 16Dec2014
tried to flash PhilZ Touch 6 Recovery, but failed. :crying:

Code:
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> philz_touch_6.48.4-n7100.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/005> FAIL!
<ID:0/005> 
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.

please help :silly:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK so I found this on the S2 forums but not anywhere else, so I figured I'll post this here, just in case somebody's ODIN failed.

Credits goes to @Hopper8 for the original thread on the S2 forums. Thank him there!

This guide is provided for information only. I will not be held responsible if you cause any damage, software or hardware, to your phone by following the guide. You are choosing to follow this guide, and as such, you choose to accept any responsibility for any mishap that may occur.

WARNING: Do not follow this guide if you think (or even suspect) that your USB port may be faulty in any way (ie, slow charging, loose connection among other faults). If your USB port is faulty, it must be fixed before flashing, or you are in danger of hard-bricking your phone. If the connection to the computer fails even for a moment, at best the flash will fail, and at worst the phone will need a new motherboard.

WARNING #2: If at all possible, make sure you have a backup of your efs. Efs is the folder which contains your imei. No imei =no signal. Flashing a ROM may corrupt the efs folder, in which case the backup will be invaluable. If you do not have a working backup of your efs folder, I am not responsible if you choose to follow this guide and your efs becomes corrupt.

Symptoms
    This guide is for people who find themselves in the situation where:

• The phone currently will not boot.

• The phone can only enter download mode (If it can’t do that, see the section below.)

• If, for whatever reason, an Odin flash fails.

• It assumes you know the basics of Odin flashing. If not, see here.

No download mode?
    If your phone won’t enter download mode, you can try three things:

• A USB jig. Don’t pin your hopes on this, they rarely succeed in this scenario.

• ‘Jump starting’ – You might need someone else to give you a hand for this. Take the battery out of your phone and wait 30 seconds. Now, press the button combination to enter download mode, and with this combination still depressed, get someone to put the battery back in. Hopefully this will jolt your phone into download mode.

• Take out the phone battery, and re-insert it, but don’t turn the phone on. Now, plug in the charger while holding the volume down button. Keep holding volume down till you enter download mode.
    If your phone won’t enter download mode, and will do nothing but get hot when you attempt to do anything to it (charge it, turn it on), then your motherboard is in need of replacement.

Your options
    I’ve seen a lot of people, when their Odin flash fails, either:

• Give up. Not a good option.

• Flash a .pit file. That should be used as an absolute last resort. There’s a lot to try before getting to that stage! If a flash of a .pit file fails in Odin, your phone is well and truly unrecoverable, and you will need a motherboard (MB) replacement.

• Send their phone to a service centre. That costs money (& you’re without a phone for a week or so).

• Read on and hopefully you will be able to recover your phone without spending anything.

What to do

As for custom kernels: If you manage to flash a custom kernel onto your phone, that means you probably have a custom recovery, from which you can either restore a nandroid backup, or flash a custom ROM. Even still:

Your best bet is to continue to attempt to flash Stock ROMs for your model variant and region.

Now that you have chosen a file to flash, continue on.

If Odin won't recognise the phone ...if it does, continue to 'Preliminary Steps'
    Firstly, keep trying. Many users will find that Odin will recognise the phone in download mode eventually, but this will take perseverance. Note that if you do get Odin to recognise your phone in download mode, attempt to flash a stock ROM then. Don't unplug it thinking 'you'll try again later'.

Things to try if the phone isn't recognised by Odin:

• Open Odin without the phone plugged in. Enter Download mode without the phone plugged in. Now, plug the phone in and wait a few seconds.
    Didn't work? Try again in a different USB port. Still didn't work? Try all the USB ports, and then a different computer. If that doesn't work:

• Uninstall the USB drivers using Revo Uninstaller. This program can remove the registry edits from the drivers, giving you a completely clean install of the drivers. Reinstall the USB drivers: Latest version here. If you are using Windows 8, I strongly recommend you try Windows 7/XP. These drivers don’t usually work with Windows 8. (See here if you’re on Windows 8.) Otherwise, use the linked file to the Samsung USB drivers.
    If you're still not having any luck, then follow these steps: (Credits to 4-2ndtwin)
    1. Turn off both the computer and phone. Fully shut down.
    2. Disconnect phone from computer: the USB cable from both the computer and phone.
    3. Boot up the computer. Log in and let it settle.
    4. Start up Odin and let it settle.
    5. Put phone in download mode.
    6. Connect phone to a USB port.

If that doesn't work, keep repeating those steps, with different USB ports on your PC/laptop. Change the USB cable you're using, multiple times (preferably use the cable that came with the phone) (I've found that the cable that came with the phone isn't very durable. If possible, use a new cable.) If all that doesn't work, start again at 'If Odin won't recognise the phone' on a different computer. Keep persevering :)

Now assuming you can get your phone into download mode, and is recognised by Odin:

Preliminary steps
    Odin failing a flash usually isn’t a failure of the software itself. It’s usually to do with the way the flash is set up. Before we get on to the troubleshooting steps: you must always- i.e. every flash:

• Run Odin as an administrator in Windows (only for Windows 7. This doesn’t apply for Windows XP). Yes, Odin is Windows only. If you use Linux/a Mac, you’ll need to use someone else’s Windows computer.

• Ensure Kies is installed on your computer but you must kill all Kies running services in the Windows task manager. Most people have 4 running continuously. I personally only have 2, so don’t stress if you can’t find 4 to kill.

• Make sure you're not using a USB hub of any description.

If you haven’t done those steps on your previous Odin flash, it’s worth flashing again making sure you do those three things. Still didn’t work?

Troubleshooting steps
    Things to do:

• Change the USB cable you’re using. Preferably, use the original cable that came with the phone. If you’re already using the original cable, change to another, genuine, Note 2 cable. Try at least 3 different cables.

• Try different USB ports on your computer. You have to be using a mainboard (powered) port. Try as many of those as you have on your computer.

• Use different versions of Odin. Try them all, but particularly 1.3, 1.85, 3.04 and 3.07. Make sure to extract the Odin files before using them. (Go to the original thread to download, I can't upload files from the XDA app)

• Reinstall the Samsung USB drivers. If you are using Windows 8, I strongly recommend you try Windows 7/XP. These drivers don’t usually work with Windows 8. (See here if you’re on Windows 8.) Otherwise, use the linked file.

• Turn off all antivirus/antimalware/antispyware/firewalls. I advise downloading all files you need before doing this step so you’re not without antivirus whilst downloading files. I’m not responsible if you do manage to get a computer virus during this time.

• Check the rom/kernel you download, making sure it’s not a corrupted file. The best way to do this is to check the MD5 sum using md5summer. If you don’t have the MD5 sum, then you can use WinRar, 7Zip, or IZarc to test the file. If any tests (MD5 or the 7Zip test) fail, then you need to re-download the file. Test the new file before using it.

• Run Windows update on the computer you’re using.

What now?
    Ok, so if you’ve got to the bottom of the list, but you’re still having failed flashes:

• Use a different computer. Now, run through the list again. Yes, the whole list. Try everything all over again on the new computer. Didn’t work? Try again on one more computer. Keep persevering, the feeling you’ll get when your Note 2 is back to life will be worth it :)

Last Resort
    What if… Ok, so you genuinely can’t get anything to work. This really is a last resort. It’ll be either up to you to choose whether:

• You research the flashing of .pit files. Note that your phone will be stuffed if it fails. Full stop. Motherboard replacement. Ask yourself “if Odin won’t flash a ROM without failing, why will it flash a .pit successfully?"

• You take your phone to a service centre.

Many thanks to keithross39 for proofreading & editing this guide (On the original S2 thread.)

Credits:
    MistahBungle, on whose posts these troubleshooting steps are based.
    keithross39, for his guide on replacing the USB port.
    Intratech, for his guides on the basics of Odin flashing & stock ROM collection.
    4-2ndtwin, for his troubleshooting steps if Odin won't recognise the phone.
    SamHaLeKe, for the updated Samsung USB drivers.
    daerragh, for the Windows 8 drivers.

N7105 stock pit file here.
    N7105 flashable zip for repartitioning here.
    N7100 flashable zip for repartitioning here.

HOPE THIS HELPS :)

P.S. this is why I never use ODIN. Data runs through a cable, which might disconnect any moment. My tip, get a custom recovery using ROM Toolbox or something, and flash your ROM/Kernel from there. Only use ODIN for stock ROMs.

P.S. Again, thank the original thread author, don't thank me! :D
    Hi