[Q] New to WP7 and Samsung Focus

Search This thread

Juan994

Apr 4, 2012
Hi, I'm a big fan of WP7 and I'm finally getting my first device, it was supposed to be a Lumia 800 but I had some issues with the order and considering some personal aspects, I decided to buy the Samsung Focus and wait for the Apollo-designed devices later this year.

I'm preparing everything for the phone (any advice will be appreciated), I linked my live account with Flickr and Facebook, I synced some content to Skydrive and bought a 16gb Markvision class 4 microSD (I didn't find any Markvision microSD in the compatible list so I guess I'll get a random result), something else to have in mind?

Lastly, I have some question regarding the OS and the unlock of the phone: 1. I have experiencie with iOS and the version's structure, and even with Android, but I can't understand the nomenclature in WP7 (I get 7.5 mango and so on but not the 7.10.7720), if someone can explain me a little bit about it or show me a link to some information I'll appreciate it. 2. How can I unlock the phone? (Jailbreak) I found many posts and videos but not sure if the jailbreak works with Mango, or if I can unlock WP7 and update to mango or what process should I make?*

Thank you very much and hope someone can help me! I've already read the samsung focus wiki and many posts in the forum but any link will help! Thanks!

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Lost in Europe :)
Welcome to the forum!

I suggest you start with reading the Focus wiki, for starters (in my sig). I think the card should be fine, if it doesn't retain data (ie pictures, videos, apps, music) between soft resets (turn off/turn on) then it's not compatible. Most C4 cards should be ok.

Now, for your questions:
7.5 is the "generic" name for the Mango update to WP7 (aka Windows Phone 7). The numbers in 7.10.7720 represent:
7=OS number
10=generation. read more about versions here. Started with 7.0.xxxx and Mango is 7.10.7xxx (similar to Service Pack for Windows, if you prefer).
7720 is the OS (WP7) build/version. Mango RTM starts at 7720 build. Current released build is 8107

To dev unlock (jailbreak) the phone, follow the 1st post in my signature or go here

Good luck using your first WP7 phone, Focus is a really nice phone. And feel free to ask questions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Juan994

Juan994

Apr 4, 2012
Thanks!

Thank you very much!

So the unlock that you mentioned will work even in the last 8107 update?

Other thing I don't like is the customization that AT&T put in the phone, and considering that I won't use ot in the US, its kind of meaningless, is there any way to flash the device to a clean WP7 version and then update it to Mango also free of AT&T things?

Lastly, about the updates, is WP7 like iPhone, so Apple send the update to every phone no matter the carrier or country? Or the carrier define when to update? If is the second option, can we manually force an update? And since I use a Mac, I'm worried if the software for Mac users is able to update the phone or not.

Thanks again and its great to see a big community around WP7!

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Thank you very much!

Other thing I don't like is the customization that AT&T put in the phone, and considering that I won't use ot in the US, its kind of meaningless, is there any way to flash the device to a clean WP7 version and then update it to Mango also free of AT&T things?

Lastly, about the updates, is WP7 like iPhone, so Apple send the update to every phone no matter the carrier or country? Or the carrier define when to update? If is the second option, can we manually force an update? And since I use a Mac, I'm worried if the software for Mac users is able to update the phone or not.

You're welcome.

Yes, WindowBreak project works with the latest 8107 build.

The cleanest stock rom is the Rogers rom. There are a few custom roms as well. You can flash Rogers rom on your AT&T and use it with no problems (I have mine like that).

Updates: MS releases the updates but they are delivered by the carriers. You can manually update, read this thread. If you're on Rogers, you won't have to, though ;)

Juan994

Apr 4, 2012
Question about hardware vesion

Thank you very much! I'm learning a lot! I have a quick question, I guess that the phone that will arrive is version 1.4 (because its from the last ones) so is there any way to put the rogers rom?

If not, I've heard that the best way to "clean" AT&T rom is to delete the preinstalled aaplicationds and activating things like the SMS send/recived check, but I don't know the name and where I can get that app, can you help me with that?

Thank you again for all the information!

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Thank you very much! I'm learning a lot! I have a quick question, I guess that the phone that will arrive is version 1.4 (because its from the last ones) so is there any way to put the rogers rom?

If not, I've heard that the best way to "clean" AT&T rom is to delete the preinstalled aaplicationds and activating things like the SMS send/recived check, but I don't know the name and where I can get that app, can you help me with that?

You're welcome.

For 1.4, you can just remove the apps and enable the SMS delivery notification. The only thing left will be the logo, but that's ok :)

Alternately, you can try a custom ROM for 1.4 but I have to warn you that a very few users had issues being stuck at Samsung logo after flashing custom roms. Vast majority is fine.

Juan994

Apr 4, 2012
Great phone!

Hi,

It took me a long to respond but it's because the phone arrived and it's just amazing!

I installed the 16GB SD card, so far so good, jailbreaked it with windowbreak and playing around with all the amazing features!

The screen is good, although there is a little annoying thing with the tiny grid surrounding the pixels.

Anyways, I'd like to answer a few more things if there is no problem with that!

1. The zune player is great, but the videos I saw showed some kind of integration with Zune marketplace, as I live outside the US, I understand that I can't access the music marketplace, but there is no way to at least see the artist bio or the image of the artist? I saw a topic about this but I didn't found an answer

2. My phone's version is 7.10.7720.68 and zune didn't found any update, is there anyway to force the update to the latest version?

3. How do I install the WP7 Tools and the Samsung Tools?

4. Is there anyway to change the tiles color? I saw a tutorial but I've heard that I doesn't work in mango.

Thank you very much for everything! Sorry to bother too much but this is the best forum to topics related to WP7!

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Hi,

It took me a long to respond but it's because the phone arrived and it's just amazing!

I installed the 16GB SD card, so far so good, jailbreaked it with windowbreak and playing around with all the amazing features!

The screen is good, although there is a little annoying thing with the tiny grid surrounding the pixels.

Anyways, I'd like to answer a few more things if there is no problem with that!

1. The zune player is great, but the videos I saw showed some kind of integration with Zune marketplace, as I live outside the US, I understand that I can't access the music marketplace, but there is no way to at least see the artist bio or the image of the artist? I saw a topic about this but I didn't found an answer

2. My phone's version is 7.10.7720.68 and zune didn't found any update, is there anyway to force the update to the latest version?

3. How do I install the WP7 Tools and the Samsung Tools?

4. Is there anyway to change the tiles color? I saw a tutorial but I've heard that I doesn't work in mango.

Thank you very much for everything! Sorry to bother too much but this is the best forum to topics related to WP7!

Glad you like the phone, you're not the only one :) It may be a bit obsolete today compared to the new releases but except for the new bling (camera or screen improvements) it performs about the same. Plus you have additional space. You'll get used to the screen, don't worry ;)

1. This one I'll leave for music fans... I'm definitely not an expert in Zune :)
2. As I said earlier, read this thread to manually update (it's recommended)
3. See points 3&4 here (also in my sig)
4. Possible on Mango. Read here and here (lots of themes, Metro is probably closer to what you're asking)

You're welcome! Trust me, you're just starting to see what WP7 can do. Just browse through the threads (ie here), you'll find a lot of interesting things.
If you're a developer, that's even better, you can add, customize and do things your way! ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the forum!

I suggest you start with reading the Focus wiki, for starters (in my sig). I think the card should be fine, if it doesn't retain data (ie pictures, videos, apps, music) between soft resets (turn off/turn on) then it's not compatible. Most C4 cards should be ok.

Now, for your questions:
    7.5 is the "generic" name for the Mango update to WP7 (aka Windows Phone 7). The numbers in 7.10.7720 represent:
    7=OS number
    10=generation. read more about versions here. Started with 7.0.xxxx and Mango is 7.10.7xxx (similar to Service Pack for Windows, if you prefer).
    7720 is the OS (WP7) build/version. Mango RTM starts at 7720 build. Current released build is 8107

To dev unlock (jailbreak) the phone, follow the 1st post in my signature or go here

Good luck using your first WP7 phone, Focus is a really nice phone. And feel free to ask questions :)
    Thank you very much!

You're welcome.

Yes, WindowBreak project works with the latest 8107 build.

The cleanest stock rom is the Rogers rom. There are a few custom roms as well. You can flash Rogers rom on your AT&T and use it with no problems (I have mine like that).

Updates: MS releases the updates but they are delivered by the carriers. You can manually update, read this thread. If you're on Rogers, you won't have to, though ;)

You're welcome.

For 1.4, you can just remove the apps and enable the SMS delivery notification. The only thing left will be the logo, but that's ok :)

Alternately, you can try a custom ROM for 1.4 but I have to warn you that a very few users had issues being stuck at Samsung logo after flashing custom roms. Vast majority is fine.