[OFF-TOPIC + SANCTUARY] Desire S Users Hangout Lounge

Search This thread

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
I'm after some suggestions for an faq to go on post 3 of the help thread, any ideas

”How do you get a sweet little 80-year-old lady to say the F word? Get another sweet little 80-year-old lady to yell ‘BINGO!’” - Unknown

hisname

Jul 9, 2012
Singapore
I'm after some suggestions for an faq to go on post 3 of the help thread, any ideas

”How do you get a sweet little 80-year-old lady to say the F word? Get another sweet little 80-year-old lady to yell ‘BINGO!’” - Unknown

"wifi isn't working after flashing xxxx ROM"

Sent from my supercharged :tank:

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
Sell the iPad - get the Nexus 10

That seems like a great idea IMO, the iPad will easily get enough, plus the N10 is considered the fastest current gen android device (even though it's dual core). Though iPad is considered better, you won't have to jump across ecosystems, and with DataSync or Carbon, you can sync data across your phone and tab. No need to repurchase apps either :)

Take the S3, sell your S2 to buy a Nexus 7 :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

This seems nice too, I'm loving the S3 and N7 combo :D I usually use the N7 at home so I have enough battery on my S3 when I need it outside, since barely lasts a day even with mild usage.

guys have u seen Sammy 's galaxy note 8.0? its a little overkill isn't it? i
can't imagine taking a 8 inch phablet on my ear.
Sent from my supercharged :tank:

The device seems nice (direct shot at iPad mini :p) but the button layout is slightly weird and it looks like a giant phone. Even though suku has a point, and many people will buy and use it as their primary phone, it does look pretty ridiculous to see someone with a tab to their ear. I have seen a LOT of people using the Galaxy Tab 7 2 in the same manner, and it looks worse than those who click pictures with their iPads

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Samsung has gone mad with GNote 8.0

Although the size of the device itself seems nice. I wish there was a Nexus tablet with the same form

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Thanks for the responses regarding the S3/iPad.

Not surprised to see most are pointing towards the S3, since we are all fandroids.

Thanks for the different suggestions, I have thought about them all. I won't be looking to sell either of the devices, so I won't consider that option. This is mainly due to the hassle and inconvenience for me. :)

Looking at it this way, if I get the S3, it will kind of make my S2 redundant, as it will replace all my functions for my daily phone. (S2 could be my backup like the DS is now, but its kinda pointless). Whereas if I get the iPad, I will still use my S2 as my main phone, and I will now have a much better tablet.

I'm quite sure the S3 will get KLP sometime down the line, but the S2 most likely will not. I can see the iPad getting future iOS support for at least 2 major updates. (However knwong Apple, they strip a lot if features out)

So enigmaamit and pughie, are you guys going to hang on to the S3, or upgrade to the S4?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
Well, the way I see it, the only major thing they can change in the S4 is the screen resolution (which they certainly will). A 5 inch screen seems possible, but not likely. As far as the processor is concerned, I don't think we need anything more than 4 cores, my phone already has more proccessing power than my PC :p So, the S4 shouldn't be as big an update as the S3 was, just like the One. Pughie already switched to the Nexus 4 though.

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Well, the way I see it, the only major thing they can change in the S4 is the screen resolution (which they certainly will). A 5 inch screen seems possible, but not likely. As far as the processor is concerned, I don't think we need anything more than 4 cores, my phone already has more proccessing power than my PC :p So, the S4 shouldn't be as big an update as the S3 was, just like the One. Pughie already switched to the Nexus 4 though.

Ah oops, forgot he did!

Yeah, to be honest, I feel that 2013 flagship hardware doesn't seem that impressive, based on what we've seen from the Xperia Z and One. I used a Xperia Z yesterday, and to be honest, I cannot tell the difference in the PPI compared to say, a iPhone 5 or S3. Like Apple once said, the human eye cannot distinguish above 300PPI, so why are manufacturers increasing it more? Surely it makes minimal difference. And will result in more CPU power required and poorer battery life?

Also, I found the Xperia Z screen to look quite washed out, colours don't appear to stand out very well.

I don't know why this device got so much hype, I don't think its anything groundbreaking.

Oh, anyone seen the Google Glasses? Looks amazing in the demos, however I wonder how practical it will actually be in real life.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

_Variable

Jun 10, 2012
Manila
Has anyone seen the Htc One?

lowveld

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2008
I wasted time reading various reviews only to establish that you were speaking total sense, good choice and went with the RED disks ......you were right it ticks every box and has significnaty future proofed my setup!....have ordered the lot and its all on the way! :D

You won't regret it. I'm sending the Greens back, and ordered the Reds. Given what I want to do with the system, data loss is the last thing I wanted niggling on the back of my head. I mean, what's the point of paying twice for the storage space if you can't really trust it?

Other than that, it's a really kick ass system. The android apps are not bad either. I really like clicking on a torrent on the phone and having the NAS back home starting the download. :D

Cheers

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Well, sh1t, my family can break up at almost any time now... Bad stuff happened during January and February... I don't know what's gonna happen next or what should I do in this situation...:(

lowveld

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2008
Well, sh1t, my family can break up at almost any time now... Bad stuff happened during January and February... I don't know what's gonna happen next or what should I do in this situation...:(

I'm very sorry to hear that man... There are no "how to"s on how to deal with a situation like that, each case is its own. But do remember that it's really not about you, don't let anyone push you into taking sides. In the long run, it can only hurt you.

But basically you're on your own...

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
I'm very sorry to hear that man... There are no "how to"s on how to deal with a situation like that, each case is its own. But do remember that it's really not about you, don't let anyone push you into taking sides. In the long run, it can only hurt you. But basically you're on your own...
I can't offer and sound words of wisdom - I'm afraid as each case is so different, but I would agree with whats just be written - take care and remember that at difficult times words can't be un-said...so think through everything carefully and try to avoid lashing out.

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
I'm very sorry to hear that man... There are no "how to"s on how to deal with a situation like that, each case is its own. But do remember that it's really not about you, don't let anyone push you into taking sides. In the long run, it can only hurt you.

But basically you're on your own...

I can't offer and sound words of wisdom - I'm afraid as each case is so different, but I would agree with whats just be written - take care and remember that at difficult times words can't be un-said...so think through everything carefully and try to avoid lashing out.

Thanks guys. I tend to believe that the situation will not turn into a break up, but dad's recent actions towards his alcoholism really lead into the abyss of not so pleasant caphain of events:(

bronx

Oct 18, 2006
Well... I wish you luck mate.

My parents got divorced when I was still a kid and boy, that f*ed me up big time. The greatest impact on my life can be noticed now, in my thirties. Really life changing thing for children...

I hope that in your case it's going to be at least less violent and dramatic.

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Well... I wish you luck mate.

My parents got divorced when I was still a kid and boy, that f*ed me up big time. The greatest impact on my life can be noticed now, in my thirties. Really life changing thing for children...

I hope that in your case it's going to be at least less violent and dramatic.

And I hope that it won't happen, but things seem to lead to that little by little.. Either my parents will get divorced, or dad's just gonna drive himself into the grave with alcohol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been interested in acquiring a MacBook for some time but I think that Apple products (especially the Mac range) are just ridiculously overpriced.

I also can't personally see that much of an upgrade from the iPhone 6 to the 6S. From a consumer point of view arguably the biggest/most exciting feature is the force touch which I have managed to test out and I still think it's a huge gimmick, for now anyway. I think the iPhone 7 will be much more to look forward to next year.

Well, the Macbook happened when my trusty 5 year old HP DV6 died on me suddenly last month. The two major gripes I had with all full fledged Windows laptops (not the puny Atom equipped ultrabooks) were weight and battery life. There were only two machines that ticked all my boxes: the Dell XPS13 and the Macbook Pro 2015. The Dell lost out because of the weird camera placement (bottom left) and actually being more expensive than the Mac!!. In addition, Apple had back to school discount running, so I was able to snag the 256GB version for $250 less. Also, after using the trackpad and experiencing force touch, I wanted to at least give the damn thing a shot - I can always move back to Windows in the next upgrade. Or even run Windows natively on the mac if I don't like OSX (that is not the case however - I think it's a superb OS)

I agree the Macbook is overpriced, but until the SurfaceBook launch by Microsoft, it's had no real challenger at all. And in a market without a worthy competitor, monopoly ensues. Look at the iPhone for example. There are a zillion phones out there that try to take it down, but get shot down at some level or the other. I think it has less to do with how good Apple is, and more to do with a single company building and controlling every aspect of design, manufacturing, software and hardware, sales, distribution as well as service.

I think any other company that follows the same philosophy will churn out vastly superior products than the current generation of taped-and-glued-together devices where none of the components (tangible or otherwise) have any history together before they meet on the assembly table. However, in today's market that's easier said than done, and it is just not economically feasible for any startup (let alone existing manufacturers like Samsung) to put in place the formidable sales and service network it has built over the last 6 years. Add to that the reputation that the fruit has built over time, and you have a self-sustaining machine of domination! Is there any other manufacturer that has a better overall service rating than Apple? I know I've jumped through hoops like a monkey for Samsung as well as HTC service here in India.

What's the single downside to an Apple product?

Cost.

If you eliminate the cost factor.... if the iPhone were to cost as much as a OnePlus One or a Xiaomi Mi4, would you still criticize it? How many hundreds of millions additional units do you think the fruit company would sell then?

Well, that brings us to the phones that DO cost as much as the OPO, or the Xiaomi Mi4 - namely, the OPO and the Xiaomi Mi4! What's the quality control on these things? My wife owns a OPO - the sandstone black coating on the back started peeling off in 6 months, the bottom half of the screen is yellow tinted (this is the second replacement unit - same issue), the CM OS on it is buggy with camera issues and lock ups, etc. There are two official OS forks for the damn thing - CyanogenOS and OxygenOS.
    TWO.OFFICIAL.FORKS! (both are buggy, btw)
    I've decided not to touch it... it's not rooted, not bootloader unlocked, doesn't run greenify, xposed or any of those things. I shouldn't have to! It's her phone - she should be able to use it sans bugs without having to lug around an XDA member to rescue her all the time.

Now I understand that the phone was built as an experiment with an extremely low profit margin, yada, yada, yada (read: higher margin for error and compromises). When you build a device with a low margin, you have to set your quality control standards sufficiently low. Because every device that comes off the assembly line that doesn't meet the standards, gets discarded. The cost of this "bad" device is therefore a loss that has to be made up in the sales of the remaining "good" devices. As the number of bad devices increases, the margins on the good ones keeps dropping, and if there is a significant manufacturing lacuna, this leads to a point of non-sustainability. So what are the only choices left with the manufacturer?

1. Scrap the design and build a new device with new materials, components, manufacturing infrastructure overhaul, etc. (not pretty - read:bankrupcy)

2. Lower the quality control acceptability bar, so that more "bad" devices get through.

That the second option is cleared by any board of directors in a heartbeat is a no-brainer. What follows is a product released to the market where every 1 in 5 to 10 pieces is defective. KNOWINGLY SUB-STANDARD. But costs can be kept low, so that’s nice, right? Can’t fault the manufacturer for trying to keep afloat and I can understand that.

One the other end of the spectrum, If a manufacturer were to decide that it would stick to the highest possible quality standards, discarding even mildly sub-par devices in a heartbeat, what would remain at the end of the filtering process are devices that are impeccable and uniformly comparable. They WOULD however, carry over the financial burden of their fallen brethren who didn’t survive the QC assault. This makes them expensive. Add to that the quasi-religious fan following, the superlative infused brilliant product marketing by Apple, the scarcity heuristic (The harder it is to get an object, the more desirable it becomes) surrounding its products, stability of their software, a sound app ecosystem, better designed apps (also, developers get paid more per app on iOS), and you can see the customer push through the price barrier. It all depends on how anal you are about your device. If you can “accept” certain issues because it’s an “affordable” or “subsidized” device, good for you. If you can’t - then look towards the fruit. I haven’t even started to account for cost of inventory needed to be maintained and updated constantly to support the hundreds of millions of devices out in the market, and other such factors that being a mere Orthopedic Surgeon, I must confess I have little comprehensive knowledge of.

Now I’m not trying to justify Apple’s cut-throat prices. They make the crappiest, most expensive cables that keep falling apart every couple of months, their licencing is way too expensive, their policies are restrictive (to some), they are a walled garden, and so on. But it’s a safe garden. The walls hold. You can sit inside and lounge in peace. It’s not for everyone, but its not bad either.

I wish just as much as the next guy that their devices cost half of what they do. But over time, I have come to understand why they never can.

If you want an open ecosystem with freedom to “customize”, good for you. If there is a certain way you want your OS to function, if you’re about freedom to choose your hardware, there is amazing variety and choice out there with Android. But there is a bunch of people out there with a lot of money who either don’t have the inclination or the time to care about all that. This bunch just wants a well-designed phone that may not do EVERYTHING, but what it does, it does without a freeze, or an app crash, or a random reboot, and doesn’t run on last year’s software (yeah, yeah… I can hear the bleating too)

Sorry for the rant. Doc out.
    I think there are still many of us checking this thread. Personally, I don't think I'll ever stop. But yeah, time goes by and things change.

Cheers guys!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I was not having that specific model but Im an HTC fan and Im still having active my beloved HTC Universal from back in 2004, the grandpa of Desire S.
    So proper old timer here!

What device are you on currently?