[Q] New GTP 8.4. Should I let it update itself?

Search This thread

stuartv

May 30, 2012
I got a new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (SM-T320) on Friday. $249 at Best Buy finally pushed me over the edge (yay!).

The current build that is on it is T320UEU1ANAI.

It has an OTA update available that it wants to install, but, of course, it doesn't tell me what the new build is. I have been clicking on Later, so far.

I expect that I will want to use TowelRoot to root this without tripping Knox, and I'll want to install at least a custom recovery and some Xposed modules. I may want to try a custom ROM in the future, and I understand that that will trip Knox no matter what. But, from what I read, as long as I use TowelRoot and just root and install a recovery, I won't trip Knox.

Is all that correct?

If I let this pending OTA go ahead and install, will I still be able to use TowelRoot and install a custom recovery without tripping Knox?

TIA!

crpalmer

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2011
I got a new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (SM-T320) on Friday. $249 at Best Buy finally pushed me over the edge (yay!).

It has an OTA update available that it wants to install, but, of course, it doesn't tell me what the new build is. I have been clicking on Later, so far.

I expect that I will want to use TowelRoot to root this without tripping Knox, and I'll want to install at least a custom recovery and some Xposed modules. I may want to try a custom ROM in the future, and I understand that that will trip Knox no matter what. But, from what I read, as long as I use TowelRoot and just root and install a recovery, I won't trip Knox.

Is all that correct?

If I let this pending OTA go ahead and install, will I still be able to use TowelRoot and install a custom recovery without tripping Knox?

TIA!

Installing a custom recovery will trip knox.

Reactions: stuartv

stuartv

May 30, 2012
Thanks, crpalmer. I read that TowelRoot doesn't trip it, but I was definitely still uncertain about installing a recovery and tripping Knox. Good to know.

So, anyway, if I take this OTA, will I still be able to root and install a custom recovery if I want? I've rooted and ROMed other devices in the past. But, I have a Verizon S4 and I already got burned with it by taking an OTA without researching thoroughly first. Now, my S4 is totally locked down and looks like it'll never be cracked. I definitely want to avoid that happening with this GTP.

drmacrofish

Jul 24, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Thanks, crpalmer. I read that TowelRoot doesn't trip it, but I was definitely still uncertain about installing a recovery and tripping Knox. Good to know.

So, anyway, if I take this OTA, will I still be able to root and install a custom recovery if I want? I've rooted and ROMed other devices in the past. But, I have a Verizon S4 and I already got burned with it by taking an OTA without researching thoroughly first. Now, my S4 is totally locked down and looks like it'll never be cracked. I definitely want to avoid that happening with this GTP.

Yes, let it update. Towelroot works with the update perfectly and than you can do twrp or just have root access and keep Knox intact if you need it for some reason.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

rholm

I used towel root on a newer version as mine was already on the latest.

My future plans are much like yours. Stock rooted for a while, then custom recovery and roms.

Cheers,
Rich

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Is all that correct?

TIA!

Installing a custom recovery will trip knox.