[ROM][A501] ICS Evil Alex Unleashed Ver 2-10/08/2012 & OC/UV Kernel

Search This thread

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
@MD
Would this work for the Acer?
It is an SIM unlock script for the Samsung.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22380345&postcount=1872

I have absolutely no idea if it would or wouldn't. I don't have a sim-locked tab to try it out. Also it's for a galaxy tab, and I would think their method might be different from Acer.

It wouldn't take a whole lot for me to blend it into a test rom. Both kernels on Alex III and Alex IV can run scripts from init.d. I'd more or less just have to set permissions.

And it wouldn't harm anything on the tab. It would either work, not work, or just look at you silly ;)

Any test pigs out there?

imaulana

Sep 9, 2009
Ciputat
Widget flickering

Hello again,MD.
Where is everybody? Why this thread is so quiet? I believe you are preparing for the next release of the great Alexandra ROM.
I just want to report a bug. I have Alexandra IV 3d, with V6 bootloader, wakelock is active. Yesterday when i'm finished browsing with Opera Mini and i close the Opera, suddenly all my widget is flickering. I try to click one of the widget, it keeps flickering.
I open the Application Menu, there's no icons, it all black. I have to restart my A501, and it good again.
I have this bug twice, yesterday. I don't know if anybody have the same experience like me. But overall this ROM still rocks.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
+1 to this, can see background, widgets still there but invisible... Click on area where widget is will launch app...
Needs reboot to fix...

Don't mind though, it is only occasional bug.... Still a bloody good rom... :D

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Havent seen that one yet.:eek:

Most problem I have had recently, is Maps. Had to uninstall the updated maps for some reason yesterday. Kept FC when under 3g. Everything else seems to be normal.

(Acer where's our next update?????)

I did read a thread about the wallpaper going black when running the app "Gestures Lite" the other day on a 500.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Generally it seems to happen, for me, after I pause a video for a little while then start again or use the home key. The screen flickers then when you open another app it works ok but go back to home screen and all you see is your lovely wallpaper ( I mean the picture of your lovely "wife":p). Widgets are still there, if you press on a widget an app will open but they are just not visible. the only thing to do is to reset tab...

I use Apex launcher with beautiful widgets live wallpaper running. It might have something to do with the live wallpaper or possibly Apex launcher. We'd need to hear from any others who are experiencing this problem.

Simple restart fixes the problem for a while...:D

HooeyBooey

Oct 30, 2010
i discovered that the issue with my accelerometer rotation is not with the rom, its with the bootloaders. I went back to Alexandra III, didn't flash HC bootloaders, and i still have no rotatio.

droiduzr2

Jan 26, 2011
I thought Acer already started rolling out ICS.
Did they stop their official rollout?

Did anyone here get the Acer update?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I thought Acer already started rolling out ICS.
Did they stop their official rollout?

Did anyone here get the Acer update?

Acer's rollout for the 500 lasted about 2 or 3 days. And... it wasn't pretty.

Last I heard, they were going to continue for the 500 on the 27th, which is about when they were going to start rolling the 501.

But, it remains to be seen just exactly when. What they say, and what actually happens are always 2 different things.

But, who ever gets it first, I would hope you do a system dump, and post the zip where we can get it. Will save a whole lot of time. (boot.img appreciated also)

jeromekobriger

Nov 8, 2008
Racine, WI
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Screen distortion

Anybody else getting screen distortion? It almost looks like an old analog tv that's out of sync. Not always though, if I open my apps it goes away, same thing when playing video. It's only on the main screen and in recovery.

dr mcknight

Feb 3, 2012
Acer's rollout for the 500 lasted about 2 or 3 days. And... it wasn't pretty.

Last I heard, they were going to continue for the 500 on the 27th, which is about when they were going to start rolling the 501.

But, it remains to be seen just exactly when. What they say, and what actually happens are always 2 different things.

But, who ever gets it first, I would hope you do a system dump, and post the zip where we can get it. Will save a whole lot of time. (boot.img appreciated also)

What were the problems ? My step mom has a500 she got update and works flawless.

lifeofcoding

Feb 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
hxcmusic.com
Generally it seems to happen, for me, after I pause a video for a little while then start again or use the home key. The screen flickers then when you open another app it works ok but go back to home screen and all you see is your lovely wallpaper ( I mean the picture of your lovely "wife":p). Widgets are still there, if you press on a widget an app will open but they are just not visible. the only thing to do is to reset tab...

I use Apex launcher with beautiful widgets live wallpaper running. It might have something to do with the live wallpaper or possibly Apex launcher. We'd need to hear from any others who are experiencing this problem.

Simple restart fixes the problem for a while...:D

I have had this happen on almost every ics rom in this forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Anybody else getting screen distortion? It almost looks like an old analog tv that's out of sync. Not always though, if I open my apps it goes away, same thing when playing video. It's only on the main screen and in recovery.

That's always been an issue in CWM recovery since HC. Sort of flickers, then a very brief scrambled screen. Usually when it first starts up.

Haven't noticed an issue in the OS though. However, 500 users with an HC bootloader and patched kernel get this sometimes.

jeromekobriger

Nov 8, 2008
Racine, WI
Google Pixel 8 Pro
That's always been an issue in CWM recovery since HC. Sort of flickers, then a very brief scrambled screen. Usually when it first starts up.

Haven't noticed an issue in the OS though. However, 500 users with an HC bootloader and patched kernel get this sometimes.

While it's not exactly all the time, I'd say it's 80 percent of the time my screen is scrambled. I hate to go back to Honeycomb, but unless anybody's got any suggestions, my tablet's just about useless with the ICS bootloaders.
I did try different bootloaders too, including the new multi-bootloader. What a nightmare that was, it disabled my touchscreen and APX mode. Took me about two hours before I figured out to plug in a mouse or keyboard. Flashing back to the straight ICS bootloader re-enabled the touchscreen and APX.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
While it's not exactly all the time, I'd say it's 80 percent of the time my screen is scrambled. I hate to go back to Honeycomb, but unless anybody's got any suggestions, my tablet's just about useless with the ICS bootloaders.
I did try different bootloaders too, including the new multi-bootloader. What a nightmare that was, it disabled my touchscreen and APX mode. Took me about two hours before I figured out to plug in a mouse or keyboard. Flashing back to the straight ICS bootloader re-enabled the touchscreen and APX.

To be honest, I still run the ver4 bootloader. I have yet to have any of the issues a lot of people have described. I don't have a need to run dual boot. And if something works, why should I change. I have no inclination to run Linux. And booting from a different ICS kernel or image, well, it just opens up more issues.

Having to plug in a mouse?? Does it work? Heck, never even thought about it.

I don't know why I don;t have these issues. I run the same Alex IV rom, ver4 bootloader. Same kernel, same OS. I don't have "God" privlidges, I dont get code from God either. Only difference, is that I install all my apps fresh, and refuse to use some Backup app like TU or similar. Why do I want to restore an HC app on ICS?

More than half the issues, result from steps taken, because folks want to find short-cuts. To find an easier way. Can't fault that. But usually, it results in strange issues. Issues most are not accustomed with.

AKA, they're smarter than the folks who put it together.

Oh... I also totally wipe my tablet when I test.

I don't run 3rd party launchers. Had enough of that rodeo awhile back. Yeah, SPB is uber cool. Probably the best eye candy launcher on the net. And yeah, other launchers have some great features also. But, they are not geared for ICS tablets.

Just because Market lets you download, doesn't mean it works.

Also remember, this is BETA. Leaked release. Again, for those who have issues understanding... BETA. And Beta means issues.

Does it make for a good daily driver? In my opinion, yes. Could it be better, of course it can.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A501 Evil Alex Unleashed ICS ver 4.0.3 Ver 2

For current Acer Test Builds and Kernels GO HERE. Current test build/Kernel: ezT20-v1.0.1 by EZTerry OC/UV 1.5ghz

NO MORE WAKELOCK!
    *On Most Devices. Still effects 1 or 2 users

Evil Alex II patches located at end of this post.
    Currently Patch 1. Should fix users with Google Contacts Synch Issues.

Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_WW_GEN1 ICS 4.0.3

This is the Official Release Build it seems. Same build as initial OTA.

Please note. I have tested most of the ROM, but not 100%. Nobody can. Testing on Odexed version went well with only a couple minor things. So if you have an issue, please post it, along with a LOGCAT.

home.png

ring2.png

Rom uses the Tweaked acer kernel 2.6.39.4+. Please see POST INSTALLATION procedures for Full System R/W access.

WARNING: You MUST have the hacked ICS Bootloader VER 3 or higher. Steps for installing unlocked ICS Bootloaders can be found in Civato's Bootloader and Recovery Guide

Do not install this ROM if you are on HC bootloader. If you don't know which bootloader version you have, download AcerRecoveryInstaller and run it. It will tell you. Also remember, once you go to ICS Bootloader, you can no longer run HC roms unless you go back to the HC Bootloader

PRO TIP: Copy the Evil Alex Unleashed rom to your EXT SD card first, before messing with bootloaders. Also, you must use an ICS compatible Custom Recovery which is mentioned in the same thread

Please direct all NVFlash bootloader install issues to the bootloader thread. Do not post them here.

To get the full features, and avoid issues, you MUST be on the Bootloader Version 3 or higher!!!

First off, a big THANKS to the following:
    Galapagos1 - For the update dump
    Vache - For his info
    Drellisdee & Skrilax_CZ - Work with ICS Bootloader
    EZTerry - For your previous help and OC Kernels.
    Civato - for guidance in getting Ring and Print running, and tips/images, and Kernels. I owe him a lot with modding roms. Without his assistance, I probably would be lost.
    And the rest of the people who got these leaks running when they were first introduced.

And I want to thank everyboy who tested the TEST Rom, and reported back. I appreciate your help. You all know who you are, and you are ACES in my book. Thank You Very Much.

Change list at end of post.

What doesn't work.
    It seems Acer broke the SMS. You can send, but not receive SMS. This has only effected a few devices.
    UPDATE: My sms started working properly last week. Go figure.

Features:
    SystemUI Mods
    Acer Ring
    Acer Print
    Custom Nav Buttons @55Pegasus
    Fully Deodexed
    Zip Aligned
    Full /System R-W
    Ad-Hoc support
    Tweaked kernel @Civato
    -Increased IO
    -GPS Mods
    -Init.d support
    -/System R/W

Language Support:

English, Bahasa Indonesia, Cestina, Dansk, Deutsch, Espanol, Francais, Italiano, Magyar, Nederlands, Norsk bokmal, Polski, Portugues (Brasil, Portugal), Romania, Russian, Suomi, Svenska, Turkish, Ukranian (dialects unknown- Arabic, Asian)

Apps Removed:

FDUpdater
    FDUpdateService
    AcerNidus
    ApInApp
    Hero of Sparta (stock Acer game and not allowed to be re-distributed)
    Lets Golf (Stock Acer Game and not allowed to be re-distributed)
    Other Acer stuff.

To Install:

Boot to CWM recovery
    a. Wipe User Data
    b. Wipe Cache
    c. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    d. Wipe Battery Stats

Go to Mounts and Storage

a. Format System
    b. Format Flexrom

Go back to Install Zip from SD

Select Evil Alex Unleashed zip

Install and reboot when finished.

Note: please give the tablet a few minutes to settle after initial start. This allows it to build it's Dalvik Cache. You may not see the Acer Ring button at first. Allow a minute.

Do your RECOVERY BACK-UP

POST INSTALLATION NOTES. IMPORTANT!!!!

- Turn USB Debugging ON in Settings/Development.

- For Full Root /System R/W access, open your file manager and set /system to R/W. It's painless.

- If you install any other mods, DO NOT wipe your Dalvik Cache. This may cause the Acer Ring to not function properly, resulting in re-installation of the ROM.

- Volume. Notice that you now have 2 volume controls because of Acer Ring. If you do not have initial volume, please check the Acer Ring volume.

- Acer Print. This has not been tested, as I lack a compatible printer.

- Ad-Hoc should work. If not, try alternative patch at end of post.

- Titanium Back-Up users. I do not use this app, so results may not work correctly with ICS and HC Apps. Do not restore Data from TB, and expect me to support it. TB only really works, when you reinstall the exact same rom.

- Reporting Issues: If you get a FC on an Installed App that comes with the ROM, I may be able to help.

- Games. I cannot promise all games will work. Nobody can. The best way, is to download the game fresh before installing any other apps.

- Phone Apps. Don't even bother reporting it.

- ROM Manager... see above ^

Thanks and hope you enjoy it!

DOWNLOAD
    Test Builds/Kernels 10/08/2012

Open Testing

EZTerry ezT20-v1.0.1 Kernel for a501 ONLY
    75728d09deda8b1f1f42346ca8ad59b6 *ezT20-v1.0.1-pre1_S.zip

ICS Only

*** 1.5ghz OC
    *** UV control
    *** Full Sys RW
    *** GPS Tweak
    *** IO Tweak
    *** BFG IO Scheduler
    *** lulzactive CPU Controller

For installation, Flash via CWM, Public Recovery.
    Download a CPU app from the Market. I use System Tuner, but any should work.

Note: This is a TEST kernel. Battery life doesn't seem to be the best, but could be because of Google Now (GPS/Wifi running)

I shouldn't have to say this, but make sure you do a recovery backup before flashing.

DOWNLOAD

Kernel Source

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_WW_GEN1 ICS 4.0.3

Rom based on latest Acer leaked update.

Note: With this ROM you need to run Zero-Null's root after installation. Set your USB Debugging to on. Ignore the errors just let it finish rooting., Then use Root Explorer or File Manager HD to set the /System to R/W.

Thanks to:
    Galapagos1-System Dump
    EZTerry - Custom Busybox install

Details;
    Full Origin ODEX
    Newest Busybox
    Includes ALL Acer Bloatware

Things to specifically watch for;
    3g for dropping
    SOD
    Battery Life

Installation is the same with my other roms. If you don't know how to install a rom, please see the instructions in the Original Post. Example: Wipes and Formats

You must be on the unlocked ICS Bootloader for this rom to function properly

DOWNLOAD

Enjoy!!!! Remember, this is a STOCK ODEXED Acer build. I am not responsible if games and restored data do not function well. Although I did add the latest Busybox and custom install. Also, I used slight compression in the zip, as Acer seems to want to overbloat the rom where I can't find a server to upload. But it installs fine on my tab.
    Take your time Mr. MD, Wife and children first :) We can wait, Euro opening games are waiting us ;)

Do u like football MD, If Yes, Go Russian Bear :) If Not, Go Russian Bear again :p

Ehhhh.... Go Portugal (I like the smaller countries) :D:D:D

Update. Deodex good. Problems with acer print and ring. Signing issue. Really don't want to deal with it again ;)

Few things and I'll post a beta and PM you guys on the "unofficial" beta testers.
    Hello MD, would you mind to upload a smaller update file to your future release (not the whole packages)? because 400 megs is a "big" file for some user.

Just uploaded a patch on the OP and also this post.

Patch should fix some issue with Play Store downloads and Network Provider issues. Will post a new updated rom later.

It should update to ver 3d.
    Hey is there a fix to get my gsp working, it's not linking at all.
    ???

Sent you a PM already Mate.

Info for any having GPS issues with not locking.

In the past 3 or 4 days, I noticed GPS was no longer getting locks on Sat's. WTH????

Of course I mess with different kernels, so figured maybe had some bad kernel files leftover. Did a fresh re-install. Got some locks (3 of 11)

Yesterday, GPS wouldn't lock so I installed Civato's tweaked kernel and all worked. Today, no GPS locks (tab was on 24+hrs). Rebooted all is fine. Locks on 7 of 12 sats.

Just some info for you all.

MD