(Q) serious lag when updating apps

Search This thread

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
Help, i've had my Note 3 just about a month now and ever since I've had it I get seriously bad lag when I'm updating apps from Play Store.
It's that bad that if I update all apps and there are 3/4 apps I have to wait until they are done otherwise the phone gets that laggy I can't do anything.

I haven't done a reset but I'm thinking I probably will need too, unless anyone else knows what it could be?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Happens to me, I don't really care for it because it only updates on WiFi. My phone gets stuttery when it installs the update more than when it is downloading. Also to note, it's recurrent on 4.3 and 4.4.2.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3!

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
Happens to me, I don't really care for it because it only updates on WiFi. My phone gets stuttery when it installs the update more than when it is downloading. Also to note, it's recurrent on 4.3 and 4.4.2.

Well I'm slightly relived that it's just not me, but now I'm thinking doing a reset won't solve it. It's not a major issue but just shouldn't be doing it.

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Well I'm slightly relived that it's just not me, but now I'm thinking doing a reset won't solve it. It's not a major issue but just shouldn't be doing it.

Doing a reset won't solve the issue, it's more that the system is focused on getting the install to be quickly and painlessly finished and causes other processes to slow down due to CPU demand changes. I'm running a custom ROM and kernel and still get these problems, and before I was on stock 4.3 so I can confirm it's not your hardware or personal configuration issue.

Also when your launcher lags, it's due to the fact that you're on the launcher but it has to do a live app removal from the drawer and then reinsertion of the app.

Reactions: maverick1103

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
Doing a reset won't solve the issue, it's more that the system is focused on getting the install to be quickly and painlessly finished and causes other processes to slow down due to CPU demand changes. I'm running a custom ROM and kernel and still get these problems, and before I was on stock 4.3 so I can confirm it's not your hardware or personal configuration issue.

Also when your launcher lags, it's due to the fact that you're on the launcher but it has to do a live app removal from the drawer and then reinsertion of the app.

Thanks for that explanation, that does make sense now, however coming from previous phones (Sony Z1 and HTC One) these never had that issue and the Note 3 is more powerful, im a bit confused. So basically it's Samsung's software that's the cause?

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Thanks for that explanation, that does make sense now, however coming from previous phones (Sony Z1 and HTC One) these never had that issue and the Note 3 is more powerful, im a bit confused. So basically it's Samsung's software that's the cause?

I believe it is something to do with TouchWiz. My other Samsung phones lag like crazy as well whilst installing apps.

CravingMender9

Jun 6, 2011
Charlotte
www.rahulisola.com
Lookout slowing down the phone too

I believe it is something to do with TouchWiz. My other Samsung phones lag like crazy as well whilst installing apps.

I noticed something on my TMob Note 3, I have Lookout security pre-installed and I see slight improvement if it is not scanning apps after every install and if it is disabled. Can someone check if you are seeing any improvements without Lookout Security or is it just my placebo?

Also, the Lookout backup upload slows both my phone and the internet. Any idea why that is happening? Is it uploading everything again and again or just the changes?

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
I noticed something on my TMob Note 3, I have Lookout security pre-installed and I see slight improvement if it is not scanning apps after every install and if it is disabled. Can someone check if you are seeing any improvements without Lookout Security or is it just my placebo?

Also, the Lookout backup upload slows both my phone and the internet. Any idea why that is happening? Is it uploading everything again and again or just the changes?

My other Samsung phones don't have anything installed and still lags.

However, I do have some security apps installed to check for viruses, but the thing is, it only checks after the app is installed, not during install, and the lag spikes in only during the install and not after.

I use Avast Mobile Security to scan my apps.

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster

My other Samsung phones don't have anything installed and still lags.

However, I do have some security apps installed to check for viruses, but the thing is, it only checks after the app is installed, not during install, and the lag spikes in only during the install and not after.

I use Avast Mobile Security to scan my apps.

I have no AV app on my phone, do not believe in them, so it's got to be TouchWiz.

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
Or it's the malware that's on your phone :)

Erm nope!

Highly unlikely. As I said before, it happened on all of my Samsung devices, so it's got to be something to do with TW.

Happened on the Galaxy Note 1, 2, 2LTE, 3. Galaxy S2, S3.

Also happened to me on my legacy/low level devices such as Galaxy Y and W.

Updated to KitKat this morning and it's still present but not as bad as it was.

uf21

Jun 5, 2012
I never had this issue. I could use my phone with no stuttering when updating apps, even if it was apps big in size.

Though it was another story on my S3.

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
KitKat is fast, but when you update like 10 apps at the same time and your internet is blazing fast, it just get's it's slow time :p

Lol!

I've noticed it lags when trying to share a photo, yesterday I took a photo then went into Facebook selected share photo and then it took a fair few seconds to select the photo I wanted due to the lag! ?

I never had this issue. I could use my phone with no stuttering when updating apps, even if it was apps big in size.

Though it was another story on my S3.

Wow so you don't get any lag at all?

i have this problem too..

Annoying isn't it!

As a TF700t owner I haven't noticed any lag from updating apps on the Note 3....but that's most likely because I'm used to a device that becomes entirely useless when updating apps (or doing anything in the background, really) because of an I/O issue...

Devices will always get a bit sluggish when updating apps, as they need to access multiple system and app files.

Send From My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Using Tapatalk

ashhem

Nov 21, 2012
Help, i've had my Note 3 just about a month now and ever since I've had it I get seriously bad lag when I'm updating apps from Play Store.
Hello Maverick,
I own a note 2 and m on unroofed stock ROM 4.3.. However I am also facing the same issue from quite a time..I tried booting in safe mode, booting without the external SD card, cleaned cache from the recovery, regular cache and jink files cleaning from CleanMaster app, uninstalled antivirus app, stopped Power Saving mode but to no results.. It's driving me craazy!! :mad:
However I would like to bring one thing to your attention. The phone does not lag while downloading the app from play store but lags when the app is being actually updates ie. Installed to the device! I don't know if its the same case with you all..
M still hunting for a solution.. Donshare a solution here if anyone of u finds one :(
Thanks in Advance
Cheeta

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
Hello Maverick,
I own a note 2 and m on unroofed stock ROM 4.3.. However I am also facing the same issue from quite a time..I tried booting in safe mode, booting without the external SD card, cleaned cache from the recovery, regular cache and jink files cleaning from CleanMaster app, uninstalled antivirus app, stopped Power Saving mode but to no results.. It's driving me craazy!! :mad:
However I would like to bring one thing to your attention. The phone does not lag while downloading the app from play store but lags when the app is being actually updates ie. Installed to the device! I don't know if its the same case with you all..
M still hunting for a solution.. Donshare a solution here if anyone of u finds one :(
Thanks in Advance
Cheeta

Hi, yes that is mainly when I get the lag when it's installing the app, it's pretty annoying never had it before even when I had a Note 2 a year ago...Samsung need to fix this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.