[HOW-TO] Downgrade from JB to ICS with locked bootloader

Search This thread

cedesmith

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2010
Hi.
I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
WARNING: This will wipe your data
WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.

Last edited:

bckldwn

Mar 19, 2012
Toronto
Nexus 7 (2013)
Hi.
I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.

This is what i did:
3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.

Thanks, I might just try this.. the DPI really bugs me on JB!

-lukin-

Jan 4, 2012
Hi.

This is what i did:

Thanks bro - that worked perfect.

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
This was already posted elsewhere b/c it is how I rooted my JB 4 days ago. I think it was Praetorian or jrotsky who posted it.

I tried the same method with trying to revert 9.4.5.30 to 9.4.5.26 but that is a no go - only 10.4.4.16 will revert to 9.4.5.30

doncieslacco

Jan 21, 2009
Hi.

This is what i did:

Thanks for you guide, I am waiting for my TF700T, but read a lot about rooting process without unlocking bootloader, so please tell me:
What about root after your guide ?? Just use rooting instruction from here and use OTA rootKeeper and should work ??

Regards
Doncieslacco

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
Thanks for you guide, I am waiting for my TF700T, but read a lot about rooting process without unlocking bootloader, so please tell me:
What about root after your guide ?? Just use rooting instruction from here and use OTA rootKeeper and should work ??

Regards
Doncieslacco

JB cannot currently be rooted, so you'll need to root 9.4.5.30 first, then use OTA rootkeeper to make a backup of root and enable OTA survival (I also enabled OTA survival in superuser), then apply the JB update, and finally use OTA rootkeeper to restore root.

Also, I would highly advise not installing any apps on it in ICS, b/c a lot of people are experiencing idiosyncrasies in JB that are fixed if you perform a factory reset - since your tablet will be brand new, a factory reset will be a lot less painful with no apps installed.

If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

However that requires unlocking first,voiding your warranty.

Reactions: john85D

cferd

Mar 20, 2008
Thanks OP, this worked. At first I lost the long-press function, where for example an app on the home screen is long-pressed then moved to the top to remove. The apps would always open, regardless of whether I just touched them or long-pressed them. A factory reset in recovery fixed it, in case anyone else experiences this.

hit173

Apr 13, 2010
I keep getting the android with red exclamation mark. I did everything posted here but I did it through my tablet. I named the file like it says here and put it on the root of my SD. I extracted the file. Do I need to extract or no?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

flhthemi

Feb 8, 2012
Statesville, NC
The file you get from Asus is a .zip file. Inside it is another .zip file. Unzip ONE TIME and rename the .zip file while it is on your PC. Then copy it to the sdcard. I used a sdcard reader connected to my PC to copy the file then popped it in the tablet.

when I tried to do it all on the tablet I got the same results. (it no workie)

Last edited:
Reactions: tfrank10

hit173

Apr 13, 2010
Wtf I keep getting the Android with red exclamation...... I am locked with no root still on .16 I wiped everything and I'm still getting the freaking same ****.. Is pissing me off cuz IM really trying to go back down to ics. I need help. I did everything posted here. I even did through the computer now and still nothing.. I swear I am about to shove it out a window

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Wtf I keep getting the Android with red exclamation...... I am locked with no root still on .16 I wiped everything and I'm still getting the freaking same ****.. Is pissing me off cuz IM really trying to go back down to ics. I need help. I did everything posted here. I even did through the computer now and still nothing.. I swear I am about to shove it out a window

Can you describe exactly what steps you did in your own words here so I can help?

pr4wn3r

Jun 20, 2012
do i have to copy that to an SD card, or would it be enough to copy it on the tablet? dont have an SD card yet^^

pr4wn3r

Jun 20, 2012

having the same problem.
when trying to get into recovery mode (power + vol down, then select the recovery mode) i dont get into recovery mode, but i get a dead android with an exclamation mark..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.

This is what i did:

Hi.

This is what i did:

Thanks, I might just try this.. the DPI really bugs me on JB!

Regards
    Doncieslacco

JB cannot currently be rooted, so you'll need to root 9.4.5.30 first, then use OTA rootkeeper to make a backup of root and enable OTA survival (I also enabled OTA survival in superuser), then apply the JB update, and finally use OTA rootkeeper to restore root.

Also, I would highly advise not installing any apps on it in ICS, b/c a lot of people are experiencing idiosyncrasies in JB that are fixed if you perform a factory reset - since your tablet will be brand new, a factory reset will be a lot less painful with no apps installed.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk

However that requires unlocking first,voiding your warranty.
    The file you get from Asus is a .zip file. Inside it is another .zip file. Unzip ONE TIME and rename the .zip file while it is on your PC. Then copy it to the sdcard. I used a sdcard reader connected to my PC to copy the file then popped it in the tablet.

when I tried to do it all on the tablet I got the same results. (it no workie)