Droid ultra/maxx/mini all the same?? Exact???

Search This thread

Arnold.1441

Jan 5, 2012
Hi. This may seem like a silly question to some but I have looked around and haven't seen a clear answer anywhere. Are all 3 of these devices COMPLETELY interchangeable in terms of root/roms/updates? Stock updates as well?
I just bought a Droid mini and was shocked not to see my device listed at all on this site.. Not a single page dedicated to the Droid mini.
Again sorry if this is an obvious question...

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Basically they're the same in the sense that they all use the Motorola X8 chipset (just as the Moto X does), they all have the same display resolution (1280x720), same Adreno GPU, and they all share other aspects in common as well but they are not exactly the same devices, no, there are some differences.

The Droid Ultra came out, people complained about some aspects of it, then the Droid MAXX came out to resolve some of those issues, and then the Droid Mini came out to be the "low cost" model, I suppose - the Droid MAXX and Mini are closer to each other than the Ultra is: the Ultra doesn't support wireless charging whereas the MAXX/Mini do, that's one difference.

rlmesq

May 13, 2011
The Droid Ultra came out, people complained about some aspects of it, then the Droid MAXX came out to resolve some of those issues, and then the Droid Mini came out to be the "low cost" model

Huh? All three devices were released at the same time. The Maxx isn't a bugfix version; it was marketed for the monster battery and the Ultra was hyped as the thinnest phone on the market. The Mini was sold on the smaller form factor, not as a bargain phone.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2013/07/droid-mini-droid-ultra-droid-maxx.html

I bought my Maxx for the battery life and my girlfriend got a Mini because it fits better in her smaller hands (though she sometimes says she wishes she got a Maxx, too).

Arnold.1441

Jan 5, 2012
Thanks all. But I know that information already. My question was, do people use all hacks/tricks/roms from 1 on the other without issue? If I see a good looking rom for the ultra, am I to assume it works equally well for the mini? Root options etc. Stock sbf (or whatever they're calling it nowadays...)...

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
Yes, the phones are kinda interdependent, as MAXX and Ultra can use Moto X ROMs. The Mini CAN run the same ROMs but it seems it's not fully compatible... Sound doesn't work on many builds, apparently.

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Was being facetious about the releases, guess I need to add that tag for clarity sometimes. ;)

hayze

Apr 1, 2014
Dark Side of the Moon
A while ago I verified that the stock system images were the same for the Ultra, Maxx, & Mini. But as pointed out there are some subtle hardware differences. For example the smaller form factor of the Mini may have led Motorola to use a different component for the audio. The stock image apparently can handle these differences at run time based upon what model phone it is running on. Custom ROMs could possibly do this as well, but not necessarily.

Reactions: doogald

Arnold.1441

Jan 5, 2012
Well, as the general consensus seems to be that that they are indeed the same device, wouldn't it be fair to include that in the name? Instead of "droid ultra", this device family should be called "droid ultra/maxx/mini" so that people with a phone other than the ultra know that they are in the right place... Or am I missing something..?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A while ago I verified that the stock system images were the same for the Ultra, Maxx, & Mini. But as pointed out there are some subtle hardware differences. For example the smaller form factor of the Mini may have led Motorola to use a different component for the audio. The stock image apparently can handle these differences at run time based upon what model phone it is running on. Custom ROMs could possibly do this as well, but not necessarily.