Important safety message: Stop using the stock micro-usb cable!

Search This thread

Childofthehorn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
As Seen on my Blog at DoesitPew.Blogspot.com

IMG_20110420_163137.jpg

The case today is an HTC Evo MicroUSB Cable.
This is the same cable that came with your HTC Evo and it may be the one that you still use.

STOP USING THIS CABLE ASAP - IT WAS POORLY ENGINEERED AND MIGHT BREAK YOUR PSU OR COMPUTER!!!!

IMG_20110420_163045.jpg

I can say this because this is NOT the first time I have seen this same thing happen. You see, this is my Boyfriend's HTC Evo MicroUSB cable and not mine. Mine had the same issue, except I caught it right when it happened as it burned my hand when I was getting ready to plug in my phone at work 3 weeks ago!

microusb.JPG

This Cable was not engineered properly because of the MicroUSB Connector Chosen. Instead of using a proper MicroUSB Cable Mount style Connector as seen in the picture below, they went with a panel mount/board mount hybrid connector (cheapest as it uses board mount parts) as seen above.
IMG_20110420_164023.jpg
IMG_20110420_164032.jpg

What happens is that since the connector shield/metal outside part is not secured beyond two small points, any movement of this shield can cause a temporary dislodging and have the GROUNDED shield touch the 5V power line on the USB cable. Most Modern laptops and desktop computers put out between 500-1000ma of current at 4.5-5.5V which means that you could be having as much as 5.5Watts burning through those cable lines and melting the crap out of some rubber as in this case. This would not have happened is HTC had decided to go with the larger isolated and secured connector or if they simply had chosen to use a Hard ABS plastic instead of flexible rubber to secure a metal part (ga-'duh?!).

IMG_20110420_163152.jpg

What this can Harm:
- Burn out the Power Diode for your USB on your Laptop/Desktop making that port useless (did not burn out my BF's Thinkpad as it is fuse controlled)
- Burn your fingers/hands as it did to me causing a blister.
- Burn out your USB Receiving Chip on your laptop/desktop
- Burn stuff ( a lot of us have a bunch of papers right next to your computer).

Why this matters:
No way in H3LL is HTC going to pay to fix your laptop or build you a house or pay medical bills. They will likely redirect you to the company that designed and manufactured the cable which is likely very hard to sue in the US.

Spend some money on a nice BlackBerry or Motorola or basically any proper cable. $5 for peace of mind is worth it.

I am not a MatSci or Mechincal Engineer (only a Computer Engineer), but dear Lord tell me that at least an Industrial or Manufacturing Engineer looked over this before they sent it out the Door! *Likely Not based on Information Shown*

Last edited:

Childofthehorn

Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
This issue seems to just be happening now. 9-10months into ownership. I am not saying it will happen to everyone, I am just alerting you to the definite possibility. I mean just look at the rest of that cable, it looks like the day you got it!

nae36

Apr 6, 2011
interesting, never heard of the issue glad I saw this.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

liv4evr

Aug 11, 2010
It's fine. I broke my cable the day I got it anyways

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

mrusheen

Aug 11, 2010
I'm right around that 9-10 month mark of having my Evo. No problems so far and I haven't even seen anything close the the cable malfunctioning, but I'll keep an eye on it if anything goes wrong.

jayharper08

Retired Senior Moderator - The Troll Whisperer
Jan 7, 2008
The Dirty
Wonder if this is a reason so many Evo's usb/charging port goes bad?

Sent from "The EVO" using XDA Premium

Childofthehorn

Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
I don't think that this would have anything to do with Evo microusb ports going bad at all, that might just be a contact wear/ air moisture / board flexing problem. I know that my Evo sometimes can be a bit sensitive to getting it right, but my BF's Evo port is like new and locks like a beaut.

The reason why this is happening is the shield gets in contact with the power pin which cannot happen while your phone is connected.

The other construction on the cable is well done, but the steel shield on the MicroUSB end just isn't well designed for that rubber casing (which is was probably not designed for in the first place). It really does not take much flex on the micro-usb connection to make this happen. I have offered to buy all of the HTC cables like this from people I know at work to get a good test set of these. it was pretty easy to make it happen to a Co-workers cable by flexing the micro-usb area (rubber) till it let a little spark and started to heat up. However, he could plug it in again and have no problems. Its just that the rubber flexes too much and simply leaving it plugged in at your desk it could flex from gravity.

Talked to a Sprint store rep yesterday and a lot of people bring back that cable for being faulty, but he did not know the reason. Apparently people just say "it's broke" and then the rep gives them a new one.

jasongthang

Sep 14, 2008
Largo, FL
This is the reason why I tell people to not use their phone, or at least not talk on it, while its charging. You have this cheap little htc rectifier plug thats dropping 120v down to 5v or so, very scary. I only use the stock cable for charging my phone by my nightstand, so it doesnt see any wear or tear, it just lays there.

jwhitney83

Jun 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
mine has never gotten hot, but it quit staying hooked to the phone. I have to move it around to get a connection and set it down carefully. Thanks for the info I am going to get new one tomorrow!

danielsf

Oct 29, 2010
Hull
Hi, I have the Htc desire that uses the same stock micro usb cable as the evo, I have wanted to change the cable for ages because for some reason it comes out if the phone or any device without any effort, but I am wary of putting a cheap £1-2 cable in the wall socket charger thing in case it blows or something, so to just have piece of mind, is it defiantly ok to use any micro usb cable in the charger please? Thanks :)

Sunsparc

Jan 3, 2011
I've seen a lot of customers recently with this problem but none before about a month ago. Maybe they just recently switched how it's manufactured, but literally no customers complained about it breaking before.

Reactions: Childofthehorn

jIMMy_11

Sep 6, 2010
Hi,

cant believe what iam reading here. I had the same issue 2 weeks ago and I thought that iam the only one, but not with an EVO or Sprint rather with my !HD2!.

Apparently this is a HTC manufacturing problem :/

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
This makes me worry, but I have to admit, I'm also lazy.

That being said, do you have any links for a proper source for "a nice BlackBerry or Motorola or basically any proper cable. $5?"

I don't like going into the stores, as they try to sell me much more BS than I have patience for. A link to a known, proper substitute would be greatly appreciated.

(I understand if you detest my lazy butt, but if you have links, you'd be considered a Ninja, and would get a "Thanks" point from me. L'chiam.)

brilldoctor

Aug 6, 2010
Hi, I have the Htc desire that uses the same stock micro usb cable as the evo, I have wanted to change the cable for ages because for some reason it comes out if the phone or any device without any effort, but I am wary of putting a cheap £1-2 cable in the wall socket charger thing in case it blows or something, so to just have piece of mind, is it defiantly ok to use any micro usb cable in the charger please? Thanks :)

should be - i often charge my wildfire off my (powered) usb hub using the cable for my WD passsport

Morales18

Sep 5, 2009
I have trouble with my charger for my Evo. The very tip underneath the port that connects to the phone, the wires are loose. I have to play with the wire and then set the phone down slowly just to get a charge. I actually can see the wires. I believe there is a malfunction in these cables.

Anyone else experience this?

jasongthang

Sep 14, 2008
Largo, FL

That being said, do you have any links for a proper source for "a nice BlackBerry or Motorola or basically any proper cable. $5?"

I don't like going into the stores, as they try to sell me much more BS than I have patience for. A link to a known, proper substitute would be greatly appreciated.

(I understand if you detest my lazy butt, but if you have links, you'd be considered a Ninja, and would get a "Thanks" point from me. L'chiam.)

i recently bought this for my friend, whose ex-wife took his charger and everything else :mad: but hes been hanging out at my place so he can at least charge his phone lol. So I bought him this, he hasnt had any issues with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Wall-AC-Cha...737680?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item45fa19ca90

Its for a Droid X, but its the same port as an Evo, or in my friend's case, a Samsung Moment.

Reactions: scooter1979

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As Seen on my Blog at DoesitPew.Blogspot.com

IMG_20110420_163137.jpg

The case today is an HTC Evo MicroUSB Cable.
    This is the same cable that came with your HTC Evo and it may be the one that you still use.

STOP USING THIS CABLE ASAP - IT WAS POORLY ENGINEERED AND MIGHT BREAK YOUR PSU OR COMPUTER!!!!

IMG_20110420_163045.jpg

I can say this because this is NOT the first time I have seen this same thing happen. You see, this is my Boyfriend's HTC Evo MicroUSB cable and not mine. Mine had the same issue, except I caught it right when it happened as it burned my hand when I was getting ready to plug in my phone at work 3 weeks ago!

microusb.JPG

This Cable was not engineered properly because of the MicroUSB Connector Chosen. Instead of using a proper MicroUSB Cable Mount style Connector as seen in the picture below, they went with a panel mount/board mount hybrid connector (cheapest as it uses board mount parts) as seen above.
    IMG_20110420_164023.jpg
    IMG_20110420_164032.jpg

What happens is that since the connector shield/metal outside part is not secured beyond two small points, any movement of this shield can cause a temporary dislodging and have the GROUNDED shield touch the 5V power line on the USB cable. Most Modern laptops and desktop computers put out between 500-1000ma of current at 4.5-5.5V which means that you could be having as much as 5.5Watts burning through those cable lines and melting the crap out of some rubber as in this case. This would not have happened is HTC had decided to go with the larger isolated and secured connector or if they simply had chosen to use a Hard ABS plastic instead of flexible rubber to secure a metal part (ga-'duh?!).

IMG_20110420_163152.jpg

What this can Harm:
    - Burn out the Power Diode for your USB on your Laptop/Desktop making that port useless (did not burn out my BF's Thinkpad as it is fuse controlled)
    - Burn your fingers/hands as it did to me causing a blister.
    - Burn out your USB Receiving Chip on your laptop/desktop
    - Burn stuff ( a lot of us have a bunch of papers right next to your computer).

Why this matters:
    No way in H3LL is HTC going to pay to fix your laptop or build you a house or pay medical bills. They will likely redirect you to the company that designed and manufactured the cable which is likely very hard to sue in the US.

Spend some money on a nice BlackBerry or Motorola or basically any proper cable. $5 for peace of mind is worth it.

I am not a MatSci or Mechincal Engineer (only a Computer Engineer), but dear Lord tell me that at least an Industrial or Manufacturing Engineer looked over this before they sent it out the Door! *Likely Not based on Information Shown*
    I've seen a lot of customers recently with this problem but none before about a month ago. Maybe they just recently switched how it's manufactured, but literally no customers complained about it breaking before.

i recently bought this for my friend, whose ex-wife took his charger and everything else :mad: but hes been hanging out at my place so he can at least charge his phone lol. So I bought him this, he hasnt had any issues with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Wall-AC-Cha...737680?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item45fa19ca90

Its for a Droid X, but its the same port as an Evo, or in my friend's case, a Samsung Moment.
    Ratykat, seems like you have a grounding issue with your touchscreen on the Desire.

That would be a phone hardware issue and not the cable. I would go and get your phone repaired or exchanged ASAP!