Acer Recovery Intaller 2.99beta1 (A100/A101/A200/A500/A501)

Search This thread

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
I'm trying it out today so far so good. It's the easiest way to get cwm on the A100 that I have tried so far. I was able to create a backup on the external sd card without a problem. I like the green text color too.:)

Nice work man. I'm glad I tried it out.:)

macia10

Nov 25, 2010
Łódź
hm I've got 2 messages.
1) Your Iconia A501 may not be supported! If you are running a custom rom, it may be reporting a different model.
2)Unable to download latest list of recoveries.

but after changing the model name in build.prop from Iconia A501 to A501 the first message is gone. Second is still there.

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
Are you connected to the internet when you run it? Not sure why it wouldn't be able to download the list.

hm I've got 2 messages.
1) Your Iconia A501 may not be supported! If you are running a custom rom, it may be reporting a different model.
2)Unable to download latest list of recoveries.

but after changing the model name in build.prop from Iconia A501 to A501 the first message is gone. Second is still there.

My apologies to for not having another update ready yet. I haven't had much time to work on it the past couple of weeks. I should be able to work on it some this week for a possible weekend update.

If someone can send me a stock recovery for the A510, I'll repack thor1.7 cwm using that kernel.

elborak

Jun 8, 2010
I assume this
Since this version is not on the android market, it cannot validate any premium licenses, although it will use one if you already have a local license file.
is why I'm getting this
Your locally cached license is about to expire. Please connect to the internet soon to refresh your license status.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

This is not new to ARI 2.99beta1, but I thought this would be a good thread to report this issue.

One problem I noticed after I updated my ROM to FlexReaper 12.5 is that when I would go into ARI and select "Backup all partitions" is that it would reboot into recovery and then almost immediately reboot without running a backup. /cache/recovery/last_log didn't show any useful error.

I finally figured out it was because in FR 12.5, the ro.display.id property contains a ':' character. This was then used in the default filename for the backup, which fails as colon is an illegal character in the FAT32 filesystem. Manually changing the ':' to '_' resolves the problem.

You should probably filter this character out by default in your next release.

hatefuel19

Sep 23, 2010
Lex
Will this allow me to flash a working gpl compliant recovery on unlocked bl v3?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
Thanks, I'll definately do that!

Been doing alot of updates on the licensing. Beta2 is in the link of the OP, but I just haven't had a chance to make a changelog. It supports A510, but not sure how stable the cwm is for it. Will be working on adding twrp support soon.

Beta3 should come hopefully sunday night (may not have twrp support yet).

I assume this

is why I'm getting this

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

This is not new to ARI 2.99beta1, but I thought this would be a good thread to report this issue.

One problem I noticed after I updated my ROM to FlexReaper 12.5 is that when I would go into ARI and select "Backup all partitions" is that it would reboot into recovery and then almost immediately reboot without running a backup. /cache/recovery/last_log didn't show any useful error.

I finally figured out it was because in FR 12.5, the ro.display.id property contains a ':' character. This was then used in the default filename for the backup, which fails as colon is an illegal character in the FAT32 filesystem. Manually changing the ':' to '_' resolves the problem.

You should probably filter this character out by default in your next release.

Reactions: nocoment07

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
I think I should clarify. I don't want thors recovery so will this allow me to flash a working RA or twrp with ics boot loader.

Yes, if it's names "recovery.img" and in the root of you micro sdcard, then it will install it. However, those are not compatible with the backup/restore and download/install roms features.

I'm working on adding support for twrp's OpenRecoveryScript. But currently, TWRP doesn't boot on the new ICS bootloader (for me, anyway). I don't know when team win will put out a version that will boot on the ICS bootloader. Hopefully soon.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Yes, if it's names "recovery.img" and in the root of you micro sdcard, then it will install it.
and if you have backed up a custom recovery, is this named recovery.old.img or recovery.custom.img ? I ask cos I've had issues in the past when trying to backup more than 1 custom recovery, (altho with v2.99 its a little easier) my stock HC and ICS and twrp - the restore has not loaded the correct one - no biggie tho

I'm working on adding support for twrp's OpenRecoveryScript. But currently, TWRP doesn't boot on the new ICS bootloader (for me, anyway).....
excellent news EB!!!! I;ve just switched to TWRP and really impressed with it - i love all the options, easy to use, backups only take an instant - and no fear of accidentally hitting those soft keys(cwm1.7)and sending me and my tab into a spin!!!

I decided to go ahead and start adding in the OpenRecoveryScript support and to do more testing before releasing beta3. Hope to have it ready this weekend.
thankyou for all your work EB this is awesome news.....

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
and if you have backed up a custom recovery, is this named recovery.old.img or recovery.custom.img ? I ask cos I've had issues in the past when trying to backup more than 1 custom recovery, (altho with v2.99 its a little easier) my stock HC and ICS and twrp - the restore has not loaded the correct one - no biggie tho

It's always named recovery.old.img and will get overwritten if you try to back up a different one. After I get v3.0 released, I'll look into being able to name them and have them listed in the menu.

thankyou for all your work EB this is awesome news.....
The praise is much appreciated.

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
Has anybody tried beta 2 with the Acer A510? I'm wondering if I'm about to become the first tester. Yikes! :eek:

psst.. (whispers) go ahead.. give it a try.. it won't hurt....

lol

Serioulsy, the app itself should work fine. It has a recovery that has been modified for the A510, but I've gotten little feedback. Just remember to unlock your bootloader before flashing a custom recovery to it.

I'm tempted to go buy one and play with it for a couple of weeks. I just don't want to get banned at BB, as I did that with the A200 a month or so ago.

burbank

Aug 17, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
psst.. (whispers) go ahead.. give it a try.. it won't hurt....

lol

Serioulsy, the app itself should work fine. It has a recovery that has been modified for the A510, but I've gotten little feedback. Just remember to unlock your bootloader before flashing a custom recovery to it.

I'm tempted to go buy one and play with it for a couple of weeks. I just don't want to get banned at BB, as I did that with the A200 a month or so ago.

Thank you for your reply. I love good customer support. Donation coming your way in a few minutes.

I've been installing recoveries and ROM's for quite some time on various droids and the Nook Color. But none of them required that I unlock the bootloader first. The more I read, the more I get nervous that I'll screw something up. Is it true that as long as I know my CPUID then I can always get back to where I was?

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

I just sent you $20. Thanks for your work on the A510. p.s. You should definitely get one. It's a great tablet. I have no regrets.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Is it true that as long as I know my CPUID then I can always get back to where I was

Put i't this way, if u don't have it and efforts to retrieve it are unsuccessful- then u will have less than a 1℅chance of ever recovering a working system.....

also, the cpuid must only ever have 15 digits, for how to retrieve and validate yr cpuid, check out the first link in my sig....

micky387

Recognized Developer
Sep 9, 2011
Lyon
always perfect.
I waiting update for new recovery thor 1.7.2.

Do you think is it possible to add feature with install .zip on sd and ext sdcard ??

thanks
Envoyé depuis mon A500 avec Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a beta release of the latest Acer Recovery Installer. Once the beta is finished, it will be release on the android market as version 3.0.

This release supports Acer Iconia A100, A200 and A500/A501. A100 and A200 must be using the ICS bootloader from the A200. Currently, there are no custom ROMs listed for the A100 and only one for the A200. More to come soon. There is a version of thor's 1.7 recovery for all devices. And all the included custom recoveries are GPL compliant. They all use stock kernels.

Since this version is not on the android market, it cannot validate any premium licenses, although it will use one if you already have a local license file. Therefore, this beta version will allow you to access the premium features w/o purchasing.

Some Notes:
    It will create a folder in the internal sdcard called ".AcerRecoveryInstaller", which is where it will store the downloaded custom recovery files. Premium user license is also stored here.

Much of the code on the main page was rewritten and modularized to help facilitate support of new devices. When the A510 and A700 come out, it should be fairly easy to support those as well (assuming we can unlock the bootloader on them.)

Recovery files are no longer embeded in the apk you download from the market, which makes the apk MUCH smaller. Supporting multiple devices would have made the apk much too large if they were still included in the apk. The recovery files will be downloaded the first time you run this version. If you install it over a previous version, it will try to copy them from the old location first.

Download
    http://www.interphaze.com/ROMs/Beta/Acer_Recovery_Installer.apk
    md5: f0a03b50e08faa09e8d49e7224b0cd0f

After downloading, the file will probably end up with a .zip extension instead of a .apk. Just rename it to .apk to install it.

As I release new versions, I'll updated this OP.

EDIT: A number of users have been confused by the red outlined banner at the bottom. This banner replaced the links to my other apps a few versions back (2.7 something). The presence of that banner does not mean you've lost your premium license. The next beta will probably display a thank you banner instead of the one shown now if the premium features have already been purchased.

EDIT: V2.99beta3 is available at the link above. Much of the underlying code was changed and needed much testing. I believe it is pretty stable now. It supports TWRP 2.1.1!
    I will make custom rom for A100 , give me some time.
    Just been very busy.

EDIT
    Full A100 custom rom is in A100 section
    V2.99beta3 is available at the link above. Much of the underlying code was changed and needed much testing. I believe it is pretty stable now.

* It supports TWRP 2.1.1 via OpenRecoveryScript.
    * Licensing code updated.
    * Banner at botton of main screen reflect current license status.
    * Can check/install app updates from the setting menu.
    * Resolution should work better for A100

Cheers,
    EB
    Will this allow me to flash a working gpl compliant recovery on unlocked bl v3?

yes. If the cwm is listed in the app, then it is GPL compliant. It does support the ICS bootloader.. Doesn't matter if it's the .11-ICS or the .12-UNL
    For me (future changelog)