[APP] Airvidplay

Search This thread

kotipelto

Sep 19, 2009
Elche (Alicante)
EDIT: can't post links, search for "Airvidplay" in market.

Extract media videos embedded in web pages and display them on any player you want! With Airvidplay you can extract video clips embedded in websites (Even if your browser does not support FLASH!) having the freedom for playing it anytime, on the device you want without the need of using a web browser. Once Airvidplay has processed a web page with an embedded video and you extract the video link you can:

-Watch the video in the native Android player or your favorite Android player (*).

-Download the video directly to your mobile device for later viewing without relying on an internet connection (**).

-Send a direct link to the video from your Android device to the TV in your living room or any 'renderer' DLNA in order to play it automatically with the highest quality possible (***).

-Share a direct link to the extracted video by email with a friend or yourself for playing it on any PC application.

Airvidplay is very simple to use: explore the web (or the specific video site app) from where you want to extract the video, share the link address with the "Share" function and then select "Airvidplay" in the list of available applications. If you run Airvidplay manually, the application tries to find a valid video link copied to the clipboard. Before playing, if desired, you can select the preferred video quality within the available (Low, Standard, High or HD). Sit back and enjoy the video!

Currently Airvidplay 1.0 supports the following video sites:
-Youtube.com
-Dailymotion.com
-Vimeo.com
-Marca.com
-Rtve.es
- ... And more supported sites in future releases!

Limitations:
-Airvidplay is unable to extract embedded videos on websites not belonging to the original video own domain. You must visit the original web video for proper operation.

This is a free version and it includes advertising banners. Airvidplay has been programmed in MIT App Inventor environment with minor modifications of Dalvik opcodes in the final stage.

NOTES:
(*) The native Android media player does not support playback of most low quality videos (FLV). To be played on an Android device a FLV player as "Mx Player" is required.
(**) Most web browsers automatically try to play videos instead of downloading them. "Opera Mobile" has been tested as capable of downloading videos.
(***) To send videos from Airvidplay to your TV or DLNA 'renderer' you need a DLNA control point as "BubbleUPnP" installed on your Android device.

Last edited by a moderator:

farzii

Mar 4, 2011

Extract media videos embedded in web pages and display them on any player you want! With Airvidplay you can extract video clips embedded in websites (Even if your browser does not support FLASH!) having the freedom for playing it anytime, on the device you want without the need of using a web browser. Once Airvidplay has processed a web page with an embedded video and you extract the video link you can:

-Watch the video in the native Android player or your favorite Android player (*).

-Download the video directly to your mobile device for later viewing without relying on an internet connection (**).

-Send a direct link to the video from your Android device to the TV in your living room or any 'renderer' DLNA in order to play it automatically with the highest quality possible (***).

-Share a direct link to the extracted video by email with a friend or yourself for playing it on any PC application.

Airvidplay is very simple to use: explore the web (or the specific video site app) from where you want to extract the video, share the link address with the "Share" function and then select "Airvidplay" in the list of available applications. If you run Airvidplay manually, the application tries to find a valid video link copied to the clipboard. Before playing, if desired, you can select the preferred video quality within the available (Low, Standard, High or HD). Sit back and enjoy the video!

-Youtube.com
-Dailymotion.com
-Vimeo.com
-Marca.com
-Rtve.es

Limitations:
-Airvidplay is unable to extract embedded videos on websites not belonging to the original video own domain. You must visit the original web video for proper operation.

This is a free version and it includes advertising banners. Airvidplay has been programmed in MIT App Inventor environment with minor modifications of Dalvik opcodes in the final stage.

NOTES:
(*) The native Android media player does not support playback of most low quality videos (FLV). To be played on an Android device a FLV player as "Mx Player" is required.
(**) Most web browsers automatically try to play videos instead of downloading them. "Opera Mobile" has been tested as capable of downloading videos.
(***) To send videos from Airvidplay to your TV or DLNA 'renderer' you need a DLNA control point as "BubbleUPnP" installed on your Android device.
How do i paste a link in input link box?

Sillik

Dec 11, 2010
Huawei Mediapad M3
Looks very interesting!

I'm using a JellyBean rom on an older device that doesn't allow to play flash videos in browser so I wast just thinking about an app doing what you are doing, like yesterday!

But unfortunately I get an error when launching the app:
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
Source file: Form.java
Line Number: 445

My system is in french so it is probably a language incompatibility.

Let me know if you need more info on this.

okty2k

Apr 24, 2010
Interesting idea, but a NOGO for me as it only supports several sites. Somehow similar to Twonky Beam, it supports also Flash, but less sites.

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
Could something like this work to make NetFlix videos downloadable for later viewing?

mad_ady

May 8, 2008
Sources for plugins

Well, I've played with this app a bit and it looks very promising - good job! The only problem is - one needs to wait for the developer to add support for their favorite site and/or wait for site support to be fixed when the site changes the layout/structure. It's a cat and mouse game, but it has a chance of working if there are multiple persons working on support for various content.

I've worked for a few years on a similar project that used a site scraper to get the video links and push them to a media player (the WDTV Live). The project is called UMSP and is part of the WDLXTV firmware for that media player. There are a ton of (>50) plugins written for UMSP that handle some sort of scraping (mostly by using regular expressions or acting as a proxy) in order to get the URL for the video file and pass it to the player process.

I guess the logic behind some of those plugins can be added to Airvidplay and extend its functionality in the future. The plugins are written in PHP so they can't be directly used, though...

Supported plugins (note, not all of them still work - check out the details thread for each one if you want to port the scraping code over): http://umsp.wdlxtv.com/manifest.xml
You can get the plugin code via svn (svn co --username guest --password guest https://svn.wdlxtv.com/svn/umsp umsp-plugins) or have a look through the web portal: http://svn.wdlxtv.com/listing.php?repname=UMSP
The info.php file in each plugin will contain a description of the plugin + a link to its support forum thread.

A guide to understanding how such plugins work (and how to develop one): http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/UMSP_plugin_development
UMSP plugin forum: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewforum.php?f=53

Now, I understand that this will involve a lot of work on the developer's part, but at least he can read some code to understand how to extract a video URL (and in some cases how to decrypt it!) to make a specific site work. Because of the amount of work involved I guess the future of this project will be brighter if the program would have a "plugin mode" - some mechanism for users to add their own parsers/scrapers so that one can add support for any site they desire (as long as they know some regular expressions). I'm not sure what the best way to build this plugin architecture would be - could be something simple as reading the regular expressions from text files in a specific directory at start time and associating a base URL to a regular expression, or could be something more complex.

Since site structure often changes, the plugins would be more efficient and easier to be maintained (while still being downloaded with the app).

If you are interested in expanding this application and if you need my help with porting some code from these plugins, let me know and I'll try to help.

Other projects of interest might be the cclive/quvi project (http://quvi.sourceforge.net/) and the XBMC scrapers.

Last edited:
Reactions: jediknight111

mad_ady

May 8, 2008
I haven't seen any developments in almost 1 year. No open sources either. I would say it's a lost cause

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-Youtube.com
    -Dailymotion.com
    -Vimeo.com
    -Marca.com
    -Rtve.es

Limitations:

NOTES:
    If this works for Amazon's Instant Videos, you'll really be on to something.
    Could you please add support for comedycentral.com, thecomedynetwork.ca, nbc.com, and citytv.com
    Sources for plugins

Well, I've played with this app a bit and it looks very promising - good job! The only problem is - one needs to wait for the developer to add support for their favorite site and/or wait for site support to be fixed when the site changes the layout/structure. It's a cat and mouse game, but it has a chance of working if there are multiple persons working on support for various content.

I've worked for a few years on a similar project that used a site scraper to get the video links and push them to a media player (the WDTV Live). The project is called UMSP and is part of the WDLXTV firmware for that media player. There are a ton of (>50) plugins written for UMSP that handle some sort of scraping (mostly by using regular expressions or acting as a proxy) in order to get the URL for the video file and pass it to the player process.

I guess the logic behind some of those plugins can be added to Airvidplay and extend its functionality in the future. The plugins are written in PHP so they can't be directly used, though...

Supported plugins (note, not all of them still work - check out the details thread for each one if you want to port the scraping code over): http://umsp.wdlxtv.com/manifest.xml
    You can get the plugin code via svn (svn co --username guest --password guest https://svn.wdlxtv.com/svn/umsp umsp-plugins) or have a look through the web portal: http://svn.wdlxtv.com/listing.php?repname=UMSP
    The info.php file in each plugin will contain a description of the plugin + a link to its support forum thread.

A guide to understanding how such plugins work (and how to develop one): http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/UMSP_plugin_development
    UMSP plugin forum: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewforum.php?f=53

Now, I understand that this will involve a lot of work on the developer's part, but at least he can read some code to understand how to extract a video URL (and in some cases how to decrypt it!) to make a specific site work. Because of the amount of work involved I guess the future of this project will be brighter if the program would have a "plugin mode" - some mechanism for users to add their own parsers/scrapers so that one can add support for any site they desire (as long as they know some regular expressions). I'm not sure what the best way to build this plugin architecture would be - could be something simple as reading the regular expressions from text files in a specific directory at start time and associating a base URL to a regular expression, or could be something more complex.

Since site structure often changes, the plugins would be more efficient and easier to be maintained (while still being downloaded with the app).

If you are interested in expanding this application and if you need my help with porting some code from these plugins, let me know and I'll try to help.

Other projects of interest might be the cclive/quvi project (http://quvi.sourceforge.net/) and the XBMC scrapers.