[NO MORE IN DEV 07/31/200] ContactManager 0.11 - Another try for "finger friendly"...

Search This thread

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
[NO MORE IN DEV 07/31/200] ContactManager 0.11 - Another try for "finger friendly"...

ContactManager is no more developped, please use the new native version. You can get more information here

ContactManager 0.11

What it does:
- "classic" finger scrolling
- tapping the contact make appear a screen with contact info (photo, name, phone, sms and mail). Selecting one option launch the default compose dialog or make the call. You can also change the contact picture from the detail directly.
- display contact photo if present (in the list and the contact detail).

What's different:
- if you press you finger on the left or right border of the screen it will allow you to select the letter you're searching for, release the finger, it will show you the contact starting with this letter. For me that's the way to go in touch interface: release should trigger the event, push should only provide visual feedback, I'd like a visual kb like this.
- the contact detail is not the standard one, you can show only the information you want (and it's animated ;).
- the list is animated (scrolling) and the transition between list and detail also.

Settings file:
There is an .ini file that you can create in the directory where the program reside. It contains color, font and image settings. See the setting.ini provided in the zip file.

To install, copy the unzipped file to your ppc and run it. Should be enough. Tested on WM6 only, apparently it also run on WM5. Sorry for 2003 owner, as I don't have such device, I'm unable to test.

Please inform me, before publishing this app on any other website... (a mail to qpouplard // gmail.com will be enough). I'm not against it at all, but I'd like to know it.

What's new? (0.11)
- Localization support
- Bug fixes
- Updated default theme
- Setting to adjust image position
- Multiline information are supported
- Memory optimization

How to use localization??
Copy "lang.fr.ini", adapt the file to your need, change "fr" to your PDA country ISO name. (fr for France, sp for Spain, de for Germany, etc...).

I'll provide localization soon.

What's new? (0.10)
- Gesture: you can slide you finger from right to left or right to left, it will go act like the lower left softkey.
- Bug fixes: app crashing while deleting contact
- New virtual contact: at the end of the list you have a new contact, tap on it to create a new
- New default theme inspired from the Touch
- New settings to adjust contact detail information

To download version 0.11 please go to the brand new ContactManager website: http://www.pocketcm.com.

Please always link to my website, do not provide binary yourself. I'm clearly trying to bring some traffic to my website... so I can continue to develop for free.

You like this application? I've put some time developping this application, it also take me lot of time to take all your valuable comments into account. I'm doing mostly for technical challenge and fun, but ... any donation is appreciated (even the small one) (and will motivate me to continue the development as a freeware), please use this link

Feature to come:
- Native version (who read this? :p)
- Sync with MyOE contact (http://myoedev.blogspot.com)
- (maybe) compose sms from the application, mainly to allow me to test with SIP method using C# and not C++.
- Setup/packaging integration on the Touch (cube, dialer, etc...).

Download ContactManager 0.11

Attachments

• cm.jpg
    cm.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 7,269
Last edited:

pl55

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks- this is a very nice version- I like it. :D
One suggestion- can the A-Z letter can be another colour- ie colour RED ( or user defined) ... Well done !!!

Guybrush

Feb 13, 2006
very nice job :) and I had the same idea for show contacts for my new iMedia :) continue to work with it, it's going very nice...
btw some things to adjust :
- scroll isn't very good yet
- left index is too much on the left (
- characters are very ugly on my device

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
pl55, I'll think about adding some options ;) On the other side, if one of you feel like an artist, feel free to propose something!

Guybrush, can you elaborate what's wrong about scrolling (I mean I agree with you, but on the other side, I have a smartphone for 5 days now... I don't have lot of experience about what's "good" or "bad").

You want left index to be longer? for now it's 26 pixels, maybe 30 will do the job?

Related to the ugliness or character, can you post a screenshot? I only have an HTC touch to test (and the emulator).

Guybrush

Feb 13, 2006
that's a screen as appear on my device... about left index look screenshot of my SSContact, i think it's good like that... Scrolling is slow... and not fluid... don't give me good feelings.

Last edited:

pl55

Oct 18, 2006
I've have a little problem, I can call using the Call button, but the send Sms button doing nothing ....

myRIGHT

May 12, 2007
hi,tene
Very nice work,it looks good by adding contact photo and the idea of side contact to call or to send SMS.
The alpha.index is working but as the application is to be used by finger so it is very difficult to use this index by finger.
Second thing is the scrolling is heavy not fluid,the best i think to scroll is icontact of Larna ,it scrolls very nice.
So keep it up and we all wait for another release with fixed bugs. :D :D
thanks

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
pl55, do you have configured anything specific for SMS? WM5 or 6? I'm using "standard" CF function to start the compose SMS stuff.

myRIGHT: regarding performance, what PPC are you using? How many contact do you have? (I have like 100 on mine). How is the sliding to contact detail going? (it's important, if sliding is bad, I'll have to think about a totally different method).

For the alpha index, my idea was exactly to make it usable by finger: its very hard to point to the right letter, but it's rather easy to move your finger to the right position, so the idea is: tap anywhere on left (or right) part of the screen, and move your finger until you're on the right letter, then remove the finger, that's it. That's also why you get a visual feedback (ugly for now, will look better soon).

robertn

Sep 11, 2006
Amsterdam
Wow this looks promising! Good work! Here are my thoughts:

Like MyRIGHT said, I feel the scrolling in larna's icontact is perfect, so if you could get that kind of feel it would be great!

For now though the biggest thing bugging me is the way it sorts the names, File As always seems the prefered way (again like in larna's icontact). If you could fix this I would definitaly use this instead of icontacts!

Good job on the abc index too, maybe you can make the "area" on the right hand side of the screen a little wider (thumb width ;) )
Maybe you could also make the letter that shows up in the middle of the screen more obvious (coloured background or so).
I like how you can you use the virtual keyboard to jump to the first letter!

I LOVE the way the screen slides to the left when you click on a name. It's a lot faster than waiting for the "default" screen to show up too! Maybe the screen that comes in can look a little better like you said though.

The bottom buttons (search and new) don't seem to do anything, but maybe you havent gotten around to that yet. Maybe you could have the app fullscreen and have 4 buttons at the bottom which launch speed dial, call history, the keypad and new contact or so ?

It's also interesting how the d-pad always scrolls all the way to the top of the list no matter what button you press :)

Hope this might help you and I hope I don't come across as someone who can only complain, this is a really nice app!

pl55

Oct 18, 2006
pl55, do you have configured anything specific for SMS? WM5 or 6? I'm using "standard" CF function to start the compose SMS stuff.

myRIGHT: regarding performance, what PPC are you using? How many contact do you have? (I have like 100 on mine). How is the sliding to contact detail going? (it's important, if sliding is bad, I'll have to think about a totally different method).

For the alpha index, my idea was exactly to make it usable by finger: its very hard to point to the right letter, but it's rather easy to move your finger to the right position, so the idea is: tap anywhere on left (or right) part of the screen, and move your finger until you're on the right letter, then remove the finger, that's it. That's also why you get a visual feedback (ugly for now, will look better soon).

My apologies, the SMS send button work fine, it's just take a while to load up. :eek: . With my Hermes and WM6 - I like the speed of scrolling it's just feel right - ( just like larna's icontact) .
I've to agreed with others, the A_Z index is so tiny, may be if it can be triggered wih another screen A_Z ( more like the contact detail but appear from the left side this will make finger buttom easier).

jolas

Feb 22, 2006
Athens
It's very very nice, but it can't be displayedcorrect om a htc universal (vga screen). If you could make a vga layout it would be perfect...

Mar 13, 2007
I think if the scrolling spped and a few graphics were added it would be great! i am a graphics artest, tell me the size and format of the images for things like the letters on the side and i can cook somthing up for u :)

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
Hi atomicshockwave,

For now I don't use image, only drawing text, however I'd like to have:
- A correct layout for contact detail (I can extract something from a mockup, for instance, you draw a beautiful sample for a given contact, and I'll try to integrate it).
- An image for the preview letter from the A_Z, something like a bubble pointing to the letter.

Regarding the size, the A_Z is 10*320, each contact is 220 * 32. For the contact detail, it just has to fill the screen.

Apparently it maybe great to think about VGA devices, I don't have one, but I suppose I can use the emulator (however, I fear performance would suffer).

Working on a new version... will update soon.

sunlip

Jul 5, 2006
Hi Tene,

Great and useful App ! it run smoothly and scrolling speed is acceptable on my Hermes with WM6. Only 3 things i noticed that need enhancement:

1) contactmanager can't be minimized with the 'ok' button on Hermes, closing it tapping the 'X' works.
2) If the contact saved phone number in 'work tel', it wouldn't be displayed with your contactmanager (list and detail)
3) the 'new' and 'search' softkey is not responding ?

btw, scrolling at the border for first letter is really useful UI

Last edited:

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
> 1) contactmanager can't be minimized with the 'ok' button on Hermes, closing it tapping the 'X' works.

Is it something special to your device? (my problem, as a newbe with smartphone, I've no idea what you're talking about)

Regarding work tel, I added work tel to the list of phone number he tries to find, but I really should handle various phone number.

For the new and search, I just put them "for testing", they do nothing... but my question is: what button would be actually usefull?

sunlip

Jul 5, 2006
> 1) contactmanager can't be minimized with the 'ok' button on Hermes, closing it tapping the 'X' works.

Is it something special to your device? (my problem, as a newbe with smartphone, I've no idea what you're talking about)

It has a 'OK' button (most PPC phone has this button) to minimise the app (running in memory but hidden from the screen) instead of closing, it would be good if contactmanager can be minimised.

maybe a Exit softkey button would be useful instead of 'search'

diaftia

Mar 14, 2007
Danville, CA
Now see I like the scrolling MUCH better in this than iContact. It might be able to slow down a bit slower but the speed that it maxes out at is good. In iContact, sometimes when I scroll it goes too fast or straight to the bottom of the contact list. That is pretty fast given that I have 100 contacts.

My only issue is that there is only one number shown (which you pointed out), and that the search and new buttons are not functional. This is a big pain with the iContact app... no ability to add a new one. I am on the CUSTEL Ultimate WM6 ROM. This is a great foundation for a contacts app!

Last edited:

fffizzz

Jun 20, 2007
how do I update my .net compact framework? Says mine sucks.. errr out of date? Im running a treo 750

diaftia

Mar 14, 2007
Danville, CA
There is also some funkiness going on with the scroll wheel on the 8525. If you move it the contact goes straight to A and then the screen is unresponsive for a bit to finger scrolling.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PHP:
    [PHP]
    [/PHP]Great work on the software so far. keep it up.

After that the Landscape works okay if opened in Portrait first.. excpet the image is off course offcentered

Thanks for your feedback, it won't be fixed in ContactManager.

However it is already fixed in PocketCM. The native version of ContactManager, currently in private beta.