sense 4.0

Search This thread

ps3kev

Apr 19, 2012
does anyone know or has anyone heard if the vivid will even get the new sense 4.0 i know the new one X has it but the vivid has no love yet.. thanks

Aus_Azn

Aug 14, 2010
does anyone know or has anyone heard if the vivid will even get the new sense 4.0 i know the new one X has it but the vivid has no love yet.. thanks

Officially (as in from HTC), probably never.

Unofficially, probably after S-Off is released and CM9 is out.

ps3kev

Apr 19, 2012
thanks, do u know if there will be an official update to android 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 heard it is fixing alot of issues

Aus_Azn

Aug 14, 2010
thanks, do u know if there will be an official update to android 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 heard it is fixing alot of issues

Define issues, and honestly, since a global rollout has yet to occur, I doubt that upgrades >4.0.3 are going to occur. Maybe the regions that have yet to get ICS may get 4.0.4 or later, if those regions ever release an update.

Honestly, you're probably going to have to wait for CM to give you that.

daspazz

Mar 26, 2012
H0ust0ned
question????

@ Aus_AZN

Why do you think or what have you heard that indicates no Sense 4 for Vivid?

I'm new to the HTC line and reacquainting myself with Android phones. I had a Moto Droid X a few years ago until it was stolen. I was loving it compared to my old VeriZon semi-smart phone. But then it was liberated.

I also lost everything after the loss of a family member. So I really haven't had a quality phone for the last 2 years until I upgraded to the Vivid. I didn't do much research, I just knew it would be upgradeable to ICS. I only upgraded to it because I was able to get it for $49.99 as an upgrade from a Fry's electronics near me. So far it ROCKS!!!!

Also where is a good or great source to learn more about Sense and what it adds to the phone? I have seen very little here or on the HTC site or AT&T either.

Aus_Azn

Aug 14, 2010
@ Aus_AZN

Why do you think or what have you heard that indicates no Sense 4 for Vivid?

I'm new to the HTC line and reacquainting myself with Android phones. I had a Moto Droid X a few years ago until it was stolen. I was loving it compared to my old VeriZon semi-smart phone. But then it was liberated.

I also lost everything after the loss of a family member. So I really haven't had a quality phone for the last 2 years until I upgraded to the Vivid. I didn't do much research, I just knew it would be upgradeable to ICS. I only upgraded to it because I was able to get it for $49.99 as an upgrade from a Fry's electronics near me. So far it ROCKS!!!!

Also where is a good or great source to learn more about Sense and what it adds to the phone? I have seen very little here or on the HTC site or AT&T either.

Well, the Vivid is definitely upgradeable to ICS, just not Sense 4 ICS. The way Sense 3.6 looks is very similar to the way it looks on GB; you just get the ICS bonuses when you update it.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I for one hope we see sense 4.0 at some point. It's not out of the question. Hopefully after the one line gains some steam they'll update it.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

dfella30

Apr 15, 2012
Many bugs on this update like losing reception when entering a train station then having to manually turn it back on when back outside or rebooting. Lost of audio on games which needs a reboot and the constant upgrading android on reboots. I believe we will get an upgrade to work out the kinks. But doubt a sense update but who knows we got beats audio and sense 3.6. HTC is cool like that

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Aus_Azn

Aug 14, 2010
I for one hope we see sense 4.0 at some point. It's not out of the question. Hopefully after the one line gains some steam they'll update it.

I don't think they'll update it; I think the user community will pull through. There is some efforts being made right now, but a lot of it is blocked courtesy of RIL issues.

dfella30

Apr 15, 2012
Yea, but ATT isn't..

I've had sprint and t-mobile att is by far better in pricing. They even waved my activation fees and sold me a top of the line phone for 1 cent. While sprint and t-mobile man enough said. Never had verizon but after walking in and looking at the prices I walked out and never went back that was 5 years ago. What its been 5-6 months, fastest update to the latest and greatest ever not to mention we were the first to receive ICS if I'm correct. I think people are upset about the whole no unlimited data thing. But for what I use my phone for its ok haven't even hit a gig yet. Also lowest cancel fee as well. Haven't really needed support yet so don't know about that but S&T forget it.

homeslice976

Feb 25, 2010
Central Pennsylvania
All I meant by that is that ATT has been notorious for only providing 1 major update per device (minor security/software patches aside). We got ICS and Sense 3.6 as the update, I don't see, from history, ATT giving us another big update like Sense 4.0

dfella30

Apr 15, 2012
What pisses me off about all the cell phone companies is that they waste technology with greed. This phone among others have 2 CPUs and a monster gpu yet the current software does not utilize it very well at all. Now quads its truly a waste of hardware. When phones like the Samsung epic still does very well. ICS uses more resources and the following android update will use even more, making capable phones unable to be upgraded do to lack of resources. Now as far as sense 4 goes our phones have enough resource to handle the upgrade to not give it is a waste and a greed move. Also I hate reading a phone has 1gb ram but 300 available, its starting to be a joke. Laptops another mobile device that can receive the latest and greatest as long as the hardware is supported, they should just offer upgrades for a price which would guarantee upgrades as long as the hardware meets the requirements and offer them from the play store. And fixes should stay free.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Really overall the update has been pretty good to me. Some minor quirks here and there but everything works and it seems stable. Sense 3.6 works well just the look of it all gets to me. Coming from a Samsung, touchwiz definitley adds its own look but keeps enough elements that you still know what version of android your running. The way it sounds is htc rebuilt sense from the ground up to look good on the one series but just did some minor tweaking on the updated phones. I still question the call imo. And I don't get why htc feel the need to remove overscroll glow and Crt animations on their roms, very cool effects that SHOULD be enabled! And why is the app drawer so.... Gingerbread looking? And where are the widget previews and why aren't they located in the apartment drawer?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/02/01/editorial-sense-4-on-ics-one-step-forward-two-steps-back-for-android/ from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

From this article it sounds like 4.0 is more of the same anyway but it's spot on about what bugs me about sense ics

Last edited:

daspazz

Mar 26, 2012
H0ust0ned
Thanks for the link Cor-Master!!

I may want to back off of Sense and see what ICS really looks like. Who knew HTC was bastardizing ICS so much. Im new to the Vivid so I had no idea what Sense really was. Now I know more and knowing is half the battle!

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Yeah and like the author I'm not against custom UIs. In away its what android was all about and it allows manufacturers some freedom in putting their own stamp on Android. But in the case of sense its just too much. A good example is my captivate and it's official gingerbread update. Samsung put their own stamp on I with touchwiz but it still looked and felt like gingerbread. All and all I'd say touchwiz was 80% android. And the launcher wasn't as heavily weaven into the ui as sense so as for me I spent a majority of my time with it on adw ex. But sense is probably 30% stock Android if that. They really went out of there way to make sure android didn't look or feel like android anymore.

I like sense for the most part and the issue is fixable if htc just does a few minor things: #1 kill all the textured menus and use the stock holo theme for everything. #2. Enable all ics animations #3. Keep the notification bar stock. And last but not least #4. Use the stock app drawer. They could keep everything else the same and sense overall would world's better!

Last edited:

homeslice976

Feb 25, 2010
Central Pennsylvania
I like Sense. 3.6 is a huge step closer to an AOSP feel than 3.0 or 3.5 was. 4.0 looks even closer. Any way I look at it though, I like what HTC did with Sense. I think it enhances the look of the OS, without compromising resources too badly. It's definitely my favorite Android overlay (over touchwiz, motoblur, etc)...and it's one of the many reasons I bought the Vivid, because I like Sense. If I didn't like Sense, I probably wouldn't have bought HTC. Especially one who's development is a little slower than others.

ps3kev

Apr 19, 2012
i guess we just have to wait and see what happens maybe att will release an update for it i dont know

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did it, but still no leaves blowing during "wind", and no wiper going during "rain". The demo does show nice lightning during "thunderstorms". Thanks for trying though.;)

That don't make sense works for me but I'm using sense 4

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
    When you tap on the weather widget, then go into the "demo" mode, does it show all the proper animations? This answer will be a big help to me, thanks.:)

Interestingly enough the demo does not show me the videos the widget shows me. I.E. the "Rain" demo video just shows me rain, but I swear to you 100% i saw the windshield wiper yesterday

Edit: The "Demo" videos are only the videos you see from inside the weather widget, not the on screen animations. Right now I'm mostly cloudy, so i get the "Cloudy" video in the weather widget, but on my home screen i just get clouds flying in from the side.
    Haha never expected those animations to be a major selling point for anyone.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

Press and drag your clock to the edit box. Select your location and then after doing so you can press the box to enable animations. ;)

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium