[APP][4.0+][SMS App] Emu Messenger Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gummihaf

Aug 14, 2013
Emu Messenger Beta is an SMS app for Android which allows you to share your location with anyone and get messages re-sent at a later moment, for example when you get home.

Download by pointing your Android at http://emu.is/download
(Direct Download for those in regions without Play Store access.)

• Marco? Polo! Look for magic buttons on messages like, "Where are you?" Tap to send a map of your location – that updates as you move around.
  • Sometimes you get a message at the wrong time. Remember to take out the trash! Pay the rent when you get home! Emu has the answer, with Yo-yo. Swipe across a message and have it re-sent to yourself when you get home, to work, when you get up in the morning, or when you leave wherever you are.
  • Push to Talk: Running late? Hands full? Press and hold anywhere in a chat, then speak to send a message. There is no step three.

It all works over SMS/MMS, just use it instead of your built in Messages app, so no need to invite all your friends.

Send us your feedback to feedback@emu.is and especially if you'd like to join our labs program to get a sneak preview of some nifty upcoming features.

shot1.png
shot2.png
shot3.png

Mod Edit: Please note that download links are broken

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyEpic

Apr 3, 2011
I'll give this a try. Always looking for a solid sms/mms replacement which is not common.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Reactions: gummihaf

Anisrael

Apr 7, 2010
Piedmont
Very Nice!!!

Definitely one of my favorite messaging apps. I love the ease and functionalities. It's a breath of fresh air from the typical SMS app.. The tutorial is awesome. How do I get my messages to transition like that?:laugh: I'm not a big fan of peach, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. Any chance for off-line voice typing? And how do I get in on the alpha testing?

Samsung Rugby Pro SGH-I547
Stock TW Android 4.1.2

Reactions: mochipoo

arasraj

Aug 16, 2013
I've been working with the OP on this app and really believe that it provides functionality beyond existing messaging apps. My personal favorite feature is being able to resend message when I get to home or work. This has saved me multiple times from forgetting things.

MarcelBo

Jan 22, 2013
Hello:)

i can't install it...it says device is not compatible.

I have a galaxy s3 with android 4.1.2

and i'm from germany...is the location the problem?

JohnnyEpic

Apr 3, 2011
Suggestion:

Needs at least basic theming ability. Chat bubbles and maybe a few color changing abilities.

Perhaps the ability to change 'yoyo' times. I get to work at 7. Ability to create the gps coordinates for Home and Work and/or other to effectively use yoyo in different scenarios.

Really liking the clean simple interface. Although the colors are a bit... not to my preference or mismatches my themes, it is very simple UI.

Samsung Galaxy s3
Sprint iteration running Kennyglass TPR Rom
Android 4.1.2

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

The marcopolo, slightly confused. Is it constantly updating my gps to them for 30 mins? Is there a way to shut it down? It doesn't request to turn on gps if its off.

A way to delete individual text and not entire thread would be nice.

How do i access the 'alpha' features? (obtain code)

Perhaps a feedback link inside the app.

A google+ thread. Join the xda beta testers community and get your app listed.

Will report more as I abuse.... Errr use.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

When doing voice to text, option to cancel with a timer before sending or ability to see txt prior to sending where send button is required. This will prevent me from being a post on 'Damnyouautocorrect.com'...

gummihaf

Aug 14, 2013
Suggestion:

Needs at least basic theming ability. Chat bubbles and maybe a few color changing abilities.

Perhaps the ability to change 'yoyo' times. I get to work at 7. Ability to create the gps coordinates for Home and Work and/or other to effectively use yoyo in different scenarios.

Really liking the clean simple interface. Although the colors are a bit... not to my preference or mismatches my themes, it is very simple UI.

Samsung Galaxy s3
Sprint iteration running Kennyglass TPR Rom
Android 4.1.2

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

The marcopolo, slightly confused. Is it constantly updating my gps to them for 30 mins? Is there a way to shut it down? It doesn't request to turn on gps if its off.

A way to delete individual text and not entire thread would be nice.

How do i access the 'alpha' features? (obtain code)

Perhaps a feedback link inside the app.

A google+ thread. Join the xda beta testers community and get your app listed.

Will report more as I abuse.... Errr use.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

When doing voice to text, option to cancel with a timer before sending or ability to see txt prior to sending where send button is required. This will prevent me from being a post on 'Damnyouautocorrect.com'...

Thanks for the great feedback, keep it coming. A few responses in the interim:

• Re the yo-yo times, it should automatically detect your work and home location (might take 24-48 hours for a full cycle) at which point the times should go away; let me know if that doesn't happen for you.
  • Good point re deleting individual messages.
  • Ability to cancel speech message? Absolutely! Stay tuned :)
  • Email us at feedback@emu.is to get access to labs.
  • I looked at the XDA beta testers community and it didn't seem that active, perhaps we're talking about two different things? Do you have a link?
  • Themes - point taken, we'll mull on it.

JohnnyEpic

Apr 3, 2011
Fantastic. Thanks for the quick response.

One issue with the work detection. (I've raised this on a few apps regarding location awareness) I'm a general contractor and I'm usually bounching between several different locations throughout my day. If just a specific time set or perhaps a yoyo to 'Set specific time'. This would make a good work around. I get dozens of text per day that I'd like to re-text me. I've been using Google Keep but its getting chaotic inside the app. I was using a reminders notification app (notif pro) but I need my notifications for emails and other stuff. Great idea. I'm really liking the concept.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Yes, the Xda beta thingy on there isn't super active but the very few teaters there are very thorough and look for bugs/errors. They go beyond the use it as you would usage. Just a thought to ponder.

Will email for alpha code. Hope to get in.

ichi go

Apr 28, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Is it possible to upload the apk? Because I can't download it from France. Why don't you make it available in all countries?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app

gummihaf

Aug 14, 2013
Fantastic. Thanks for the quick response.

One issue with the work detection. (I've raised this on a few apps regarding location awareness) I'm a general contractor and I'm usually bounching between several different locations throughout my day. If just a specific time set or perhaps a yoyo to 'Set specific time'. This would make a good work around. I get dozens of text per day that I'd like to re-text me. I've been using Google Keep but its getting chaotic inside the app. I was using a reminders notification app (notif pro) but I need my notifications for emails and other stuff. Great idea. I'm really liking the concept.

Good point, probably true for quite a few people so we need a good solution for it.

JohnnyEpic

Apr 3, 2011
Should alpha features be discussed here or via email?

Akso, what's BOost mode?

Thanks,
J

Last edited:

hadi_rena

Sep 1, 2011
Bandung
Couldn't download, its says Incompatible with my devices (P990 using CM10.1). Does it's about country restriction ? I'm from Indonesia

Anisrael

Apr 7, 2010
Piedmont
Still Loving It

I ditched the other messaging apps for this one and have been very happy with it. :good: It's light weight and I love the off-line voice typing. No more having to search for a keyboard that uses Google's offline voice typing. I also love the alpha features. So far I've only run across two. But I'm not sure if these are really them or if they had already been there all along and I've just now found them. lol. One thing though, I work 2nd shift and the time options for when I get home or when I get to work does not correspond with my work schedule. Would it be possible to provide and option to change this? Keep up the good work. Thanks.

AT&T Galaxy S III
Stock TW 4.1.2

AT&T Rugby Pro
Stock TW 4.1.2

Reactions: gummihaf

gummihaf

Aug 14, 2013
I ditched the other messaging apps for this one and have been very happy with it. :good: It's light weight and I love the off-line voice typing. No more having to search for a keyboard that uses Google's offline voice typing. I also love the alpha features. So far I've only run across two. But I'm not sure if these are really them or if they had already been there all along and I've just now found them. lol. One thing though, I work 2nd shift and the time options for when I get home or when I get to work does not correspond with my work schedule. Would it be possible to provide and option to change this? Keep up the good work. Thanks.

AT&T Galaxy S III
Stock TW 4.1.2

AT&T Rugby Pro
Stock TW 4.1.2

First of all, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like the app.
Is the app not detecting your home and work automatically? It should shift from a time-based offering to location based once it has detected where you live and work, but if it isn't doing that it's a bug we need to look into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Emu Messenger Beta is an SMS app for Android which allows you to share your location with anyone and get messages re-sent at a later moment, for example when you get home.

Download by pointing your Android at http://emu.is/download
    (Direct Download for those in regions without Play Store access.)

• Marco? Polo! Look for magic buttons on messages like, "Where are you?" Tap to send a map of your location – that updates as you move around.
    • Sometimes you get a message at the wrong time. Remember to take out the trash! Pay the rent when you get home! Emu has the answer, with Yo-yo. Swipe across a message and have it re-sent to yourself when you get home, to work, when you get up in the morning, or when you leave wherever you are.
    • Push to Talk: Running late? Hands full? Press and hold anywhere in a chat, then speak to send a message. There is no step three.

It all works over SMS/MMS, just use it instead of your built in Messages app, so no need to invite all your friends.

Send us your feedback to feedback@emu.is and especially if you'd like to join our labs program to get a sneak preview of some nifty upcoming features.

shot1.png
    shot2.png
    shot3.png

Mod Edit: Please note that download links are broken
    I feel stupid for asking but what is boost mode lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Can someone upload the last version's apk plz? I can't download through Google Play since this app isn't available in my country (France)

Download link at http://emu.is/download-apk has been updated to the latest version.
    Will the notifications for this work the same way the stock SMS app works on 4.2? As in, will I be able to reply/read from the notification panel?

Only real reason I'm using stock SMS at the moment and it's quite efficient, but I'd love to try this out.

Thanks.

:good:

It does not. Although the app seems pretty clean and well done.

Some things I ran into: Received text, got no notification besides stock SMS app, opened with Emu, but texts were not there.

Also needs:
    Emoji support
    Themeing, even if simple
    Reply from notification.

Edit, I'll keep it for the Marco and Speech to text but stock will be primary. Agree with above poster; all of these should be included in stock app. Great work.
    Another missing feature is the fact in the notifications you can't swipe down and do a quick reply.