[Q] I've noticed a problem with palm rejection.

Search This thread

MutenMiller

May 23, 2014
Hey guys, I just picked up my Tegra Note and I'm enjoying it, but in testing out the potential and limitations of the DirectStylus, I came across a problem and I want to find out if it's just my problem, or if it's reproducible with all Tegra Notes with the latest system updates.

Basically, I'm using the stylus, and stylus only mode is activated. This works pretty well and ignores most/all inputs from anything except the tip of the stylus.

However, I have noticed that if I slide my finger onto the screen from the outer edge/bevel, it will often (nearly 100% of the time) register this as a touch. For an example, if I tap the home button with my finger nothing happens, however if I drag my finger from just below the screen onto the home button, it will press. Likewise I cannot scroll through home screens by normally swiping my finger, but if I swipe from off screen on the left or right, it will register. Bringing down the notification area with a finger swipe, etc, all work as well when naturally this should only be possible with the stylus.

The main problem with this is when writing/drawing with my hand resting on the edge of the device. If my palm is entirely off the screen it is fine. If my palm is entirely on the screen then stylus only works, too. However, if in the process of writing my hand slides from the side onto the screen, suddenly the stylus looses focus and I'm drawing lines with my palm.

I hope I have explained this issue correctly, and I wondered if this was a known problem? If there are any solutions? Have I messed up and set an option somewhere I shouldn't have? Should I get it replaced? Sorry for all the questions! :laugh:

Oh and it's not rooted or anything. Just stock, updated to the latest system version through the system updates.

Thanks, hope you can help!

BuToNz

May 21, 2014
I get a similar issue at the bottom left of the screen sometimes. It only seems to effect the bottom left but in both orientations so that rules out a hardware issue. Doing a quick lock and unlock seems to fix it for me and it functions fine until next time I turn on stylus mode. Seems hit and miss with no real way to replicate it.

It didn't seem to do it before ota 2.3 so I predict a hotfix for the issue. Its a minor issue, the battery life on 4.4.2 isn't however, 4-5hrs with lite use is pretty rubbish. I suspect that's an issue with the power saving features (I think it's stuck on Max performance all the time).

Would be nice if they fix the SD write issue but Google dictate that I think.

MutenMiller

May 23, 2014
Mine was certainly a lot worse than that - persistent on all four edges of the screen and there is no way to stop it. 60-80% of the time it was manageable, but consistently reproducible, other times it was far worse and could only manage dots and dashes when I tried to write anything while resting my palm on the screen. It also developed a 'blind spot' problem I've noticed reported on a couple of forums - a spot where the stlus simply refused to draw - so I grew more concerned that I had a problem with the actual hardware. So, I took it into the store I bought it from, and they're going to replace it for me.

Hopefully I won't have a problem with the replacement one, because I absolutely love the tablet!

rchrdcrg

Nov 19, 2010
Branson, MO
www.youtube.com
I've had similar problems... just remember, all of the stylus functionality is governed by software; the screen on this is simply a regular capacitive screen that's also capable of detecting the size and shape of what's touching it, and the rest is calculated by software. It's a neat idea, but in practice it hasn't held up as well as Nvidia would've liked us to believe. Now that I've had a Galaxy Note 2 for a couple months, I have to say that the active stylus experience blows the TN7 away, but then again it's a much more expensive technology to implement. I almost always used a pencil with my TN7 while it was my day-to-day work buddy since I found the stylus to be too sticky and hard to write with... I also found several of the issues I was having weren't as bad while using a pencil, so maybe you could give that a try. Also, remember that if the screen is dirty that it will affect the stylus's performance as the screen is so sensitive that even a little moisture could register as a touch on the screen.

MutenMiller

May 23, 2014
I received my replacement tablet today, and it is a lot better than the one I previously had. While the problem is still there, it is far, FAR better than before. Now it seems to be a minor nuisance, rather than a consistently reproducible problem. On top of that it has a much more vibrant screen - less yellow and washed out - and no 'dead zones' when trying to write with the stylus. So while I am certain software has an impact on performance, there must have been something weird going on inside the hardware of my previous device, too.

Considering the price, the fact that others have had similar issues, and how much I like about everything else - I'm very happy with my new TN7 now! :)

akii rock

Jan 11, 2013
OnePlus 5
Have same problem .... When i swipe from left or right side of the screen it detects stylus nd do all the things.... Dont knw wat to do amazon is not replacing too the tablet..! :(

ckavvouras

Sep 12, 2012
Montreal
Same problem, I don't usually mind it other when I'm using an app like sketchbook pro, it becomes really annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app