Kernel Messages boot animation

Search This thread

teknoraver

Jun 1, 2010
Milano
teknoraver.net
Hi,

I have made this custom boot image for myself and I wanted to share it.
I have disabled the bootanimation and I have enabled the kernel messages instead.

just flash the boot image and remove/rename /system/bin/bootanimation

if anyone is willing to help I would create an update zip which flashes the boot partition and renames /system/bin/bootanimation

Cheers,
Matteo

Attachments

• boot-syslog.img
    4.3 MB · Views: 173

leos0000

Hi,

I have disabled the bootanimation and I have enabled the kernel messages instead.

if anyone is willing to help I would create an update zip which flashes the boot partition and renames /system/bin/bootanimation

Cheers,
Matteo

Nice work bro

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

teknoraver

Jun 1, 2010
Milano
teknoraver.net
The thread was moved to "Galaxy Nexus Themes and Apps" but I don't really think that it's correct.
Tecnically it isn't a boot animation, is a kernel hack to disable it and show the "raw" boot.
Everything that is printed is printed by the TTY subsystem, it's not rendered by a bootanimation

leets4uc3

Jun 18, 2010
this is awesome. I disabled my boot animation and it only shows the kernel messages for a few seconds then a plain android boot animation appears. Is there any way to make it longer or is that all that is supposed to come up?

i am on aokp b37 also.

good work!

wilskywalker

Dec 30, 2009
@teknoraver

I would like to add this as a completely new section in my boot animation thread if that's cool??

Couple of clarifications though:

This looks more like a kernel edit to me and therefore this is somewhat ROM specific in that if folks flash this boot.img it will disable certain ROM specific features controlled by the kernel?

Assuming the above is true, a per ROM boot.img would need to be created to make this work whilst preserving all functionality?

To give an example, if you flash a custom kernel over cm9 you will find some of the settings options are blanked out and you are no longer able to use them unless you have a specific kernel control app or you start fiddling around with init.d scripts.

:D

teknoraver

Jun 1, 2010
Milano
teknoraver.net
Last edited:

phone_user

Nov 13, 2011

Cheers,
Matteo

Here, flashable zip in recovery

Using any kernel format installer (koush) does not touch the existing ramdisk (no problem on CM etc)

and Kernel.Messages.bootanimation_Restore.zip reverting /system/bin/bootanimation
(Edit : If you deleted that file already, flash Installing_system.bin.bootanimation.zip to restore)

Attachments

• Kernel.Messages.bootanimation_boot.img.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 35
  • Kernel.Messages.bootanimation_any.kernel.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 47
  • Kernel.Messages.bootanimation_Restore.zip
    128.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Installing_system.bin.bootanimation.zip
    137.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Matteo