GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
EDIT: I'm wrong, see rovo's answer.

Last edited:

rovo89

Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2012
Yes, native methods can be hooked. However, in case this is for an app's code, it has to be done after System.loadLibrary(), otherwise the latter overwrites the hook. Ideally, the framework should take care of this itself, but it's not straight-forward and the has been vey little need for this.

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
Yes, native methods can be hooked. However, in case this is for an app's code, it has to be done after System.loadLibrary(), otherwise the latter overwrites the hook. Ideally, the framework should take care of this itself, but it's not straight-forward and the has been vey little need for this.
I've always assumed this wasn't the case. Just to clarify, Xposed is able to hook native functions, but not (native) C/C++ code/libraries? I've read more than once it can't so I'm a bit confused. Thanks for the correction. :D

Last edited:

hwhh_1

Mar 19, 2019
How you go about hooking such methods? I am trying to hook some API methods, mainly the ones declared in the "Connectivity" class one such example is "isTetheringSupported" however I am struggling to do so as when I hook the method directly, the hook is never executed as I believe it is being called via the java.lang.reflect.Method invoke method, and when I try and hook that method I get the following error "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.reflect.Method#invoke()#exact"

C3C076

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
How you go about hooking such methods? I am trying to hook some API methods, mainly the ones declared in the "Connectivity" class one such example is "isTetheringSupported" however I am struggling to do so as when I hook the method directly, the hook is never executed as I believe it is being called via the java.lang.reflect.Method invoke method, and when I try and hook that method I get the following error "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.reflect.Method#invoke()#exact"
Are you talking about EdXposed? If so it should be noted that hook not working for a particular method can also be a result of art compiler optimizations. E.g. if the method is simple and not called from many places, compiler will include body of such method directly into methods that call that method. It's called inlining. So while you can see method at source code level, during runtime it's empty and never called as original body became part of another method. To overcome this you have to find a different strategy, e.g. hook such methods that are less likely to become inlined.

HpNoTiQ

Feb 26, 2015
Are you talking about EdXposed? If so it should be noted that hook not working for a particular method can also be a result of art compiler optimizations. E.g. if the method is simple and not called from many places, compiler will include body of such method directly into methods that call that method. It's called inlining. So while you can see method at source code level, during runtime it's empty and never called as original body became part of another method. To overcome this you have to find a different strategy, e.g. hook such methods that are less likely to become inlined.

In order to see if it inlined, there is a setting in EDXPOSED to deoptimize boot image.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to clarify, Xposed is able to hook native functions, but not (native) C/C++ code/libraries?

Correct. Only JNI functions can be hooked, i.e. those which are declared in and called by Java code.