Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Speaker Noise When Volume Muted

Search This thread

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
I'm just making this thread in the hope that this is a fixable problem, so here goes...

If I mute the tablet by lowering the volume until it is off and then play music or a youtube video, or indeed anything else that would normally result in sound through the speakers, I can hear a quiet noise that sounds a little bit like an old 56k modem trying to connect, sort of squelchy chirps and tweets.

I can recreate this every time, so I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if so, did you find a workaround or a fix? I found a thread on another forum where others were having the same problems here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-pro-8-4-random-noise-coming-out-speaker.html

It's easy to test, just go to youtube via your browser or the android app and play a video that has sound with your volume as low as it'll go.

Thanks! :)

PewPewK

Dec 23, 2013
Seattle
Same problem that became even more persistent when I installed CM11 to my 8.4.

Kind of annoying problem, wonder if there can be a software fix for it...

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
I've spoken to Samsung, they are aware of the fault and are looking into it, but they say that it is a hardware fault and the tablets will need replacing. So back mine goes today for a replacement.

PewPewK

Dec 23, 2013
Seattle
I've spoken to Samsung, they are aware of the fault and are looking into it, but they say that it is a hardware fault and the tablets will need replacing. So back mine goes today for a replacement.

Interesting. I guess I'll try to return mine at Best Buy before my 15-day return period is up. Any clue if Best Buy checks to see if the warranty void flag has been tripped or do they generally just accept the return regardless?

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
Interesting. I guess I'll try to return mine at Best Buy before my 15-day return period is up. Any clue if Best Buy checks to see if the warranty void flag has been tripped or do they generally just accept the return regardless?

I've no idea about Best Buy, sorry bud, I'm from the UK :good: The place I got mine from insist on a reference number from Samsung before they will authorise a return. Fortunately, Samsung were really helpful.

noitwo

Mar 10, 2014
I've returned mine 3 times and had the problem with all of the tablets. Samsung said there is no reported issues

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
Finally got my replacement, it seems to working ok, just a very faint hiss with my ear up against it, so all's good.

Last edited:

PewPewK

Dec 23, 2013
Seattle
I returned mine to Best Buy, (almost) no questions asked. I'll probably wait a while before picking up a replacement. Probably won't get it again until a price drop on the device.

TwinXM

Mar 30, 2012
I have the same problem, looks like all the Tab Pro 8.4 suffer from it, it only appears when I open an app/game with sound and mute it. Will be best if we all call Samsung and make them to "report" this issue.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Mine is not having this, or at least I can hear it ;)

Open any game, mute the Media sound and listen to the speaker, if you don't hear any noise you are one of the lucky ones ;)

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
I have the same problem, looks like all the Tab Pro 8.4 suffer from it, it only appears when I open an app/game with sound and mute it. Will be best if we all call Samsung and make them to "report" this issue.

My replacement 8.4 doesn't have the fault, same batch, same retailer. Seems to be luck of the draw.

kronikwisdom

Aug 29, 2007
First noticed this playing minecraft. Now it's all I hear and I really love this tablet. Ugh..

Edit: Returned to Best Buy. Pains me to do it but this is a killer issue.

Last edited:

rydiggity

Nov 6, 2013
I had beeen waiting for this tablet, Love the tablet but had to return it due to this issue. It's very loud in a quiet room.

I checked at store, even the display unit had the noise defect.

tzlot

Dec 5, 2012
My replacement arrives next week but in the mean time I just taped over the speaker grilles... solves the issue completely. It does muffle the sound but I still find it loud enough that I don't notice the muted effect in daily use. Gaffers tape works well - almost no residue, tears perfectly straight, and has a nice fabric feel like hockey tape.

noitwo

Mar 10, 2014
My replacement arrives next week but in the mean time I just taped over the speaker grilles... solves the issue completely. It does muffle the sound but I still find it loud enough that I don't notice the muted effect in daily use. Gaffers tape works well - almost no residue, tears perfectly straight, and has a nice fabric feel like hockey tape.

They let you keep the old while sending a replacement? Where did you buy yours? Samsung replacing?

tzlot

Dec 5, 2012
Bhphoto - they charge u for the 2nd then refund when the 1st comes back. Excellent customer service and 30day return policy :)

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My 8.4 does the same thing

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk