For those considering Galaxy S3 - Not compatibile with previously purchased MHL

Search This thread

Jfree3000

Jul 20, 2010
Metro Atlanta
So many responses over there, who is a troll and who isn't? It doesn't matter, there will be a ton of knock off MHL made after the phone is released. The people over there at Engadget forget how much MHL adapters cost when they first hit the market and there is no reason given but a video as mentioned in the comment section.

Maybe it's to support 1080p, maybe Samsung said hey we can make some extra money, maybe its to have a more secure hold to the phone, etc, etc. Won't stop the sale of the G3's in any way IMHO. Thanks for the link though OP.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
Stopped me from buying one.
I want a device thats comparable with my existing MHL Adapter.
The specs on the EVO LTE and SG3 are pretty close as far as im concerned.
So taking away my MLH adapter and forcing me to buy a new one bothers me. Less of a monetary issue and more of a principle issue.
But thats just me.

Vdubtx

Jul 24, 2010
Just wait for Monoprice.com to come out with the SIII specific one and move on down the road. No biggie to me.

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
You'd put off buying a device that you'll spend upwards of $200 on contract and $600 off because you don't want to buy a new non-essential adapter with the latest MHL spec for $20?

I don't think I'd let that be a factor. It's not like HDMI has changed, it's just the dongle, and it's changed for the better.

Reactions: woody296

gingson

Nov 1, 2010
Nassau County, NY
I am on my last few days of hanging out here in the evo 3d forum. I am still pisssed that this good phone is retired too soon.:'(

Pre-ordered SGS3.:)

DowntownRDB

Dec 13, 2010
You'd put off buying a device that you'll spend upwards of $200 on contract and $600 off because you don't want to buy a new non-essential adapter with the latest MHL spec for $20?

I don't think I'd let that be a factor. It's not like HDMI has changed, it's just the dongle, and it's changed for the better.

Well Said LiquidSolstice!

Reactions: mrtomaso

Mr_Armageddon

Oct 31, 2007
Denver
So after reading up more on the MHL issue, they went from a 5pin to a 11pin layout on the GSIII. Supposedly, that allows both HDMI out and USB Host functionality at the same time, which the previous 5pin version can't do.

So theoretically you could watch a movie on your TV via HDMI, from a file located on an external HDD plugged into your phone. Pretty cool, but still sucks that it requires a new adapter to do so.

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
I was going to comment on this a while back and forgot.
This also reminds me of the older HTC devices that too had 11 pins out on the mini usb ports.
These would allow an adapter to be plugged in for audio as well as usb for charging or data usage.

If this was an industry standard id be all for it.
Perhaps this is the first phase of it and soon other manufacturers will follow suit and have 11 pin micro usb..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BTW, does the charger/USB port on the GSIII the same as on the EVO3D?

Yes, micro USB.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Well Said LiquidSolstice!