System Requirements for ROM Development?

Search This thread

TrikkJames

Feb 12, 2014
I'm just gonna go out and say it. When it comes to ROM development, I'm a complete noob. However I learn extremely fast, and once I learn, I make amazing things.

I love Android. I love Android hacking. I love the utilization of custom ROMs. And now, I want to love ROM development.

But maybe my computer can't do it? Not sure. It's an Acer Aspire 5000 from 2006 currently running Windows 7 Ultimate and I keep it in safe mode to run faster. It has 512mb RAM I believe.

What are the system requirements of developing a ROM?

Critical Detox

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm just gonna go out and say it. When it comes to ROM development, I'm a complete noob. However I learn extremely fast, and once I learn, I make amazing things.

I love Android. I love Android hacking. I love the utilization of custom ROMs. And now, I want to love ROM development.

But maybe my computer can't do it? Not sure. It's an Acer Aspire 5000 from 2006 currently running Windows 7 Ultimate and I keep it in safe mode to run faster. It has 512mb RAM I believe.

What are the system requirements of developing a ROM?

A PC for building a ROM will need to be running Linux, also it will need at the least 4GB of ram or more to help the process, as for the processor that's typically up to the user but something along the lines of an Intel core i5 or i7 are ideal for speed. Some ROMs can take hours to build and last but not least a nice big hard drive typically 500gb or more. This would typically be an ideal ROM building machine, however I'm not a ROM builder these are just what I've learned overtime from actual developers. Any other devs willing to chime in on my post is more then welcomed.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

TrikkJames

Feb 12, 2014
A PC for building a ROM will need to be running Linux, also it will need at the least 4GB of ram or more to help the process, as for the processor that's typically up to the user but something along the lines of an Intel core i5 or i7 are ideal for speed. Some ROMs can take hours to build and last but not least a nice big hard drive typically 500gb or more. This would typically be an ideal ROM building machine, however I'm not a ROM builder these are just what I've learned overtime from actual developers. Any other devs willing to chime in on my post is more then welcomed.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

Hmm someone over at Android Forums told me I'd be fine as long as it wasn't from scratch.

Then they recommended that if I'm on a budget that I can look for i3 with 4gb ram?

But I know absolutely nothing about buying ram.