[MOD] Nexus S Gingerbread on Steam (with working keyboard)

Search This thread

sztupy

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2008
Edinburgh
sztupy.hu
Just to demonstrate the power of Steam, I hereby provide you a Steam Powered Gingerbread

This is based on SC's idea of using /data to store the gingerbread files, which works even if FSR is not loaded.

I also went forward and fixed the keyboard issue, so now the home, back and menu buttons work as expected! Oh, and also added recovery mode (running steam recovery of course :) ), that can be opened using the ususal three button combo. ("adb reboot recovery" or similar will not work however)

What still doesn't work:
- Wifi
- Modem (3g and phone)
- Camera
- Gps

Installation:
1. Download the system dump from here, and put the file on the root of your internal SD card
2. If not already on ext2 or ext4, convert your /data partition to ext4. (because the next step requires Steam Recovery, I'd go with Steam kernel, if your current one doesn't support ext on /data)
3. Download the afterburner install files from here
4. Create a steam directory on your internal sdcard, and put the previously downloaded file there. If there are other afterburner*.zip files there, delete them.
5. Enter Steam Recovery (there are multiple ooptions on how you can get it), choose afterburner, select both options, then press "Install". This will take a while. You might want to switch to log window 1, where you can see the /system extraction progress
6. After finished, reboot. Gingerbread will boot up.
7. If asked to install Steam kernel you can do so, but first read note.
8. Enjoy. To switch back, flash any kernel. If you want your old data back, flash a kernel with ext4 support.
9. If you switched back to a "normal" kernel, you can use afterburner to get back to gingerbread too. Only select the second option when running afterburner, and on the next reboot, gingerbread will greet you in a state as you've never left it.

Note: A steam kernel installation requires you to reboot into recovery after installing it. On base Galaxy S ROMs this is done automatically, but gingerbread's kernel lacks the commands needed to programmatically reboot into recovery. Therefore it will always reboot into normal android mode, where he finds out that he needs to reboot into recovery, but boots into normal mode, etc... to exit this loop simply reboot into recovery manually (using the three button combo), to finish installation of Steam Kernel. You will be greeted with the afterburner window, press back without selecting any of the options (they won't work anyway), and you're done.

Alternate install: Of course you don't need afterburner to install this. Simply follow the instructions on supercurio's page, but use the kernel found inside afterburner.zip, instead of the one provided on the mentioned thread. /data needs to be converted to ext4 though.

Source:
Steam Kernel: https://github.com/SteamMOD (all directories starting with android_bootable_steam_ / tag 2.9.9.1)
Fixed kernel: https://github.com/SteamMOD/steam_kernel_ns_on_galaxys
Initramfs: https://github.com/SteamMOD/steam_initramfs_galaxys/tree/master/ns-on-sgs-i9000

You can compile it by yourselves using the Android Compiler VM 2.0 with the compiler scripts found here

Last edited:

DemonWav

Sep 11, 2010
Lawton, OK
Not exactly following you on how to install the Steam Kernel. Do I need to pull the battery at some point? If so, when? If not, what am I supposed to to do manually get it into recovery mode? No matter what I do I am always greeted with "Steam doesn't seem to be installed, or it was recently uninstalled." etc.

Reactions: Rawat

ozmulti

Sep 28, 2010
you are awesome. just awesome. :D

i have a vibrant. But i lurk here to keep an eye on development.

xenos126

Sep 21, 2010
Great very interesting indeed. May I know wats working and wats not? Thx and gd work!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Aanze

Sep 23, 2010
Paris
Hmmmm nothing happens when I choose "Install" in afterburner menu.. It seems to be instant. Just like it didn't found the install file.
I named the folder "steam" at the root and put the afterburner.zip into it though..

Edit: Okay I'm f***** stupid, didn't check the two options. It works now.. really sorry

Edit2: It seems like I'm stuck in steam recovery. Everytime I reboot I get this message : "Partition /res/.fake/gingerbread/cache could not be mounted!"
The "format partition to ext4" function doesn't seem to work as well. Same for the proposition of installing Steam kernel..
I had my /data partition formatted in ext4 via voodoo though.

So basically, whatever choice I make, it'll never boot... Do I have any other solution than a flash with odin to get something working ?

Last edited:

bigprengel

Aug 20, 2010
Yeah seems very nice. However I'm interested what's working and what not. Can please someone who already flasht this thing provide.me an answer?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to demonstrate the power of Steam, I hereby provide you a Steam Powered Gingerbread

This is based on SC's idea of using /data to store the gingerbread files, which works even if FSR is not loaded.

I also went forward and fixed the keyboard issue, so now the home, back and menu buttons work as expected! Oh, and also added recovery mode (running steam recovery of course :) ), that can be opened using the ususal three button combo. ("adb reboot recovery" or similar will not work however)

What still doesn't work:
    - Wifi
    - Modem (3g and phone)
    - Camera
    - Gps

Installation:
    1. Download the system dump from here, and put the file on the root of your internal SD card
    2. If not already on ext2 or ext4, convert your /data partition to ext4. (because the next step requires Steam Recovery, I'd go with Steam kernel, if your current one doesn't support ext on /data)
    3. Download the afterburner install files from here
    4. Create a steam directory on your internal sdcard, and put the previously downloaded file there. If there are other afterburner*.zip files there, delete them.
    5. Enter Steam Recovery (there are multiple ooptions on how you can get it), choose afterburner, select both options, then press "Install". This will take a while. You might want to switch to log window 1, where you can see the /system extraction progress
    6. After finished, reboot. Gingerbread will boot up.
    7. If asked to install Steam kernel you can do so, but first read note.
    8. Enjoy. To switch back, flash any kernel. If you want your old data back, flash a kernel with ext4 support.
    9. If you switched back to a "normal" kernel, you can use afterburner to get back to gingerbread too. Only select the second option when running afterburner, and on the next reboot, gingerbread will greet you in a state as you've never left it.

Note: A steam kernel installation requires you to reboot into recovery after installing it. On base Galaxy S ROMs this is done automatically, but gingerbread's kernel lacks the commands needed to programmatically reboot into recovery. Therefore it will always reboot into normal android mode, where he finds out that he needs to reboot into recovery, but boots into normal mode, etc... to exit this loop simply reboot into recovery manually (using the three button combo), to finish installation of Steam Kernel. You will be greeted with the afterburner window, press back without selecting any of the options (they won't work anyway), and you're done.

Alternate install: Of course you don't need afterburner to install this. Simply follow the instructions on supercurio's page, but use the kernel found inside afterburner.zip, instead of the one provided on the mentioned thread. /data needs to be converted to ext4 though.

Source:
    Steam Kernel: https://github.com/SteamMOD (all directories starting with android_bootable_steam_ / tag 2.9.9.1)
    Fixed kernel: https://github.com/SteamMOD/steam_kernel_ns_on_galaxys
    Initramfs: https://github.com/SteamMOD/steam_initramfs_galaxys/tree/master/ns-on-sgs-i9000

You can compile it by yourselves using the Android Compiler VM 2.0 with the compiler scripts found here
    Not exactly following you on how to install the Steam Kernel. Do I need to pull the battery at some point? If so, when? If not, what am I supposed to to do manually get it into recovery mode? No matter what I do I am always greeted with "Steam doesn't seem to be installed, or it was recently uninstalled." etc.
    Solved this by:
    - flashing Steam kernel using Odin
    - going to Steam features in steam recovery and choosing no rfs ext 4 conversion
    - install afterburning
    - reboot
    -> done :)

Still, this apn issue is very anoying.. Can't get any internet connection either 3g or wifi..

Please people, instead of asking what's working a thousand time, please keep reading the thread and let the users the ability to help each other by not flooding..
    Hi sztupy !

I see you forked everything, are you interested into team work with developers from other Galaxy S models & CyanogenMod or is it just a quick technological demo?

Lots of work going on, modem baseband, YAFFS usage, dynamic OneNAND repartitioning, support of every Galaxy S variant in a common Kernel, with also a goal to stay as compatible as possible with the Nexus S.

ps: I'm known as supercurio
    Does the usb debugging work? I already tried supercurio's version with no luck.
    If not does anyone knows an alternative to get to kernel log?

Thanks