Strange- My nexus died suddenly (any suggestions)

Search This thread

n1newbie

Oct 14, 2011
Tamil Nadu
Well here's my long story...
i was running QND MIUI for about 2 months, thought of checking ICS,
so i took nandroid and installed MIUI ICS (non blackrose version).
installation went fine and it booted up good. but i found it to be laggy and
so decided to restore my previous rom. so i switched off.(the problem started nw) :eek:
when i pressed on the power button it didnt boot. i tried pressing as hard as possible
but nothing happened. :mad:

Battery Swap
so i tried swapping batteries with my brother's nexus one. his phone booted but mine didn't
(so my battery is fine)

Battery Trick
i tried the battery trick, again my brother's phone booted but mine didnt
( so my power button should be fine)

i connect my phone to pc via usb charger. the orange led glows but its not detected by system.
when i charge using wall charger, again orange led glows and after some time it turns green
( so battery stats is read correctly)

My nexus is SLCD variant with unlocked bootloader
so is my nexus dead ? what could be the problem? is there any solution to bring it alive? or should i hand it over to htc service center ? :confused:
EDIT : have linked two videos of how i do battery trick
1- working in my bro's phone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O5adV-jj64
2- not working in mine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCyPIyGorFk
thanx

Last edited:

n1newbie

Oct 14, 2011
Tamil Nadu
oops. i thought of creating under GENERAL section. wrongly did it under Q&A section.
MODS pls move it to correct section. sry

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Aca902

Mar 4, 2011
Belgrade
Did you change the hboot partition layout? Try pressing vol down+trackball+power...hold for a few sec.

ShadowCodeGaming

Sep 17, 2011
Netherlands
HTC Desire
HTC Desire X
Well here's my long story...
i was running QND MIUI for about 2 months, thought of checking ICS,
so i took nandroid and installed MIUI ICS (non blackrose version).
installation went fine and it booted up good. but i found it to be laggy and
so decided to restore my previous rom. so i switched off.(the problem started nw) :eek:
when i pressed on the power button it didnt boot. i tried pressing as hard as possible
but nothing happened. :mad:

Battery Swap
so i tried swapping batteries with my brother's nexus one. his phone booted but mine didn't
(so my battery is fine)

Battery Trick
i tried the battery trick, again my brother's phone booted but mine didnt
( so my power button should be fine)

i connect my phone to pc via usb charger. the orange led glows but its not detected by system.
when i charge using wall charger, again orange led glows and after some time it turns green
( so battery stats is read correctly)

My nexus is SLCD variant with unlocked bootloader
so is my nexus dead ? what could be the problem? is there any solution to bring it alive? or should i hand it over to htc service center ? :confused:
thanx

Charge led glows= soft brick.
Maybe your power button just died?

ShadowCodeGaming

Sep 17, 2011
Netherlands
HTC Desire
HTC Desire X
i tried pressing hard enuf anf all also battery trick didnt work too. but the led glows fine. also when i connect to charger widout battery the alternative green and orange led glows. :confused:

I would suggest to PM a member called 'Theshawty'. Hes on my friends list. He knows everything, and also helped me unbrick stuff alot of times!

Reactions: n1newbie

Aca902

Mar 4, 2011
Belgrade
It happend to me... but i flashed a corrupted hboot. Also the charging led worked... i tried everything but it didnt work... then i got my hboot replaced. I hope you will have more luck...

n1newbie

Oct 14, 2011
Tamil Nadu
It happend to me... but i flashed a corrupted hboot. Also the charging led worked... i tried everything but it didnt work... then i got my hboot replaced. I hope you will have more luck...

but i am very sure that i didnt touch hboot at all. i was just trying out an ics rom with stock hboot.
also hw can i flash a hboot when my phone doesnt bootup :confused:
thanx

n1newbie

Oct 14, 2011
Tamil Nadu
1.will the charging led glow in a bricked phone?
2.can a bricked phone read the correct state of battery(changing from orange to green when i charge it for some time)
3.can a incident like mine happen all of a sudden by just flashing a rom?
4. i seldom use power button(very very very rarely),hw can it not work all of a sudden?
:confused:

Theshawty

Feb 13, 2011
1.will the charging led glow in a bricked phone?
2.can a bricked phone read the correct state of battery(changing from orange to green when i charge it for some time)
3.can a incident like mine happen all of a sudden by just flashing a rom?
4. i seldom use power button(very very very rarely),hw can it not work all of a sudden?
:confused:

If you tried to flash an ICS ROM on the stock hboot partition layout, I'd sau your phone cannot access the system and you cannot start the phone because of a broken power button.

The power button flex cable can stop working just like that even if you very rarely used the power button.

n1newbie

Oct 14, 2011
Tamil Nadu
If you tried to flash an ICS ROM on the stock hboot partition layout, I'd sau your phone cannot access the system and you cannot start the phone because of a broken power button.

The power button flex cable can stop working just like that even if you very rarely used the power button.
i flashed miui ics for stock hboot(non blackrose version) and it booted fine. i used it for 15 mins. jus when i turned off to enter into recovery the problem started...

Last edited:

reider123

May 16, 2012
Seoul
i flashed miui ics for stock hboot(non blackrose version) and it booted fine. i used it for 15 mins. jus when i turned off to enter into recovery the problem started...

I saw this brick on optimus1(korean version)
he said, when he switched battery, it bricked.
same brick, and he fixed by warranty.
wish good luck to you:)

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Try doing the battery trick to get into the bootloader (fastboot mode). I can't remember what the key press is on the Nexus One (maybe try the trackball, or maybe try vol up, or vol down). You need to hold down the correct button while doing the battery trick to get you into fastboot mode.

If that doesn't work, and your device cannot boot into the bootloader, I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done without repairing it.

reider123

May 16, 2012
Seoul
updated the OP to show video of how i do battery trick and still my phone not booting :eek:

It will charge whether your phone is bricked or not.
It will charge whether your phone is sinked or not.(not sinked battery)
I think your phone's dead, absolutely.
If it is brick, you'll boot into bootloader, of course.(or just first boot section)

G

GuestX0019

hi again n1newbie

responding off your pm as I stated

efrant is right, if you can't boot to bootloader--not good prospects

the keys are hold down pwr/vol-/tb at same time. it can take 2-30 seconds

also i don't remember if you said the pc recognizes phone when plugged

if so you could plug it in to pc and go to command shell and try adb reboot bootloader. hopefully you already have usb debugging checked on phone

i don't have my n1 anymore, so can't actually test anything

you could try to reformat and partition sd card out of phone--back up first--:)

did you ever check md5 before flashing miui

if you can get into bootloader you may want to reflash a recovery before proceeding and see what hboot you have--i forget the number for the stock one--

ken

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
[snip]

also i don't remember if you said the pc recognizes phone when plugged

if so you could plug it in to pc and go to command shell and try adb reboot bootloader. hopefully you already have usb debugging checked on phone
Unfortunately this will not work. ADB requires you to be either booted into Android or into recovery. You cannot issue ADB commands without either Android or recovery running.
you could try to reformat and partition sd card out of phone--back up first--:)
This will do nothing to help in the context of the OP's problem.

G

GuestX0019

Didn't think about not booted into Rom for adb

Can't hurt on reformatting--

But if the 3 finger boot doesn't work, no other ideas.

Sorry

n1newbie

Oct 14, 2011
Tamil Nadu
hi guys thanx a lot for ur response.
@rugmankc
1.no my pc doesnt recognise. so cannot use adb
2.so do i need to press that key combos while doing battery trick?
@efrant
1.can this happen all of a sudden just by flashing a rom, with stock hboot? (i didnt check md5 :( )
@reider123
1.so u mean to say that the charging led glows and reads the battery stats correctly irrespective of the phone being dead or alive???
ok guys ill try that key combo when doing batteru trick and update when i get home.
thanx a lot frnds

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i tried pressing hard enuf anf all also battery trick didnt work too. but the led glows fine. also when i connect to charger widout battery the alternative green and orange led glows. :confused:

I would suggest to PM a member called 'Theshawty'. Hes on my friends list. He knows everything, and also helped me unbrick stuff alot of times!
    Try doing the battery trick to get into the bootloader (fastboot mode). I can't remember what the key press is on the Nexus One (maybe try the trackball, or maybe try vol up, or vol down). You need to hold down the correct button while doing the battery trick to get you into fastboot mode.

If that doesn't work, and your device cannot boot into the bootloader, I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done without repairing it.
    updated the OP to show video of how i do battery trick and still my phone not booting :eek:

It will charge whether your phone is bricked or not.
    It will charge whether your phone is sinked or not.(not sinked battery)
    I think your phone's dead, absolutely.
    If it is brick, you'll boot into bootloader, of course.(or just first boot section)
    hmmm.nt sure hw to take care more than i did previously :confused:
    hey ken, efrant suggested some key combo while doing battery trick to enter bootloader.. wats that?
    might give a final try

Here's the thing: if your power button actually did break (which is quite common on the N1), then you need a way to start your device -- this is what your "battery trick" does. However, if your ROM is corrupted, then you would need to start in fastboot mode. As rugmakc pointed out, the key press is hold the trackball + vol down buttons, and then press and hold the power button to start your device. However, if your power button does not work, that combo will not work either -- you need to hold the vol down and trackball and do the battery trick to get it to power on.

If that doesn't work, then it needs to be sent in for repair, or recycled...

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

[snip]

@efrant
    1.can this happen all of a sudden just by flashing a rom, with stock hboot? (i didnt check md5 :( )

Flashing a ROM wouldn't cause that -- not necessary to check the hash, but always a good idea. Worse thing that would happen would be you would need to re-flash a ROM.

However, flashing a bootloader (i.e., an HBOOT), stock or otherwise, on an HTC device, always has the potential to brick it.
    Tried the battery trick just now and was able to get into fastboot PHEW!!!!! I removed the Runnymede AIO Rom and restored my 4.2.2 VJ backup. The Nexus One lives on!!!!

glad you got it up n runnin buddy :thumbup:
    as far as mine is concerned. it still had reboot issues even after servicing from china. seems like hardware/board problem. so i used its parts to run my other two n1s :D