WiFi Direct Android device (Note 10.1) + Windows 7 computer.

Search This thread

nasedo73

Aug 7, 2007
London (UK)
I was searching for a quite long time, but I haven't found any satisfying answer. I want to send files between any device with WiFi Direct and computer. What I'm expecting?

For example - if I have two Note 10.1 - I can send / receive files without any wireless network - just between those devices.

I want to be able to send files between tablet and computer without using any network, any router. I don't want those devices to be connected into the same network. I want to send those files directly from device to device.

If I will need special WiFi card - please give me some hint.

If my expectation haven't been clearly explained - I will try once more.

Reactions: keishiko

RTBee

Apr 12, 2011
In a Galaxy far, far away!
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you should check out 'WiFi File Explorer' in the Play Store. It sets up an IP address that you can access with any browser (Windows 7 computer or another tablet) and access your files. I do believe you have to have root, but I've used it with my GSIII and my computer and it works great for transfering files, managing files and deleting or renaming files/folders. fwiw

NVM, I just tried this with my note and you do have to be on a wireless network for this to work, sorry, not what you were looking for I guess. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: aamir123

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
WIDI has not been properly implemented yet in both android and hardware yet, some devices are certified but some are on older versions and there is no software out there yet to take advantage of it. (that I am aware of ).

Samsung have partially implemented it using allshare and allshare cast, neither will do what you want. I dont think this will be working properly until the Galaxy S4 or even 5.

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
i'm confused now, why would you want widi on a pc, surely you are always going to have a router to connect to and thus defeating the object.

nasedo73

Aug 7, 2007
London (UK)
i'm confused now, why would you want widi on a pc, surely you are always going to have a router to connect to and thus defeating the object.

Let's try imagine something. I have WiFi / Router in my house. But, not everywhere I have an access to WiFi network, and maybe someone don't want to give me an access to network, or I don't need this as it's not really necessary. Sometimes I could meet someone with computer and I would like to send something faster than via Bluetooth, faster than removing memory card and trying to put into someone's computer. Will you notice how complicated it could be?

Now I have decided to buy device with WiFi Direct and I would like to use it with different devices. I don't want to use WiFi / Wireless netowrks / using router, because I could do this years ago.

Reactions: keishiko

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
Let's try imagine something. I have WiFi / Router in my house. But, not everywhere I have an access to WiFi network, and maybe someone don't want to give me an access to network, or I don't need this as it's not really necessary. Sometimes I could meet someone with computer and I would like to send something faster than via Bluetooth, faster than removing memory card and trying to put into someone's computer. Will you notice how complicated it could be?

Now I have decided to buy device with WiFi Direct and I would like to use it with different devices. I don't want to use WiFi / Wireless netowrks / using router, because I could do this years ago.

If you want to send files from device (a) to Device (b), either both need to be WIDI compatible or both need to be connected to the same wifi network, I cant see your problem really, this isn't rocket science mate.

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
It's not exactly what I meant. I would like to know, if is there any possibility using WiFi Direct connect android device (with WiFi Direct Support) and Windows PC. If it's possible - what are the requirements?

From what you described it's exactly what you said, using wifip2p to transfer files between 2 adhoc devices.
The libraries do just that on the android side of things,

If you want something else then I'm sorry but you need to be a bit clearer.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

stefu974

Dec 26, 2012
From what you described it's exactly what you said, using wifip2p to transfer files between 2 adhoc devices.

Hi I actually struggle to explore Wifi direct between my note 10.1 (JB), to an Asus laptop.
I installed the Intel Mywifi dashboard 15.1.1s64 (a version accepted by the latest Intel wifi driver Wireless_15.1.1_s64).
It can install it only if our chipset accept it : intel centrino range.
have a look over the downloadcenter.intel.com

As for me, I can "see" my devices, and I can use my laptop as a hotspot (fine !) just as connecitfy does, but Sharing files is impossible.
I should have an icon ...but nothing !
I have changed my firewall settings, but NO way.
It seems it's a problem of security settings, for sometimes it has displayed a kind of message : 'sharing impossible, ...'.

If anyone has a clue !

NB: WIFI DIrect works fine betwwen 2 samsung devices for long (2 years; they were the first) when my Asus transformer TF101 is still stucked in a Widi native, not working in ad-hoc. I tried with REceive wifi app, or other wifi direct apps..
Stay in touch !

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
Hi I actually struggle to explore Wifi direct between my note 10.1 (JB), to an Asus laptop.
I installed the Intel Mywifi dashboard 15.1.1s64 (a version accepted by the latest Intel wifi driver Wireless_15.1.1_s64).
It can install it only if our chipset accept it : intel centrino range.
have a look over the downloadcenter.intel.com

As for me, I can "see" my devices, and I can use my laptop as a hotspot (fine !) just as connecitfy does, but Sharing files is impossible.
I should have an icon ...but nothing !
I have changed my firewall settings, but NO way.
It seems it's a problem of security settings, for sometimes it has displayed a kind of message : 'sharing impossible, ...'.

If anyone has a clue !

NB: WIFI DIrect works fine betwwen 2 samsung devices for long (2 years; they were the first) when my Asus transformer TF101 is still stucked in a Widi native, not working in ad-hoc. I tried with REceive wifi app, or other wifi direct apps..
Stay in touch !

it sounds to me like you are trying to create a network using widi, I don't think this is actually possible yet. I was under the impression you could only push files from one device to another, i.e there will be an option when you click send to send via WIDI in the same way you would by bluetooth.

stefu974

Dec 26, 2012
intel Mywifi / android 4.1

it sounds to me like you are trying to create a network using widi, I don't think this is actually possible yet. I was under the impression you could only push files from one device to another, i.e there will be an option when you click send to send via WIDI in the same way you would by bluetooth.

HI.
Actually, In fact, I found that to work proprelly, the intel myWifi needs to be created as local network, with special features, security and many things to do. I just begun to explore this morning...but it's not just a 'plug and play' widget ! not as easy as Android does the Ad-hoc would do !

I'll try latter, let people know if I can manage it.

spaceda

Jan 20, 2013
you can use wifi direct and adhoc on one soluution from intel.
it is baed on intel's wifi cards - more ifo here:http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/imwd/sb/CS-033754.htm?wapkw=wifi+direct

you need to instal itnels wifi managemen sw + wifi dashboard. if not you wont be able to use wifi direct.

it is working as adhoc really nice but I was not able to send wifi direct any files even it did connect properrly. looks like kind of bug
using gsg2 with neatrom

saregister

Feb 10, 2013
Wifi Direct != WiDi

It's driving me nuts with all the talk of WiDi on here...Wifi Direct is completely different than WiDi. WiDi is Wireless Display. (just search for WIDI, and read up on it please)

I only found this forum because I was actually looking for how to connect my computer and phone using the WiFi Direct function on my phone. It seems like it should just be as easy as making the two devices see each other. I have the Note 2, and a Win7/64 laptop. They are both running on my 5Ghz network, which from my understanding shouldn't matter since they should be setting up an ad-hoc network between the two.

So far I've tried to create an ad-hoc network on my computer, but my phone won't see it. I've tried just scanning from the Note by just opening the wifi direct app and letting it search and by trying to find the new AD-Hoc connection on my PC. I've tried finding my phone on my network with my PC, but it won't connect the two. Just show me there are devices there on the network. I really wish Samsung would jump out in front of this one and give some more directions on how to use this feature they are pushing.

Reactions: malih16

jedi134

Aug 27, 2007
I think I know what you mean.

WiFi direct will give you a different ip address separate from ur normal WiFi router. Try setting up your Windows pc WiFi to the same ip range and subnet....you can find the ip address by long clicking on the WiFi connection in settings while its connected to the other device, or use an app called fring, and scan the connected network for the ip addy.

My Samsung tv calls WiFi direct SML (samsung media link)

The link password protected using wps.

Wps is hackable I belive, so in theory u should be able to get the WiFi direct password...

My Samsung tv wifidirect/SML calls its signal sec link xxxx, I can connect to this with my GN..but cant do anything else.

My thoughts are Samsung are purposly restricting the full potentional of this untill a later date,....every thing Seems to be there for it to work, but they are not ready to free it up.

They make money so far from you buying add on devices like allcast dongle. Which should not be needed as you have wifidirect/SML.

No doubt this will be a great selling point on the new Samsung ranges

Last edited:

siddugp

Feb 7, 2013

how do i connect the wi-fi direct supporting windows 8 tablet to wi-fi direct supporting android device via wi-fi direct?

Last edited:

stefu974

Dec 26, 2012
next...

hi..

Now I've get my nexus 4 phone... I'tried to connect it to my Pc using My Wifi Dashboard..and it may have worked...
Yes it connects.. but impossible to send files fromboth sides.
As my nexus4 to GT Note...nothing. It connects sometimes, but any apk I tried did worked ! Wifi direct. I tried 6 .apk, and only WIFI SHOOT worked..; But it s cheating, for it uses the same local network. SO it's not REAL Wifi Direct as intended.

And NFC beam that could be similar...uses Bluetooth ! not wifi direct..

Wi Fi direct is not mature . Only if you have Samsung phones / tablets !! absolutely prefect and fast. Good job Samsung..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems that people are confused between "Wi-fi Direct" and "through-your-home-network" file transfers.

In Wi-fi Direct, it is simply 2 devices alone.

In "through-your-home-network", it is 2 devices and a wifi router.

Apps for Wi-Fi Direct would be HitcherNet, SuperBeam etc.

Apps for "through-your-home-network" would be Airdroid, Wifi File Transfer etc.

I am looking for a Wi-Fi Direct way to transfer big files fast between Windows laptops and Android devices!
    I was searching for a quite long time, but I haven't found any satisfying answer. I want to send files between any device with WiFi Direct and computer. What I'm expecting?

For example - if I have two Note 10.1 - I can send / receive files without any wireless network - just between those devices.

I want to be able to send files between tablet and computer without using any network, any router. I don't want those devices to be connected into the same network. I want to send those files directly from device to device.

If I will need special WiFi card - please give me some hint.

If my expectation haven't been clearly explained - I will try once more.
    I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you should check out 'WiFi File Explorer' in the Play Store. It sets up an IP address that you can access with any browser (Windows 7 computer or another tablet) and access your files. I do believe you have to have root, but I've used it with my GSIII and my computer and it works great for transfering files, managing files and deleting or renaming files/folders. fwiw

NVM, I just tried this with my note and you do have to be on a wireless network for this to work, sorry, not what you were looking for I guess. :(
    Another app for FAST wifi-direct transfers: ShareIt. Available for Windows, Android & iOS