HTC T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Take Apart Repair Guide

Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
This take apart repair guide will walk you through the steps of disassembling your MyTouch 4G. This guide aimed the LCD and touchscreen digitizer replacement, but other internal parts may be repaired and replaced too. This guide is a step by step format and can be followed for a quick and safe repair.

This guide will help your replace the following parts on your HTC MyTouch 4G:
  • HTC MyTouch 4G Touch Screen Digitizer Glass Replacement
  • HTC MyTouch 4G LCD Screen Replacement

Tools:
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Heat Gun / Hairdryer (optional)

HTC MyTouch 4G Screen Repair Guide:
  • The first step is to remove the back battery cover, the battery, sim card, and memory card. Now remove the two torx 5 screws from the back housing and the small phillips screw located below the sim card holder. You can now use a safe pry tool to release the clips from the outside edges of the frame and remove it.
  • The next step will be to remove the four torx 5 screws surrounding the outside of the back housing. Remove the bottom cover using a safe pry tool. Release the 3 button flex cables, gently use a flat head screwdriver or a safe pry tool. Use a safe pry tool to release the clips on the outside of the back housing. Remove the back housing (frame).

MyTouch4G-1.jpg

Figure 1​
  • Release the power button flex cable using a flat head screwdriver or similar. Use a safe pry tool to release the two pop connectors on the motherboard. Now you can release the vibrate motor and slowly ease the motherboard out, releasing the clips with a safe open pry tool. Be aware that there will still be one flex cable connected to the motherboard underneath it. Lift on the side of the alligator (jaw) clip to release the cable and carefully remove it. The motherboard is now out, and can be put back to the side.

MyTouch4G-2.jpg

Figure 2​
  • Using a heat gun or hair dryer, warm the adhesive under the front of the screen. Use a safe pry tool and lift the front touch screen digitizer and place it above the phone, careful as it is still held in by a flex cable. Heat the back of the LCD screen to loosen the adhesive. Remove the LCD screen from the front of the phone. Ease the touch screen flex cable through the frame. You are now able to replace either the LCD screen or the touch screen glass digitizer.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.

Kevinthebox

Oct 6, 2010
Los Angeles, Cali
Yes, it is a very good guide! :) Although, you should add that people who have sent in their phones to HTC to replace their faulty power buttons be wary when removing the back casing.

This was the case for me, as I didn't notice that the power button "fix" was actually a little piece of electrical film that "reconnects" the connection of the power button. I was unaware of this, and subsequently lost it and now I have a good screen, but no power button and no more warranty lol.

Just thought I should give a heads up to those that wanna open their phone if they have "fixed" their faulty power buttons through HTC :]

Reactions: estallings15

jjbadd385

Jul 10, 2011
Laurens S.C.
I have a spare mt4g with a faulty power button, it won't work AT ALL. I used to have to seperate the plastic case from the chrome bezel at the corner of the phone where the power button is located, & touch the spot on the flex ribbon with a piece of foil to get it to power on. But I was happy when I rooted, s-off, engineering bootloader, then flashed CWM 5.8.1.0, because now when I plug the handset in to the charger, it powers up in recovery mode automatically. I don't know if it is supposed to, but I am just tickled to death that it does! I can now consider selling the one that I use daily since everything works on it.
**EDIT** I just checked this one that has 4ext recovery and it don't power up when I plug it in. So if that's a feature that CWM recovery has, its almost worth switching to CWM on this one..ALMOST! I think 4ext is more stable, and just better over all.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

Last edited:

thomas.owns

Apr 22, 2011
Yes, it is a very good guide! :) Although, you should add that people who have sent in their phones to HTC to replace their faulty power buttons be wary when removing the back casing.

This was the case for me, as I didn't notice that the power button "fix" was actually a little piece of electrical film that "reconnects" the connection of the power button. I was unaware of this, and subsequently lost it and now I have a good screen, but no power button and no more warranty lol.

Just thought I should give a heads up to those that wanna open their phone if they have "fixed" their faulty power buttons through HTC :]

How do you power the phone on without the power button now?

Jan 25, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Question ... would replacing the digitizer and the LCD fix a screen that was shorted because some smart person decided it was a good idea to turn the phone on after a dunk in the ocean? The motherboard is fine because I replaced the battery and the phone boots, but the screen remains off. I know it boots because it flashes the button leds and the phone vibrates. Would you recommend an attempt?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Question ... would replacing the digitizer and the LCD fix a screen that was shorted because some smart person decided it was a good idea to turn the phone on after a dunk in the ocean? The motherboard is fine because I replaced the battery and the phone boots, but the screen remains off. I know it boots because it flashes the button leds and the phone vibrates. Would you recommend an attempt?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA

With water damage its always hard to say for sure what is damaged. If you are correct and the motherboard is fine and only the screen is damaged then replacing the screen will fix your issue. It does sound by what you describe that this is the case but with liquid its impossible to say for sure without checking more closely / testing.

roystarr

Feb 6, 2011
Thanks

Thanks for this. I am just reviving my glacier that my wife dropped and broke the digitizer screen. They have come way down in price since I had lasted looked at it. Can't wait until it shows up in the mail so I can stop tearing up my fingers on the shattered glass!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This take apart repair guide will walk you through the steps of disassembling your MyTouch 4G. This guide aimed the LCD and touchscreen digitizer replacement, but other internal parts may be repaired and replaced too. This guide is a step by step format and can be followed for a quick and safe repair.

This guide will help your replace the following parts on your HTC MyTouch 4G:
    • HTC MyTouch 4G Touch Screen Digitizer Glass Replacement
    • HTC MyTouch 4G LCD Screen Replacement

Tools:
    • T5 Torx Screwdriver
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • Safe Open Pry Tool
    • Heat Gun / Hairdryer (optional)

HTC MyTouch 4G Screen Repair Guide:
    • The first step is to remove the back battery cover, the battery, sim card, and memory card. Now remove the two torx 5 screws from the back housing and the small phillips screw located below the sim card holder. You can now use a safe pry tool to release the clips from the outside edges of the frame and remove it.
    • The next step will be to remove the four torx 5 screws surrounding the outside of the back housing. Remove the bottom cover using a safe pry tool. Release the 3 button flex cables, gently use a flat head screwdriver or a safe pry tool. Use a safe pry tool to release the clips on the outside of the back housing. Remove the back housing (frame).

MyTouch4G-1.jpg

Figure 1​
    • Release the power button flex cable using a flat head screwdriver or similar. Use a safe pry tool to release the two pop connectors on the motherboard. Now you can release the vibrate motor and slowly ease the motherboard out, releasing the clips with a safe open pry tool. Be aware that there will still be one flex cable connected to the motherboard underneath it. Lift on the side of the alligator (jaw) clip to release the cable and carefully remove it. The motherboard is now out, and can be put back to the side.

MyTouch4G-2.jpg

Figure 2​
    • Using a heat gun or hair dryer, warm the adhesive under the front of the screen. Use a safe pry tool and lift the front touch screen digitizer and place it above the phone, careful as it is still held in by a flex cable. Heat the back of the LCD screen to loosen the adhesive. Remove the LCD screen from the front of the phone. Ease the touch screen flex cable through the frame. You are now able to replace either the LCD screen or the touch screen glass digitizer.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.
    Thanks for the support guys!

Glad you found it useful!