[Q] Venom Rom Verizon M8 Debloat

Search This thread

Hyperboost

Apr 15, 2014
I wondering if it's possible to install the Venom Rom without installing the Verizon variant bloatware and Verizon sim checker. I'm currently using the M8 Overseas (GUAM) and GSM runs fine and I'm about to add on LTE Unlimited Data, so the Verizon apps are useless to me.

So If I Super CID will the rom still know my default is Verizon? What would be the best solution? Also since I cannot do OTA updates for Verizon how would I update my firmware? Manual Flash?

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
I wondering if it's possible to install the Venom Rom without installing the Verizon variant bloatware and Verizon sim checker.

If you can install the Venom ROM that means you're rooted with S = OFF so you can remove anything you feel is bloatware with no problems, it doesn't matter what ROM you're on.

Also since I cannot do OTA updates for Verizon how would I update my firmware? Manual Flash?

If you do update the firmware or accept an OTA I'm sure it will unroot your phone, lock the bootloader and turn S = ON and knowing VZW they may succeed in locking it down so it can't every be unlocked again, they managed this with Samsung phones so the question is, WHY would you EVER want to update your firmware?

Any new features that come with updates will be included in custom ROMs by the developers so you won't be missing anything.

droidkevlar

Mar 27, 2010
If you can install the Venom ROM that means you're rooted with S = OFF so you can remove anything you feel is bloatware with no problems, it doesn't matter what ROM you're on.

If you do update the firmware or accept an OTA I'm sure it will unroot your phone, lock the bootloader and turn S = ON and knowing VZW they may succeed in locking it down so it can't every be unlocked again, they managed this with Samsung phones so the question is, WHY would you EVER want to update your firmware?

Any new features that come with updates will be included in custom ROMs by the developers so you won't be missing anything.

Im 99.9999% sure applying an update wouldnt go through since you are S-Off and even if it did, it wouldnt remove S-Off. Only way to return to S-On is by flashing RUU, which isnt even out yet.

Hyperboost

Apr 15, 2014
I'm not sure the OP is rooted with S = Off, I may have misread his post.

Thanks for the replies! I am S-Off, I must of misunderstood the Venom Rom 1.2.0 Update it said OTA Carrier Support. I guess that has something to do with the apps. I'm not to sure where to start in removing the Verizon Sim checker thing and Verizon apps... I was just hoping that I can do another Rom Flash that would get rid of the bloatware.

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Thanks for the replies! I am S-Off, I must of misunderstood the Venom Rom 1.2.0 Update it said OTA Carrier Support. I guess that has something to do with the apps. I'm not to sure where to start in removing the Verizon Sim checker thing and Verizon apps... I was just hoping that I can do another Rom Flash that would get rid of the bloatware.

Go into the .zip of the ROM and remove the files you don't want.
Or,
install root explorer, and delete the said files from system/app + system/priv-app

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
I must of misunderstood the Venom Rom 1.2.0 Update it said OTA Carrier Support

That means that Team Venom provides updates for their ROM OTA, not Verizon updates.

I was just hoping that I can do another Rom Flash that would get rid of the bloatware.

Just uninstall anything you don't want, there are several threads about which apps can be removed. NOTE: AFAIK all the Verizon apps can be removed with no problems.

Reactions: Hyperboost

Hyperboost

Apr 15, 2014
That means that Team Venom provides updates for their ROM OTA, not Verizon updates.

Just uninstall anything you don't want, there are several threads about which apps can be removed. NOTE: AFAIK all the Verizon apps can be removed with no problems.

Thanks again! I'm starting to see things more clearly. I'll try to un-install the Verizon Apps. Found another issue with Venom ROM OTA System update under settingssystem update The Check now is Grayed out and states "Software update only work in CDMA Mode" When I switch to CDMA and try to use my WIFI to update it says download unsuccessful. Guess I just have to download the updates and just manually install it.

elevatorguy

Jun 23, 2010
Northern VA
That doesn't help to much the page the link sends me to is talking about not working on T-Mobile

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

WorldOfJohnboy

Mar 23, 2011
Syracuse

ViperOne uses Aroma installer when you first install the "base" ROM... there are options along the way before the ROM flashes where you can selectively choose not to install certain Apps that are considered bloat (though I don't recall if the apps you don't want are listed). Worst case, you can use a file explorer (as others have posted), or even an App like Titanium Backup would allow you to Freeze/Uninstall anything you don't want. Sometimes, people have created simple scripts that send ADB commands to delete bloat... not sure if anyone has for the M8 though.

As far as "OTA," if you don't have stock recovery, you could try to install the VZW OTA updates, but it won't take as it only will flash using stock recovery (if my memory serves me well). Team Venom is one of the few ROM development teams that have their own OTA updates, but it has nothing to do with Verizon's OTA updates. With the M7 Verizon, I had to flash my OTA files via Recovery as I don't think Team Venom was able to get the Settings>About>Software Update to work. I was told that the OTA works on the M8 with Verizon phones, though I haven't tried it yet.

If Verizon releases an OTA that updates Radios or Firmware, it's best to wait for someone to release a flashable version for those that are S-off/rooted. I don't believe that any of the major carriers have released an OTA update with the phone being so new anyway.

Reactions: Hyperboost

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I must of misunderstood the Venom Rom 1.2.0 Update it said OTA Carrier Support

I was just hoping that I can do another Rom Flash that would get rid of the bloatware.

ViperOne uses Aroma installer when you first install the "base" ROM... there are options along the way before the ROM flashes where you can selectively choose not to install certain Apps that are considered bloat (though I don't recall if the apps you don't want are listed). Worst case, you can use a file explorer (as others have posted), or even an App like Titanium Backup would allow you to Freeze/Uninstall anything you don't want. Sometimes, people have created simple scripts that send ADB commands to delete bloat... not sure if anyone has for the M8 though.

As far as "OTA," if you don't have stock recovery, you could try to install the VZW OTA updates, but it won't take as it only will flash using stock recovery (if my memory serves me well). Team Venom is one of the few ROM development teams that have their own OTA updates, but it has nothing to do with Verizon's OTA updates. With the M7 Verizon, I had to flash my OTA files via Recovery as I don't think Team Venom was able to get the Settings>About>Software Update to work. I was told that the OTA works on the M8 with Verizon phones, though I haven't tried it yet.

If Verizon releases an OTA that updates Radios or Firmware, it's best to wait for someone to release a flashable version for those that are S-off/rooted. I don't believe that any of the major carriers have released an OTA update with the phone being so new anyway.