Ubuntu Touch (Latest)

Search This thread

ModestMouse1312

Apr 5, 2013
Ellenboro
Hello everyone,

I've managed to make a build that boots with the latest versions of ubuntu touch and I wanted to share it with you because I've also been following this thread eager to install ubuntu touch on my phone, although the method to install still might be complicated for some at the moment.

So first off you need to be using Linux, as I don't think project rootstock works on Windows

To install it you must follow the instructions I found here which are, in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install android-tools-fsutils qemu-user-static bzr
android-tools-adb
bzr branch lp:project-rootstock-ng
cd project-rootstock-ng

then to get the rootfs with the mir fixes

./rootstock-touch -p pps:rsalveti/ppa
which takes a little while or you can download the tar.gz from here
but once the screen turns off it takes a while or a reboot to get it back on

Once that part is finished download all the files at the end of the post and put them in the project-roostock-ng directory to make things easier

then in the same terminal with your device connected to bootloader:
sudo fastboot flash boot ./boot.img
sudo fastboot flash recovery ./recovery.img

Reboot your device to recovery and do a full wipe, once that's done, with your device still connected to usb, in the same terminal type:

./rootsotck-touch-installer ./out-XXXXXXXX/ubuntu-touch.rootfs-armhf.tar.gz ./system.img
your device should reboot on its own, once you get to the black screen type:
adb shell
mount /dev/loop0 -o remount,rw
exit
adb push 70-m7ul.rules /usr/lib/lxc-android-config
adb push m7ul.conf /etc/ubuntu-touch-session.d
adb reboot

and your device should load the ubuntu lockscreen

Here are the files for m7ul:
system.img
boot.img
recovery.img
70-m7ul.rules
m7ul.conf

for m7spr (not tested):
boot.img
recovery.img
system.img
and download the 70-m7ul.rules and m7ul.conf but replace m7ul with m7spr

What works:
UI
camera
auto-rotation
Wifi (tested only on at&t version)
Audio (I've managed to get audio to work if the headphones are plugged in but not all the way, you really gotta find the sweet spot so it's not really useable yet but it's still progress.)

What doesn't work:
GSM
etc

it should run more smooth and the phone should get less hot

Backup file - http://www.mediafire.com/download/2xnfez828442k3l/2014-06-17--17-26-37.zip

I also found a way to have the same kind of dual boot setup canonical made for the nexus 4 by flashing the boot.img (the newer one can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/download/i9kmmwvc3gmb0kb/boot.img) on the recovery partition and keeping the internal rom's boot on the boot partition, so in theory if you flash a rom without wiping after flashing the backup and you flash the boot.img I provided on the recovery partition it should also work and then to get ubuntu you reboot in recovery and to get android you just boot normally, the problem is you lose your recovery temporarily and you have to reflash it if you want to use it until canonical finds a different way or I manage to get it to work with multirom.

Last edited:

sab3r

Mar 10, 2011
Great JOB! :) Thank You very much lots of people are waiting for working ubuntu touch rom and this is another big step forward!

ModestMouse1312

Apr 5, 2013
Ellenboro
i have at&t too and it works pretty well for me. I was playing with some settings and suddenly wifi networks popped up and got connected. I then tested if the internet is working by using both facebook and browser. It is working pretty fine for me. Will post screenshots if needed

my backup wont show up in twrp? any help? lol (nevermind didnt copy to the right place xD)

Last edited:
Reactions: jackfrost4u

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I've managed to make a build that boots with the latest versions of ubuntu touch and I wanted to share it with you because I've also been following this thread eager to install ubuntu touch on my phone, although the method to install still might be complicated for some at the moment.

So first off you need to be using Linux, as I don't think project rootstock works on Windows

To install it you must follow the instructions I found here which are, in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install android-tools-fsutils qemu-user-static bzr
    android-tools-adb
    bzr branch lp:project-rootstock-ng
    cd project-rootstock-ng

then to get the rootfs with the mir fixes

./rootstock-touch -p pps:rsalveti/ppa
    which takes a little while or you can download the tar.gz from here
    but once the screen turns off it takes a while or a reboot to get it back on

Once that part is finished download all the files at the end of the post and put them in the project-roostock-ng directory to make things easier

then in the same terminal with your device connected to bootloader:
    sudo fastboot flash boot ./boot.img
    sudo fastboot flash recovery ./recovery.img

Reboot your device to recovery and do a full wipe, once that's done, with your device still connected to usb, in the same terminal type:

./rootsotck-touch-installer ./out-XXXXXXXX/ubuntu-touch.rootfs-armhf.tar.gz ./system.img
    your device should reboot on its own, once you get to the black screen type:
    adb shell
    mount /dev/loop0 -o remount,rw
    exit
    adb push 70-m7ul.rules /usr/lib/lxc-android-config
    adb push m7ul.conf /etc/ubuntu-touch-session.d
    adb reboot

and your device should load the ubuntu lockscreen

Here are the files for m7ul:
    system.img
    boot.img
    recovery.img
    70-m7ul.rules
    m7ul.conf

for m7spr (not tested):
    boot.img
    recovery.img
    system.img
    and download the 70-m7ul.rules and m7ul.conf but replace m7ul with m7spr

What works:
    UI
    camera
    auto-rotation
    Wifi (tested only on at&t version)
    Audio (I've managed to get audio to work if the headphones are plugged in but not all the way, you really gotta find the sweet spot so it's not really useable yet but it's still progress.)

What doesn't work:
    GSM
    etc

it should run more smooth and the phone should get less hot

Backup file - http://www.mediafire.com/download/2xnfez828442k3l/2014-06-17--17-26-37.zip

I also found a way to have the same kind of dual boot setup canonical made for the nexus 4 by flashing the boot.img (the newer one can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/download/i9kmmwvc3gmb0kb/boot.img) on the recovery partition and keeping the internal rom's boot on the boot partition, so in theory if you flash a rom without wiping after flashing the backup and you flash the boot.img I provided on the recovery partition it should also work and then to get ubuntu you reboot in recovery and to get android you just boot normally, the problem is you lose your recovery temporarily and you have to reflash it if you want to use it until canonical finds a different way or I manage to get it to work with multirom.
    New build! Check it out :)
    i no longer have this phone or i would continue work, if anyone else wanted to pick this up they sure can!

Hi, since I just got a new phone (Nexus 5X), I'm really interested to continue the effort on bringing ubuntu-touch to my old phone (HTC One m7)
    Is there a source code or any kind of previous work you can share with me?
    when I try to execute this command "./rootstock-touch -p pps:rsalveti/ppa" I get this error. please help me with this

you need to install the debootstrap utility , I guess a sudo apt-get install debootstrap will do it