friend accepted sprints new OTA. Phone wont boot past TWRP

Search This thread

schollianmj

Feb 27, 2009
So, I rooted my coworkers Sprint G2 or LG LS980 using IoRoot a month ago and had TWRP installed on it. prior to doing this I had looked into what it would take to revert it to factory unrooted unmolested state. didnt seem to hard with the lgFlash tool and what not....

Well two days ago he accepted and tried to install the new OTA. he was on ZVA firmware, and I believe the new OTA was for 4.4... well the install of the OTA failed im pretty sure do to TWRP being installed instead of stock recovery. instead of stopping there and calling me he tried to fix it himself... I believe one of the things he did was to wipe the device. as in advanced wipe, select EVERYTING including system....

He gave it to me today rather pissed and asked me to fix it.

Ok, I have bee through MANY threads about reverting back to stock, and it seems I am having a serious driver issue... In my laptops device manager I can see the LS980, but it has no driver installed. I have downloaded many different versions of the LG drivers from various tutorials here and on other websites. I even tried to find them on LG.com, but no luck there.

I can get it into download mode, holding vol+ and plug in USB, but once I try to connect to it via LGMobile Support tool or LGFlash tool, they do not detect it. it tries to load three different modems, and the center one always fails. is there anyplace I can get JUST the driver, not the entire self extracting EXE files?

I was just going to copy a ROM onto the internal storage, but even using the mount tab in TWRP it will not connect to my computer.

PLease for the love of all that is sacred to XDA help me!!! I sadly do not know much about ADB... I have never really used it. at this time it is not installed and I wouldnt know what to install and how to ADB Push a rom onto the phone...

Edit, here is ONE of the tutorials I tried, but since I cannot get the proper drivers installed this hangs when I click the yellow arrow to start it....

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
So, I rooted my coworkers Sprint G2 or LG LS980 using IoRoot a month ago and had TWRP installed on it. prior to doing this I had looked into what it would take to revert it to factory unrooted unmolested state. didnt seem to hard with the lgFlash tool and what not....

Well two days ago he accepted and tried to install the new OTA. he was on ZVA firmware, and I believe the new OTA was for 4.4... well the install of the OTA failed im pretty sure do to TWRP being installed instead of stock recovery. instead of stopping there and calling me he tried to fix it himself... I believe one of the things he did was to wipe the device. as in advanced wipe, select EVERYTING including system....

Ok, I have bee through MANY threads about reverting back to stock, and it seems I am having a serious driver issue... In my laptops device manager I can see the LS980, but it has no driver installed. I have downloaded many different versions of the LG drivers from various tutorials here and on other websites. I even tried to find them on LG.com, but no luck there.

I can get it into download mode, holding vol+ and plug in USB, but once I try to connect to it via LGMobile Support tool or LGFlash tool, they do not detect it. it tries to load three different modems, and the center one always fails. is there anyplace I can get JUST the driver, not the entire self extracting EXE files?

I was just going to copy a ROM onto the internal storage, but even using the mount tab in TWRP it will not connect to my computer.

PLease for the love of all that is sacred to XDA help me!!! I sadly do not know much about ADB... I have never really used it. at this time it is not installed and I wouldnt know what to install and how to ADB Push a rom onto the phone...

Edit, here is ONE of the tutorials I tried, but since I cannot get the proper drivers installed this hangs when I click the yellow arrow to start it....

okay so have you tried the following from this thread-
If you DONT have ADB access (because of an early build of TWRP), you can simply use TWRP's awesome "terminal command" option to run the following:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
You'll have to type that whole thing out, and be VERY careful with spaces and punctuation. One wrong letter and you could nuke your phone.

Reactions: schollianmj

schollianmj

Feb 27, 2009
If you DONT have ADB access (because of an early build of TWRP), you can simply use TWRP's awesome "terminal command" option to run the following:
Code:
You'll have to type that whole thing out, and be VERY car
eful with spaces and punctuation. One wrong letter and you could nuke your phone.

Ok, I think its TWRP 6.1.3.3? Maybe 6.2.3.3... not sure. Phone isn't in front of me this second. As to the terminal command... do I type the word code first? Or is it just there as part of your sentance, type this terminal code..... yea, I'm a retard sometimes. Thanks for your help.

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Ok, I think its TWRP 6.1.3.3? Maybe 6.2.3.3... not sure. Phone isn't in front of me this second. As to the terminal command... do I type the word code first? Or is it just there as part of your sentance, type this terminal code..... yea, I'm a retard sometimes. Thanks for your help.

I think you mean 2.6.3.3 but how knows maybe your from the future

I think it's just the dd... and there is another command over in the thread that ends in misc you can search it up(some people have needed to use the both, while others just the one)

Sent from my LG-D800 running stock kk, rooted with philz using XDA app

schollianmj

Feb 27, 2009
Can you still get to download mode. If so follow
And then root with ioroot25.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yea, I have been trying that method... my issue now seems to be that one of the drivers is not installing correctly. So I cannot change the device to port 41. And the app will not see my phone. When I get off work tonight and can use my laptop again I will try downloading advanced and setting that up and see if I can make it work that way. I also read the other thread that was linked last night looking for the two terminal commands to try, both the fota, and the miscellaneous command... found the commands, typed them in, and now my phone boots to the LG logo and my notification light starts scrolling through different colors. I can still get to both recovery and download mode though, so I am not giving up.

Also in that thread someone mentioned koush's generic adb drivers... I downloaded those and will try that as well.

Basically if I can just get my darn laptop to connect to this phone I think I might still have a shot at reviving it.

schollianmj

Feb 27, 2009
Well it was running fine until he tapped accept on the ota so I dont know how he would have gotten the wrong kernel.... I have uninstalled the drivers a few times and reinstalled different versions. There is always one that fails when I plug in the phone. Plus I get a message on the device about mediadata unknown, or not found.... something like that. I know before he called me he tried the wipe option in twrp. I know on my galaxy s4 we were not to use the wipe data command in there, I'm thinking he did...

But I can still get to download mode so if I can get my laptop to recognise it I have faith I can lgflash tool it back to life... if I can get the drivers to cooperate...

schollianmj

Feb 27, 2009
Quick update on this... I found a tutorial on using adb and managed to sideload a rom, derp milestone 1 I believe it was, and after it completed the phone booted up just fine. My friend wanted it to be reverted back to its stock unrooted state, so I tried LG mobile something or other on my laptop... you all know, the one where you hit options then upgrade recovery and it should download and flash stick software? Well it saw the phone, and said there was no upgradeable software on it... mind you the phone still has a working twrp 2.6.3.3 on it... I don't know... I tried LG flash tool, but i can't get it to be port 41 for that to work... but at least the phone boots and runs fine now.

Still having my driver issue though. When I plug in the phone windows installs 3 drivers. One is CDC driver which always fails. No clue why.

Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    You'll have to type that whole thing out, and be VERY careful with spaces and punctuation. One wrong letter and you could nuke your phone.