[Q] SIM card only intermittently recognized

Search This thread

imapanther

Jan 9, 2014
I purchased a Global GSM 16 GB Moto G from Amazon back in January, and have been using it purely as a WiFi device these past months. I bought it to use as a travelling phone, as I already have a phone but needed something unlocked to use when on trips. I am in Mexico for a month and have been having trouble getting a local SIM card (from a company called Movistar) to work with the phone. They only had full sized SIM cards nearby, and I didn't want to travel an hour to pick up a Micro SIM, but I had brought along a SIM card cutter just in case, and quickly trimmed it down.

I popped it in and the phone quickly recognized it and picked up signal. I tested sending and receiving messages, calling and receiving calls, all with no problems. However, the next morning I saw that the phone had disconnected and was no longer recognizing the SIM card. I did the usual restart, which worked for an hour, then I had to resort to taking the card out, cleaning the contacts, and putting it back in. It worked for another couple hours, then quit again. Whatever I try it tells me my SIM card is invalid or doesn't recognize it anywhere from a couple seconds to a couple hours after I insert it. I have tested the card in an old unlocked RAZR V3 with one of the Micro to normal SIM adapters included with the SIM cutter and it works just fine, with no connection problems even after a couple days of use.

This leads me to believe that the problem lies within the software of the Moto G itself. After a bit of research it seems like this might be a problem with Kit-Kat. I've checked the SIM contacts inside the phone with a flashlight for damage (though I'm very careful with my tech) and they all appear to be just fine. I've attached a screenshot of my lock screen with evidence of the "Invalid SIM" message highlighted in orange.

I would appreciate any help figuring this out!

Screenshot_2014-05-06-23-35-05.jpg

sanads

Account currently disabled
Jan 23, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
same things happen to me also.
when I cut down a normal sim to micro . some days itss working then same invalid sim problem.
only solution to re insert sim.

imapanther

Jan 9, 2014
At this point my phone will reject my SIM card every couple minutes to every couple hours. Sometimes it will not even recognize it immediately after a SIM re-insertion cycle. Right now it's pretty much unusable as a cellphone.