Apps on storage card

Search This thread

zeheres

Nov 8, 2008
Hi,

since I'm running REALLY LOW at internal storage I tinker with the idea of putting some apps to storage card. Thus I'm wondering what if I reflashed my Herald someday. Will I have to reinstall those apps as well or will I be able start them right from SD? What about the app's shortcuts@ Windows folder?!

Cheers

zerocool81

Oct 5, 2007
Genova
Hello
If you decide to do a hard reset, then you must reinstall all the programs in SD ..
Whenever you change ROM or you make a hard reset, you'll need to reinstall all CAB

joemanb

Feb 22, 2006
Ogden,Ut
It depends on whether the CAB installs files to different locations, and whether the CAB contains registry entries. Check your CAB file using MSCEINF to see if it copies files to the windows folder and if it has registry entries. Also check the [DefaultInstall] section of the .inf file for the entry 'SelfRegisterDll'. If your CAB file contains any of these things then you'll have to reinstall it after a hard reset.
A large percentage of CABs only contain a single file with no registry entrys and would not have to be reinstalled after a hard reset.

BenThon

Apr 3, 2006
Check your CAB file using MSCEINF to see if it copies files to the windows folder and if it has registry entries.
Hi J03M4N,

With your help (Thanks) there is a new version for MSCEInf (version 2.6) :

Contributions of version 2.6

Backslash added in rebuilt Inf file, at item [SourceDisksNames], if specified folder has not one at the beginning.
• Due to a bug in new version of mshtml.dll in Internet Explorer 8 Beta for drawing a background image in ListView, I have taken away the background image in the Open Cab Dialog Box.
• There is now a new column in the tab "Folders", with real values written in the CAB without transformation of %CExx%.

Download links in my signature.

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
not all apps have to be reinstalled. even apps which require registry keys might write them when you run the app from the SD card without installing it.

but remember that not all apps can be installed on the SD card..

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
i can't name you all the apps which can't :)
some can, some can't.
for instance, you can't install iGO8 on your storage card...
just install the app on your device and choose Storage Card... (which doesn't always appear as an option)... you can check after installing if it installed on your card or not.

max, uninstall.

jacobmacek

Dec 22, 2011
Winchester
theres an app for that

Hi,

since I'm running REALLY LOW at internal storage I tinker with the idea of putting some apps to storage card. Thus I'm wondering what if I reflashed my Herald someday. Will I have to reinstall those apps as well or will I be able start them right from SD? What about the app's shortcuts@ Windows folder?!

Cheers

either google force2SD.apk or search for it in blackmart alpha