Will the black model scratch

Search This thread

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
You guys should watch this to have a better view of anodization.

It isn't metal plating and isn't like paint where you apply it on top of aluminum.
What we need to worry is if HTC rushes up the process since anodization requires a lengthy amount of time and rushing it would only result to a thinner anodized layer which would result to the likes of the IPhone.

When proper anodization process is done it is very durable to the point that it is almost scratchless.

Look at this n8 scratch test(n8 uses anodized aluminum case also) when he scratched the case with a coin instead of the case getting scratched the coin was the one that got eroded.

Reactions: techguyone

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
Another thing to consider would be HTC's track record so far.
Have they anodised previously?
If so, was it any good?

That would be a good indicator for this model.

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
If the One S is anything to go by, you're new black phone will look like ****e by the end of the week. My friend has one and the corners and edges were down the silvery alloy in no time. It looks bloody awful like he dropped it.

Solution! Buy a black marker pen. Its like makeup for your crappy HTC phone!

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
If the One S is anything to go by, you're new black phone will look like ****e by the end of the week. My friend has one and the corners and edges were down the silvery alloy in no time. It looks bloody awful like he dropped it.

Solution! Buy a black marker pen. Its like makeup for your crappy HTC phone!

What ar you talking about? Your statement doesn't even make any sense. What does One S have to do with anodized aluminum and HTC One? And what are you talking about your friend having the One already? And it already has scratches and nicks? @.@

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Another thing to consider would be HTC's track record so far.
Have they anodised previously?
If so, was it any good?

That would be a good indicator for this model.

Yes but not like a whole phone. They have made an anodized metal on the mytouch 4g slide on the camera rim.

tmobilemytouch4gslidereview02-1312286069.jpg

Look at the green on the camera.

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
What ar you talking about? Your statement doesn't even make any sense. What does One S have to do with anodized aluminum and HTC One? And what are you talking about your friend having the One already? And it already has scratches and nicks? @.@

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

When I said my friend has one I was referring to an HTC one s as that is what I was using as an example. Of course he doesn't have an HTC one as it has not been released yet. What has the "HTC one s" got to do with it? It also had the anodized aluminum and looks like a right mess after a couple of weeks. Google it.

Calm down dear.. it's only a phone!

Reactions: Riyal

Terminator19

Mar 13, 2011
The grey one S is using anodized aluminium and has no chipping issues.

The black one S has a MAO layer, which has chipping issues, however, HTC quickly fixed it with newer models that had smoother/rounder edges and a bevelled USB port so the chipping didn't happen by itself. Saying that, I have had my one S since April (the first version) and it is still in perfect condition except the edges of the USB port.

AFAIK, the black "one" does not have a MAO finish.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City

The black one S has a MAO layer, which has chipping issues, however, HTC quickly fixed it with newer models that had smoother/rounder edges and a bevelled USB port so the chipping didn't happen by itself. Saying that, I have had my one S since April (the first version) and it is still in perfect condition except the edges of the USB port.

Thank you! I just googled myself and yeah you are right. Only the black version was having the issue and not the grey one. So yes HTC seems to make durable anodized aluminum and apparently HTC One black isn't using MAO black but a real anodized aluminum finish.

TramainM

Dec 30, 2011
My HTC One S scratched when it was first released. It was more of a chipping issue. However they fixed that problem within the coming months. So if they learned from their mistake they should be fine. Only time will tell, but for the sake of beating samsung I hope it doesn't scratch.

stretched

Jul 9, 2011
Throw a skin on it if you are worried. I have kids so my phone gets pretty rough use. I always use skins and a case.

HuDuVuDu

Jun 28, 2010
My EVO-LTE is black aluminum body. No color chipping after almost a year. I have zero scratches, it has been in a case but the exposed parts are scratch free.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

radiotrib

Jan 19, 2007
Den Haag
I wonder if I can fix the scratches on my One-X with a black marker pen too ...

ex-one-x.png

... and after I retrieved it from the mayhem and got into my other car to drive home, the car radio picked up it's bluetooth signal and it played me music for 15 minutes until the battery finally fried from impact damage. I was even able to read my phone stats on the car radio direct from my ex-One-X

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You guys should watch this to have a better view of anodization.

It isn't metal plating and isn't like paint where you apply it on top of aluminum.
    What we need to worry is if HTC rushes up the process since anodization requires a lengthy amount of time and rushing it would only result to a thinner anodized layer which would result to the likes of the IPhone.

When proper anodization process is done it is very durable to the point that it is almost scratchless.

Look at this n8 scratch test(n8 uses anodized aluminum case also) when he scratched the case with a coin instead of the case getting scratched the coin was the one that got eroded.

When I said my friend has one I was referring to an HTC one s as that is what I was using as an example. Of course he doesn't have an HTC one as it has not been released yet. What has the "HTC one s" got to do with it? It also had the anodized aluminum and looks like a right mess after a couple of weeks. Google it.

Calm down dear.. it's only a phone!