[Q] Caller ID/SMS Announce & Auto Answer

Search This thread

jms_uk

Oct 5, 2007
Guildford
So since switching to my lovely N5, I've missed a few things I found baked into older versions of Android on my old Razr I.. I know that if I fiddle with the Accessibility/TalkBack settings in Kit Kat, I'll get some of the features I need, but I was hoping not to have to go with the full talkback functionality if possible, so I was wondering if any of the good folks here had recommendations of good/stable apps to do the following?

An app that uses TTS to do caller ID and SMS announcements - e.g. for when I'm driving..
A reliable and configurable app for auto answering calls..

Ideally the ability for these apps to activate or shut down when paired/not paired to a specific bluetooth device (e.g. like Car Home Ultra) would be awesome.. I could get tasker involved at a pinch, but native support for this would be easier :)

I appreciate that if I look at the play store, there are a LOT of free and paid apps that cover the basic requirements - but XDA has always been my go-to source for reliable recommendations, and if I'm honest the reviews for most of the ones I can find are all over the place :)

tia :)

Last edited:

jms_uk

Oct 5, 2007
Guildford
Unfortunately, Utter was a little too unpredictable for me - when used in conjunction with my bluetooth car unit anyway...

I'm trying Free Car Mode

..which seems to be a single app that does both auto answer and SMS announce - in fact it may be the only app on the play store that does both.. (irritatingly it has an annoying quirk of always going back to it's main screen whenever an SMS is read out, kinda defeating the "hands free" requirement if I'm already in a navigation app.. but hey ho, its free so I can't complain too much - I've mentioned it in my Google Play review, so you never know.. the developer may implement it :)

jms_uk

Oct 5, 2007
Guildford
Yeah, I saw that.. no worries, a "personal assistant" app may have been overkill anyway. Free Car Mode seems to be doing the job - it's a pain to manually launch before each drive, but I've added it as a button to Car Home Ultra and just have to manually enable/disable before each drive

Top Liked Posts