Unable to to Boot after CM7 install

Search This thread

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
I'm considering starting a new thread as this is a different issue as compared to OP. I can't figure out which forum it should be in though... General maybe?

I'm also considering taking my formerly trusty old nook color outside and laying him to rest with 00 buck... which at this point would please me I think.

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Wow I finally managed to get a version of ADB installed that works, took forever. Output looks bad. :(

~# fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 7944 MB, 7944011776 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 242432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0 doesn't contain a valid partition table.
~#

Uh oh!!!!!!

Very bad.. :(

Looks like your internal partitions are completely wiped. You can re-create the partitions. However you're missing some very important unique device info which is stored in the /rom & /factory partition. You're gonna have to try and get a hold of a 'dd' of those partitions before you can go any further. Maybe someone you know that has a nook can dd those partitions for you. After that, we can proceed to re-create the partitions manually with fdisk.

There is a thread here where someone had the same issues as you did. I'll try and link the thread so you can get some info. And maybe hook up with the user, since he was able to resolve after some time.

-Racks

brad65807

Sep 12, 2007
Dallas
Not sure if this will help anyone, but i also formatted boot by accident. and my nook would do absolutely nothing. luckily i had a bootable cwm sd card and booted back into CWM. then swapped out the SD card to the one i normally use. the i mounted the sd card in CWM and was able to do a nandroid restore and it restored boot and all is back where it should be.

Gellybenj

Oct 11, 2012
Well I had a minute so I've put together a CWM Flashable zip that will recreate the partitions for you! So create a bootable CWM Recovery SDcard and flash as you would a rom. Make sure you reboot after flashing before you attempt to flash anything else!

This will recreate /system /data /cache & /media on your EMMC. This is also assuming you still have the first 4 partitions intact. This will only recreate partitions 5,6,7 & 8. Please let me know if it works or not. It should, but ya neva know. So usual disclaimers apply here..

**Use this at your own risk, I am not responsible for what happens to your device.. yadayadayada...**

Again this should work as intended, but I don't have a borked nook color to try it on. :p

Good luck!
Racks

Edit: Forgot to mention that all I did was use DeanGibson's scripts as a base and packaged it as a flashable zip. So big-up to you as well Mr. DeanGibson. :D

Thanks for that little zip file to flash that worked perfectly!!! I crashed the whole Nook when I was getting away from "Cyanogen Inc."

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I had a minute so I've put together a CWM Flashable zip that will recreate the partitions for you! So create a bootable CWM Recovery SDcard and flash as you would a rom. Make sure you reboot after flashing before you attempt to flash anything else!

This will recreate /system /data /cache & /media on your EMMC. This is also assuming you still have the first 4 partitions intact. This will only recreate partitions 5,6,7 & 8. Please let me know if it works or not. It should, but ya neva know. So usual disclaimers apply here..

**Use this at your own risk, I am not responsible for what happens to your device.. yadayadayada...**

Again this should work as intended, but I don't have a borked nook color to try it on. :p

Good luck!
    Racks

Edit: Forgot to mention that all I did was use DeanGibson's scripts as a base and packaged it as a flashable zip. So big-up to you as well Mr. DeanGibson. :D
    A friend of mine tried to install CM7 on his NookColor. Something went wrong and so he brought it to me. I've done dozens of these. I thought it would be an easy fix so I stuck in my trusty SD boot card with encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03042012. I booted into CWM and did a factory reset and installed encore_CM72-MiRaGe-03042012. I booted it up and expected it to be fixed.

It did the same thing this time which is to boot to the initial splashcreen and then go blank. You can tell the screen is still backlit, but it never changes. You have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to turn it off.

When I boot back into CMW I see some unexpected messages

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /command
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /log
    E:Can't open/cache/recovery /log
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery /last_log
    E:Can't open/cache/recovery /last_log

I tried installing CM7 again and watched the messages closely. It says

Installeding update

Install from sdcard complete.

Reboots the same way

Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this? Thanks
    app_39@android:/ # fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0
    Warning: invalid flag 0x00,0x00 of partition table 5 will be corrected by w(rite)

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 7944 MB, 7944011776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 965 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 * 1 9 72261 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 10 18 72292+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 19 56 305235 83 Linux
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 57 935 7060567+ 5 Extended
    app_39@android:/ #

Yep, your missing the last 4 partitions which are /system, /data, /cache, /media. Which you would need to flash any rom. You're gonna have to re-create them by using fdisk from and SDcard ROM (eg. CM7 or CM9). There's a thread here somewhere that dealt with all that. I'll browse through and see if I can find it for you.

-Racks
    This is nookcolor easy adb 3:

http://db.tt/b3XfztAY

And the USB files file NC:

nookcolor usb
    http://db.tt/QRhksG2n
    You Rule Racks. This is Top Notch! 100% success. You just saved many nooks my friend.