Per App DPI settings without Paranoid Android

Search This thread

Larry94

Apr 2, 2011
Hey, guys! Firefox Beta is currently my browser of choice, but due to the DPI settings of our beloved Nexus 7, the app uses the Phone UI. Just look at it!

aPAhRht.png

Now, let's take a look at it's layout when it sees a proper tablet DPI.

lRtIuOb.png

Fabulous! Now let's figure out how we can achieve this...

First of all, we need to install a framework called Xposed. This handy app can modify your ROM without touching an APK or having to flash anything. If your interested, read more about it in its OP. Speaking of the OP, you'll be downloading the APK at the bottom under attachments

You'll find it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

Open the app and touch the 'Install/Update' button. It should install successfully and request that you reboot your device. Do so now.

Now, we need to grab the app that will allow us to change the DPI settings per app. The app will also allow you to deny permissions to apps, but that's not why we are here. ;)

You'll find the app in the attachment section of the following thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2072081

Install it and then open the previously installed Xposed Installer. Switch over to the Modules tab and checkmark the Xposed App Settings. Reboot.

Almost done!

After you've rebooted, open up the Xposed App Settings app. Scroll down to the app you would like to modify. In this case, we'll be changing Firefox Beta to tablet mode. Select Firefox Beta when you find it and enable it. Once enabled, you'll be greeted with the following screen:

ypxlwaw.png

Yours won't look exactly like that, but you'll need to make yours look like that also. Your DPI can be anything between 160 and 177. Once you've applied those, touch the wrench icon on the top right and force stop the app. go back to the app and touch the icon to the left of the |> icon. It'll ask you if you want to kill the application, do it again for good measure.

Success! Touch the |> icon to start the app and it should be laid out in all its tablet glory!

Bonus: You can also get the tablet, dual pane version of the Settings app by setting the resolution to 1000x1600 in Xposed App Settings. :D

In closing, take a look at some before and after pictures for some apps that don't have tablet lay outs by default.

Youtube

Before:

Screenshot_2013-02-01-20-55-30.png

After:

Screenshot_2013-02-01-20-55-59.png

Play Store (Don't like this one so much)

Before:

Screenshot_2013-02-01-20-58-12.png

After:

Screenshot_2013-02-01-21-00-42.png

As you can see, most of the text is squeezed together in an undesirable fashion. I switched it back. I also believe Pulse has a tablet layout, but I'm not sure.

If you know of any more apps that do this, let me know. :)

Last edited:

carlz0206

Jan 24, 2010
Tried and followed instruction,was able to change the UI but i think changing the dpi doest work thanks for sharing

Larry94

Apr 2, 2011
Hmmm xposed wouldn't let me install the files it just froze

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm no developer, so I can't be of much help with issues like that. Your best betis to ask the developer of xposed in his thread, or trying again.

Last edited:

domg73

Jul 16, 2011
This worked for me... thanks!
I was thinking about flashing paranoid but now I can keep my stock rom :)

Last edited:

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
So how do you know if xposed installed the files correctly does it auto reboot?

Edit: nvm it worked! Time to get modding thanks Larry!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Larry94

Apr 2, 2011
Last edited:

jarayn

Aug 6, 2012
Good guide thanks. I already did this with chrome to make it work with a site I use.

Not sure I see how Firefox looks any better though. Looks horrible both ways. Truly a terrible browser imo. No redeeming features for me since I am not interested in flash.

vn00914361

Dec 24, 2010
Westminster
Thanks for the guide. The setting app just fc. Can't help anything even I fixed permission already

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Larry94

Apr 2, 2011
Good guide thanks. I already did this with chrome to make it work with a site I use.

Not sure I see how Firefox looks any better though. Looks horrible both ways. Truly a terrible browser imo. No redeeming features for me since I am not interested in flash.

I've since ditched the browser for Lightning Browser. Tablet may look the same, but the tab system feels much better in tablet mode.

Flash also works fine on Lightning Browser.

EDIT: OP updated with info for dual pane Settings app. Too lazy to check it? Well, it's simple. Select 1000x1600 resolution for the Settings app.

Last edited:

Crozar

Dec 14, 2012
I can't get the firefox beta in tablet mode on my note 2 any ideas . I tried all the op settings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, guys! Firefox Beta is currently my browser of choice, but due to the DPI settings of our beloved Nexus 7, the app uses the Phone UI. Just look at it!

aPAhRht.png

Now, let's take a look at it's layout when it sees a proper tablet DPI.

lRtIuOb.png

Fabulous! Now let's figure out how we can achieve this...

First of all, we need to install a framework called Xposed. This handy app can modify your ROM without touching an APK or having to flash anything. If your interested, read more about it in its OP. Speaking of the OP, you'll be downloading the APK at the bottom under attachments

You'll find it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

Open the app and touch the 'Install/Update' button. It should install successfully and request that you reboot your device. Do so now.

Now, we need to grab the app that will allow us to change the DPI settings per app. The app will also allow you to deny permissions to apps, but that's not why we are here. ;)

You'll find the app in the attachment section of the following thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2072081

Install it and then open the previously installed Xposed Installer. Switch over to the Modules tab and checkmark the Xposed App Settings. Reboot.

Almost done!

After you've rebooted, open up the Xposed App Settings app. Scroll down to the app you would like to modify. In this case, we'll be changing Firefox Beta to tablet mode. Select Firefox Beta when you find it and enable it. Once enabled, you'll be greeted with the following screen:

ypxlwaw.png

Yours won't look exactly like that, but you'll need to make yours look like that also. Your DPI can be anything between 160 and 177. Once you've applied those, touch the wrench icon on the top right and force stop the app. go back to the app and touch the icon to the left of the |> icon. It'll ask you if you want to kill the application, do it again for good measure.

Success! Touch the |> icon to start the app and it should be laid out in all its tablet glory!

Bonus: You can also get the tablet, dual pane version of the Settings app by setting the resolution to 1000x1600 in Xposed App Settings. :D

In closing, take a look at some before and after pictures for some apps that don't have tablet lay outs by default.

Youtube

Before:

Screenshot_2013-02-01-20-55-30.png

After:

Screenshot_2013-02-01-20-55-59.png

Play Store (Don't like this one so much)

Before:

Screenshot_2013-02-01-20-58-12.png

After:

Screenshot_2013-02-01-21-00-42.png

As you can see, most of the text is squeezed together in an undesirable fashion. I switched it back. I also believe Pulse has a tablet layout, but I'm not sure.

If you know of any more apps that do this, let me know. :)