[Q] I just NVFlashed a C10 TF101. Discuss?

Search This thread

rmaniac

Jun 24, 2009
I would love to know what went on here.

Here is what we know:

I purchased a TF101 about a month ago.
It is factory refurbished.
The serial number on the box starts with C10.
The serial number in Status starts with 037c7
After I received it, the first thing I did was root it.
I then put it in APX mode just for fun and ran sbkDetect which said I have sbk2

At this point I was pretty sure I would never NVFlash this device, both the serial number then sbkDetect detect said no.

More of what we know:
This device came with Honeycomb and has NEVER received an ASUS update.
I installed Revolution HD, followed soon after by Megatron.
At some point just for giggles, I downloaded and installed the Asus Unlock tool for Transformer Prime. I turned off my wifi (just to be safe) and ran it. It told me I was on the wrong device and it would not work.

I played with some linux kernels to boot ubuntu. At some point while doing this I lost recovery and the ability to boot anything.

I was still in my 30 day window, so I almost returned it. Then, again just for fun, I grabbed the NVFlash package, and the PRIME images. I ran this and (once I had the images in place) it finished and claimed success.

My boot image is now grey without the nvidia logo it used to have. Then it goes through some PC looking steps (I am not sure if this is the ROM being cute or something to do with the boot loader).

I booted up, logged into the PRIME (1.4 I was just grabbing SOMETHING to test with) and all seems fine. Just to double check, I went back and NVFlashed it again. It worked again and Android booted back up in a rewiped state.

So what do you guys think? My best guess is that when it was refurbished the serial number was changed (I mean it's just on the box), but it's MB was not and SBK1 was left on the board. This does not explain why the SBKDetect tool told me I was SBKv2.

Is it possible the Prime unlock unlocked mine even though it returned an error?

Would anyone else with a C10 like to back their's up and try an NVFlash for fun? Then run the Prime unlock and try again if it fails?

Elders of the forum, please speak up. :)

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
I've never heard of a serial starting with c--anything for one. Only B--. That is a great find though, mabye someone can replicate this, as it did detect sbkv2

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
Interesting hope somebody can explain this one because there is alot of people that would love nvflash on sbkv2

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
A video sure would be swell. =D

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Saav

Feb 19, 2012
I have a b70 tf but not sure which sbk it has. I know there's sbk detect for linux. Would running a live cd allow me to check it as I don't want to switch OS just for that?

Also would the device get bricked if I atempted to use nvflash or would it simple give an error and abort the process? Sorry if my questions have already been answered but I couldn't find them.

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Yeah a live cd should work, if you can get adb working on it. Otherwise use live usb, nvflash could possibly brick so I'd check first.

Nairbly

May 11, 2011
Tried the unlock tool the nvflashing prime 1.4 on my b70 with sbkv2 but no success. The unlock tool just said wrong device and nvflash gave the standard error you get when you run it on an sbkv2 device.

Tried both in windows and linux as well.

Reactions: Thing O Doom
I

I2IEAILiiTY

I didn't have the patience to check mine, but I was told it's an sbk2 by a member around here.
Anyways, I got nvflash to work for mine. I was bricked and decided to take the chance even though I wasn't sure exactly what would happen going through the procedure w/o knowing for sure if it'd work or not, but I found out it works and I unbricked it. :)

rmaniac

Jun 24, 2009
I didn't have the patience to check mine, but I was told it's an sbk2 by a member around here.
Anyways, I got nvflash to work for mine. I was bricked and decided to take the chance even though I wasn't sure exactly what would happen going through the procedure w/o knowing for sure if it'd work or not, but I found out it works and I unbricked it. :)

Can you confirm yours is a C10?

Also, for those trying things out on their own. Please note, I was not giving instructions or an explanation in any way. I have no idea what circumstances lead to NVFlash working. I just wanted to list everything the device have been though in my hands. Any of those things could have been key or had absolutely nothing to do with it working.

One note though. To my understanding, prime owners can't even use NVFlash when they use the unlock tool, so besides the fact that it claims not to do anything, even when it does do something, it does not allow NVFlash to work. So the odds of that being more than a waste of time are somewhat slim. Unless asus put an awesome easter egg in the code, which I kind of doubt and could be verified by someone looking at the code posted to the prime forum I expect.

Nairbly

May 11, 2011

Also, for those trying things out on their own. Please note, I was not giving instructions or an explanation in any way. I have no idea what circumstances lead to NVFlash working. I just wanted to list everything the device have been though in my hands. Any of those things could have been key or had absolutely nothing to do with it working.

One note though. To my understanding, prime owners can't even use NVFlash when they use the unlock tool, so besides the fact that it claims not to do anything, even when it does do something, it does not allow NVFlash to work. So the odds of that being more than a waste of time are somewhat slim. Unless asus put an awesome easter egg in the code, which I kind of doubt and could be verified by someone looking at the code posted to the prime forum I expect.

Well considering both of you seemed to have bricked devices it might be worth it for anyone else who has bricked their sbkv2 device to just try nvflashing it anyways.

I also think if there is a way to get a log of exactly what is going on when you nvflash your device it may give some insight into why yours works even tho it seems to be sbkv2.

Also does your device still detect as sbkv2?

I

I2IEAILiiTY

It's a B something model, I know that for sure.
I'll check tomorrow though cause I'm trying to hurry up and set my tab back up and my phone. I flashed ROMs on both devices just now and I'm sleepy AF.

rmaniac

Jun 24, 2009
Also does your device still detect as sbkv2?

Mine still claims to be via lilstevies sbkDetect on MacOS. I have not tried the linux one for a second opinion. I am also not 100% sure what checks the tool performs.

Also, when my tool runs it says the sbk is burned.
Here is the commandline and unit info from nvflash:

>"nvflash.exe" --bct tr
ansformer.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --create --bl bootloader.bin --odm
data 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x1682CCD8 0x8A1A43EA 0xA532EEB6 0xECFE1D98 --go
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
chip name: t20
chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 4
chip sku: 0x8
chip uid: 0x03..... (The rest of this matches the serial I get in "status")
macrovision: disabled
hdcp: enabled
sbk burned: true
dk burned: true
boot device: emmc
operating mode: 4
device config strap: 2
device config fuse: 0
sdram config strap: 0

I am not sure how the compares to other known sbkv1 or sbkv2s if at all.

Last edited:

Nairbly

May 11, 2011
Mine still claims to be via lilstevies sbkDetect on MacOS. I have not tried the linux one for a second opinion. I am also not 100% sure what checks the tool performs.

Also, when my tool runs it says the sbk is burned.
Here is the commandline and unit info from nvflash:

>"nvflash.exe" --bct tr
ansformer.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --create --bl bootloader.bin --odm
data 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x1682CCD8 0x8A1A43EA 0xA532EEB6 0xECFE1D98 --go
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
chip name: t20
chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 4
chip sku: 0x8
chip uid: 0x03..... (The rest of this matches the serial I get in "status")
macrovision: disabled
hdcp: enabled
sbk burned: true
dk burned: true
boot device: emmc
operating mode: 4
device config strap: 2
device config fuse: 0
sdram config strap: 0

I am not sure how the compares to other known sbkv1 or sbkv2s if at all.

It is strange that your device still comes up as sbkv2 since you are using the key for sbkv1 and it is working, but then I don't know how the sbk detect tool works. Perhaps lilstevie could shed some light on this.

I checked around on google the burned thing shows up in all the posted successful nvflash logs I looked at, I think it is just saying that you have an sbk locked in.

Just a crazy thought, maybe whatever happened to brick your device is letting you bypass the sbk test, perhaps you could try running nvflash without an sbk or with a made up one.

rmaniac

Jun 24, 2009
Just a crazy thought, maybe whatever happened to brick your device is letting you bypass the sbk test, perhaps you could try running nvflash without an sbk or with a made up one.

I can't imagine how, but I do like the idea of trying it with another key. I won't be attempting such a thing right now, but I will attempt it when I feel like wiping the pad down.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    B=2011
    C=2012 manufacture year
    Tried the unlock tool the nvflashing prime 1.4 on my b70 with sbkv2 but no success. The unlock tool just said wrong device and nvflash gave the standard error you get when you run it on an sbkv2 device.

Tried both in windows and linux as well.