[Q] Brazilian Xperia SP working only in 2G (GPRS/EDGE) inside United States

Search This thread

pedrolrc

Mar 12, 2014
Hello everyone!
I bought an unlocked Xperia SP in Brasil last year. Today I live in Missouri, United States and I'm having data connection problems with my device from Brazil. Since I arrived here, I only got EDGE data connection. I have tried two different SIM cards from different american companies, such as Ultra and T-Mobile. Now I'm with T-Mobile Pre-Paid Plan and I still have the same issue.

After some research, I found out that this problem can be some frequency incompatibility between brazilian and american devices.
I would like to know more information about it and try to solve my problem. I can not stay on EDGE anymore, is so slow...:(

Anyone has a solution?

Thank you all so much!;)

pedrolrc

Mar 12, 2014
Brazilian Xperia SP working only in 2G (GPRS/EDGE) inside United States

Flash this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50635268. Hope u know all around

Gesendet von meinem Xperia SP

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Or tell us first what for a sp u have

Hello Joke!
Thanks for your reply.

I read all the thread that you've suggested.
I've tried to download the FTF file in MEGA website but I couldn't.

Anyway, if I flash this, my Xperia SP will be able to work in the US frequency?
I'm worried about coming back to Brasil, maybe I will need my original FTF to install again, right?

I'm a little confused about it. Could you help me to get this more clear?

Thank you buddy

juliomb179

Hello everyone!
I bought an unlocked Xperia SP in Brasil last year. Today I live in Missouri, United States and I'm having data connection problems with my device from Brazil. Since I arrived here, I only got EDGE data connection. I have tried two different SIM cards from different american companies, such as Ultra and T-Mobile. Now I'm with T-Mobile Pre-Paid Plan and I still have the same issue.

After some research, I found out that this problem can be some frequency incompatibility between brazilian and american devices.
I would like to know more information about it and try to solve my problem. I can not stay on EDGE anymore, is so slow...:(

Anyone has a solution?

Thank you all so much!;)

Reading about your issue, the 3G bands in USA are different from Brazil, most common bands is USA are 850/1900 Mhz, and Brazil most common are 900/1800 Mhz, this could be the reason why your phone does not connect to 3G

Last edited:
Reactions: pedrolrc

pedrolrc

Mar 12, 2014
Fone Information

You should try to choose cdma in phone info (dial *#*#4636#*#* ) instead of wcdma.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Hey pec0ra!

I tried to change the preffered network type in Fone Info as you said.

Attached in this message are two screenshots with the options that I got.
I've tried all of those options and I still don't get the 3G.

Thank you so much for your help man!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-14-15-24-32.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-14-15-24-32.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_2014-03-14-15-24-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-14-15-24-40.png
    228 KB · Views: 64

pedrolrc

Mar 12, 2014
Model

Reading about your issue, the 3G bands in USA are different from Brazil, most common bands is USA are 850/1900 Mhz, and Brazil most common are 900/1800 Mhz, this could be the reason why your phone does not connect to 3G

Hey juliomb179 and Joke!
Thanks for helping!

Attached in this message we have one screenshot of the About Phone page in the System Settings category. In this screenshot you can see the model (that is C5303), android version and kernel. I hope it helps.

So, the three other screenshots are about my try at the Service Providers settings, where we can change from one to another. I tried to change from the current T-Mobile (2G) to aT&T (3G), but I couldn't.

Thanks for helping!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-14-17-00-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-14-17-00-32.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_2014-03-12-11-35-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-12-11-35-30.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2014-03-12-11-35-37.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-12-11-35-37.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2014-03-12-11-36-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-12-11-36-56.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 43

joke19

Feb 23, 2012
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Samsung Galaxy S21
I Hi read the second post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621223. U can flash the American tft.

U have CWM recovery and or unlocked bootloader? Because u tell us that u want go to Brazil so u can make an nandroid backup from ur Brazil firmware. When u change the country u must only restore the system over CWM custom restore. So u can hold ur settings apps etc.
Don't forget the two firmwares need CWM recovery.

Or this is an option for locked bootloader.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=5285
I think never again problems with baseband.
But for cm10 and baseband other people can maybe answer better because I'm in Europe with a 5303.

Last edited:

pedrolrc

Mar 12, 2014
Still not working after directions

I Hi read the second post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621223. U can flash the American tft.

U have CWM recovery and or unlocked bootloader? Because u tell us that u want go to Brazil so u can make an nandroid backup from ur Brazil firmware. When u change the country u must only restore the system over CWM custom restore. So u can hold ur settings apps etc.
Don't forget the two firmwares need CWM recovery.

Or this is an option for locked bootloader.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=5285
I think never again problems with baseband.
But for cm10 and baseband other people can maybe answer better because I'm in Europe with a 5303.

Hi @joke19! Firstly, thank you for the help. It opened my mind about the way to fix the problem.

Those are the things that I made, following your directions and some others that I found on the Web:
- Checked if my bootloader was locked and if could I unlock it.
- Unlocked my Bootloader requiring the key from "unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com"
- Installed the CWM Recovery the correct Kernel (Kernel_FW-266_v01.elf)
- Made a backup of my phone using the CWM
- Tried to flash the ROMs (TFT files) from another countries (HERE IS WHERE STAY MY PROBLEMS). I used the Sony Mobile Flasher by Androxyde.

First of all, I flashed "C5303_12.1.A.0.266_CE.tft" (Generic Universal). Everything gone well but the data service continued to provide only 2g.
After that, I flashed "C5303_12.1.A.0.266_Generic PH.tft" (Unbranded/Philippines). Everything went well too and the problem still happens until now, only EDGE.

--> I didn't find the US TFT file, that's why I tried with the Universal and with the one from Philippines.
--> After all the flash procedures I tried to change the service providers, restart the phone, wait for 1 day, etc. Nothing happened.

What should I do?

Thank you man.

pedrolrc

Mar 12, 2014
Force 3G under mobile data settings

Test to force 3g under mobil data setting or test a custom rom.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Hope u made a ta backup

Hi @joke19. I've tried to force 3G under mobile data settings (service providers) since the begining, but I always receive the message "Could not connect to the selected network. Make sure the SIM card is inserted or the selected network is available".

My SIM card is properly inserted and it is from T-Mobile. The only 3G service provider shown at the settings to choose is from AT&T.

However, I downloaded 4 different ROMs (TFT files) since yesterday all I will try tomorrow each one, until I get the solution.

I will let you know about the results.

Thank you again.

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
Hi @joke19. I've tried to force 3G under mobile data settings (service providers) since the begining, but I always receive the message "Could not connect to the selected network. Make sure the SIM card is inserted or the selected network is available".

My SIM card is properly inserted and it is from T-Mobile. The only 3G service provider shown at the settings to choose is from AT&T.

However, I downloaded 4 different ROMs (TFT files) since yesterday all I will try tomorrow each one, until I get the solution.

I will let you know about the results.

Thank you again.

Your problem is you have the wrong radio baseband for america it determines what frequency's you handset can receive I would have thought it would come bundled with the american ftf but as your problem is persisting see if you can find an american baseband ftf and flash that

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

pedrolrc

Mar 12, 2014
American tft for c5303

Your problem is you have the wrong radio baseband for america it determines what frequency's you handset can receive I would have thought it would come bundled with the american ftf but as your problem is persisting see if you can find an american baseband ftf and flash that

Thanks @Captain Sweatpants!

I'll try to find an american baseband tft and flash it.
I found one, as suggested by @joke19 in http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51418062&postcount=15. However, it is for C5306. It might cause problems flashing another model TFT file, right?

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
Thanks @Captain Sweatpants!

I'll try to find an american baseband tft and flash it.
I found one, as suggested by @joke19 in http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51418062&postcount=15. However, it is for C5306. It might cause problems flashing another model TFT file, right?

I wouldn't flash that the radio is one of the first things to boot and can hard brick a device if its not compatible. You are on the right track though keep looking for one for your model

Edit:
I just called Sony mobile and asked them what the difference is between the c5306 and the c5303 they said that the hardware is identical the only difference is where the phone was made for so UK is C5303 USA is C5306 ect the difference being the radio frequencies its tuned to so flashing the baseband from the C5306 should work but what I said before still stands. Flashing a baseband is risky. See if someone has tried before and what the outcome was. The man from Sony seemed to think it would work but obviously wouldnt officially condone it.

Last edited:

pedrolrc

Mar 12, 2014
I wouldn't flash that the radio is one of the first things to boot and can hard brick a device if its not compatible. You are on the right track though keep looking for one for your model

Edit:
I just called Sony mobile and asked them what the difference is between the c5306 and the c5303 they said that the hardware is identical the only difference is where the phone was made for so UK is C5303 USA is C5306 ect the difference being the radio frequencies its tuned to so flashing the baseband from the C5306 should work but what I said before still stands. Flashing a baseband is risky. See if someone has tried before and what the outcome was. The man from Sony seemed to think it would work but obviously wouldnt officially condone it.

@Captain Sweatpants, thank you so much!
Your comment is very helpful. Thanks for calling them.
Next week I will go to an AT&T store here and try to make some test with their SIM card.
If I can not get the service I will have my last try which is flash a c5306 TFT file.

Let's see what happens.

Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50635268. Hope u know all around

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Or tell us first what for a sp u have

You should try to choose cdma in phone info (dial *#*#4636#*#* ) instead of wcdma.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    What model do you have? C5302, C5303 or C5306

With this data we could find out what can be the problem.
    What model do you have? C5302, C5303 or C5306

With this data we could find out what can be the problem.

My words;)

Hello everyone!

Anyone has a solution?

Thank you all so much!;)