HTCDev Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

chriskader

Nov 29, 2009
Malvern
It just seems like it would make sense to unlock it using official means if it is an option. Not saying that Firewater will cause issues but workarounds can pose risks that could be avoided by using tools provided by HTC itself.

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
There is no reason to use the official HTC tool at all. I'm surprised it even works. Early tests by other users (incl myself) showed our devices being blocked on the site. Are you sure you have a Verizon HTC M8 as opposed to one for another carrier?

Anyway, with firewater, you shouldn't use it at all.
First, it voids your warranty. But most importantly of all, it does not give you S-off. Only bootloader unlock.

Firewater gives you both S-off and unlocked bootloader as well. There also have been no reports of any issues due to firewater. All it does is give you S-off. There are some legit dev phones out there that also have S-off; firewater just makes your phone equal to those dev ones.

chriskader

Nov 29, 2009
Malvern
There is no reason to use the official HTC tool at all. I'm surprised it even works. Early tests by other users (incl myself) showed our devices being blocked on the site. Are you sure you have a Verizon HTC M8 as opposed to one for another carrier?

Anyway, with firewater, you shouldn't use it at all.
First, it voids your warranty. But most importantly of all, it does not give you S-off. Only bootloader unlock.

Firewater gives you both S-off and unlocked bootloader as well. There also have been no reports of any issues due to firewater. All it does is give you S-off. There are some legit dev phones out there that also have S-off; firewater just makes your phone equal to those dev ones.

I want to make it clear that at no point was I saying that Firewater caused issues. I simply stated that any hack or unofficial tool COULD cause issues.

As for S-Off, what is the point when you have an unlocked bootloader?

putney1477

Feb 21, 2011
Concord, NH
I haven't tried mine but I read it wasn't working, which is why we have firewater. I'd love to give it a go again.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I haven't tried mine but I read it wasn't working, which is why we have firewater. I'd love to give it a go again.

I see no advantage to using the htcdev method, assuming that it really works (and it didn't work at least through when Firewater came out). That method wipes the phone AND the internal SD card. Firewater doesn't.

My name's Harold and I'm a flashaholic....

Reactions: putney1477

l7777

May 2, 2007
Were you previously s-off? Changing mid or cid can allow a banned (read vzw) phone get a legit unlock token. This was the case on the one max too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
This, the OP's signature says he is S-Off. OP, Post your CID and MID. If you are indeed already S-Off via firewater, as I suspect you are since that is the only way to gain S-Off, your bootloader was also already unlocked.

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
It just seems like it would make sense to unlock it using official means if it is an option. Not saying that Firewater will cause issues but workarounds can pose risks that could be avoided by using tools provided by HTC itself.

Did it say your warranty is now void and thanks for reporting to this site?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I decided to take a leap of faith and tried to unlock my bootloader using the HTCDev site and it worked. Would this make Firewater pointless?

I see no advantage to using the htcdev method, assuming that it really works (and it didn't work at least through when Firewater came out). That method wipes the phone AND the internal SD card. Firewater doesn't.

My name's Harold and I'm a flashaholic....