[Q] iPhone users. What do you miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Astom22

Nov 5, 2012
I have, yes. I love that feature a lot and it helps, but any time I'm not looking right at it is the issue. Not a deal breaker by any means, just something i have to get used to. I'm still kinda in shock over the stark difference and don't really care about the screen issue all that much haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

I'm with you, this phone is amazing. I was an Apple fan from the release of the first iPhone, but the Note 2 is so much more. There are little things I miss, but nothing that could make me go back.

Apple innovated in the beginning, but failed to evolve. Without huge changes, I will never go back. Probably buy an android tablet next, if I ever feel the need for one again. :)

mini998

Feb 18, 2013
Great thread.

I will miss iOS , it was perfect for my requirements, simple and fluid. ( Not saying Android is not, but there will be learning curve for me )

Currently I have iPhone 4 but I am not impressed with iPhone 5 .Going to buy note 2 in March.

Main reasons for me to switch are

1. Bad build quality of iPhone 5 - Yes it looks lovely when you take it out of the box but gets scratched easily after couple of weeks of use. My work iPhone 5 has twice as many scratches than my personal iPhone 4. If I'm paying premium price for a phone then I expect it to have premium quality as well.

2. Got fed up with small screen size of iPhone , half inch extension on iPhone 5 wasn't enough for me.

Above reasons made me look for a new phone and I am set on note 2.

I am a die hard Apple fan so this is a big move for me. Apple really missed a trick with their choices of screen sizes. I would have settled for an iPhone 5 if it had bit more screen size and decent quality outer surface.

ps- I develop iOS apps for living so it's safe to say I am not going to be popular at work after this switch LOL .

linkinyeah

Jan 4, 2013
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I really miss the ability to download iTunes U podcasts right from my phone. I am on the road a lot and this got me through a lot of down time. Anyway to get them without download from a computer with an iTunes account?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Well I wish the Samsung screens were as good as the iPhone is in the sun. I have a hella hard time using my phone outdoors even on max brightness

Oled vs LCD??? Do some research on the two different types of screens.:rolleyes: Completely different in all aspects! Oled blacks are much richer, LCD are kinda washed out. Being in the TV industry for the last 15+ yrs I should know a lil about screens.
Just my 2¢ :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go back to iphone..obviously u dont know how to work ir own phone ....maybe u need it simplified from apple sgn2 is better in all aspects
    Well this post was just flat out rude and uncalled for. There is no reason to post like this here. If you dont have a helpful opinion or answer, then dont post.
    Hey Coolio,

Why are you answering to my post then?

This is the type of things that make the developers not listen... and therefore, not develop and make something good, because people will actually eat anything they are fed.

Want to know what i miss? Being able to answer a call when in a call and not have both calls dropped... Or being able to do the simple things and the little things like actually calling with a certain degree of efficiency.

Coolio, I wasn't answering your post, however, I was pointing out how ridiculous it is. How can anyone say that the IPhone/IOs is more customizable than Android? If you want to bring valid points to the discussion please do. But customization being in the favor of Apple, is not one of them...

As far as your other points perhaps they are valid through your experience but I have no trouble switching calls. Placing phone calls is difficult for you on this phone?

Lastly, the irony...a fan of apple telling me ill "eat anything I'm fed"...really dude?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app
    Go back to iphone..obviously u dont know how to work ir own phone ....maybe u need it simplified from apple sgn2 is better in all aspects

Come on, if there's a way to do it and you know how, just tell the guy rather than being snarky for no good reason. This thread is obviously targeted towards people making the switch from iOS to Android, and there is a definite learning curve involved there.

Those are good points to know, thank you. Looking back I do remember video sending being a pain. I eventually ended up doing private Youtube uploads all the time and linking people to the videos. An extra step.

Not that I'm saying that's a deal breaker at all, but it's those little things. Does Android have a response to Photostream out of the box? If I recall, doesn't it automagically upload to Google+ or something of the sort?

It does upload to Google+, yes. I wound up turning that off, though, since I rarely use Google+. I did turn on automatic photo/video uploading for Dropbox, though, and I am absolutely loving that. I know there's photo/video upload in Dropbox for iOS, but this all happens via a service running in the background, so you don't have to have the actual Dropbox app open for it to happen.

Something else to note about the auto-upload for Dropbox (and Google+, for that matter): you can use that to share videos/images easily. Only issue is the person receiving it has to download/stream the full-res video or image, and you have to wait for it to upload before you can share itg. Still much easier than transcoding just to send a video, though. :)
    so was this post.
    I would suggest a private message as to not clutter up the forum.
    Hi, you may not have noticed that Im the Moderator of this forum... so when you tell me that my post was rude when Im trying to encourage that non-helpful posts should not be posted, well that sort of just adds fuel to the fire as your posts didnt help the conversation either. The difference however, is that I am doing my job as to moderate this thread (in my section) back toward the conversation. I also wasnt cluttering up the conversation as many people needed to read my post to help encourage non-helpful posts.

Hope this clears up your missconfusion. :)
    People talk about customization, but I think the iPhone with jailbreak is more customizable than Android.

Check this out

http://youtu.be/J4Q_97exnJk

Not necessarily this is what I am looking for, but you can see the level of smoothness and the possibilities with iOS vs Android. There is no way to have this level of customization right into the OS.

You're kidding right? Don't get me wrong, that tweak was VERY well implemented and if iOS actually came with that feature, it would be a great addition to the software and give iPhone users something to say they can compete with android on...

But you do realize that android has had these sorts of things in custom ROMs for YEARS, right?? I'd even give the benefit of the doubt and say, until ICS (Android 4.0) came out last year Oct-Nov, that some of these things weren't well implemented... Android 4.2 is definitely getting even better with these things...

Below are some screenshots of a custom ROM I'm running from CyanogenMod team... This is CM10.1 (Android 4.2)... These are stock android features and not skinned phones with "Sense" for HTC or "Touchwiz" for Samsung... I'll only compare feature for feature from that video, I won't even mention custom kernels to over or under clock the processor, as well as tons of other tweaks you can do with that alone... I won't mention the custom theme I'm running (Google Le Bean on the Play Store made by me), I won't mention that I can configure hardware buttons like the volume up button to skip tracks without even turning on the screen... or that I can open directly to apps, look at widgets or slide directly to the camera with stock Android... I'm only gonna compare what's in the video you linked...

STOCK +4.0 Android has recent app window too... and on there you can already see a sorta full window of what you were doing on app, its not a tweak... U can swipe apps away or long press an app and see the app info or remove it that way if you choose... Tweaked ROMs allow for the added button (top right on this rom but I've seen it on the bottom left which is better IMO) to close all apps with the press, not hold, of a button...

y2etehy5.jpg

The other things the video mentions are already, mostly, included in STOCK +4.1 Android in the notification panel (I prefer it there)... Starting with 4.1, app devs can now include expanded notifications... But if its an app like a music player or similar, they can also include convenient quick buttons that let you interact with the app without even opening it up... You can see in the screenshots below, the notifications are expanded for music, gmail, and G+... You can also see in another shot, that you can collapse notifications... In fact, they only auto-expand when there's space to expand... Otherwise if the panel is full they will popup collapsed and a simple swipe down on that notification and it expands... Expanded or not, you can see how easy it is to control a music app or +1/respond to a post on G+, etc... Some app devs haven't implemented this new feature yet... but the ones that have, I fully take advantage and use the quick options they bring... And you can easily hit the little button next to the date to remove them all or swipe away one by one... This is all 100% stock android too, no tweaks needed for any of this...

Expanded:
    regagy5u.jpg

Just G+ Expanded:
    va9asube.jpg

Everything Collapsed:
    gy9eqa3u.jpg

Toggles are newly implemented into Android as a stock feature... There's no customization in stock form... You even have a nice little picture from your Google account in case you forget what you look like... But with this custom ROM, I can choose all sorts of toggles to add/remove... This ROM just allows you to rearrange these "tiles" to any position you want... Long pressing on them takes you directly to that tiles setting in the normal settings menu...

anavyva2.jpg

Now some things to mention... Although 100% stock android only got some of these features with the recent 4.2 update... Some features, like the toggles, have been included in Touchwiz ROMs since at least Android 2.3, possibly earlier (Idk)... Touchwiz is the Android that comes on the GS3 and Note2, etc...

I hope you enjoyed your schooling for the day... That was a long reply to type on my phone, I'm out lol...

*edit*
    Almost forgot to include that you can't use the tweak in that video on iOS 6... You'd have to downgrade lol... Along with that, I read in the comments that the devs are gonna charge $2.99 for that tweak... Now since I dabble in devving and I make themes for custom ROMs, it would be great to make money on everything I do... But c'mon, aside from me chewing that video up, we get all of these things for free... And IMHBAO (in my humble but accurate opinion), they're better implemented on Android than on iOS... But maybe that's just because of iOS overall ui...

Also, did I mention these screenshots were on my Nexus S 4G... The Nexus S 4G celebrated its 2 YEAR old birthday a few days ago... Say happy belated birthday :) ... Its crazy how its this old but still gets every single feature that Google can come up with... Unlike some devices *cough*iPhone4 & lower*cough*

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2