Galaxy S4 Active - is it really waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
USA Today have an article (here) where the reviewer was testing the S4 Active. Right after he dunk the phone underwater, the phone have WATER DAMAGE:

Shortly after I took the phone for a dip (in not very deep water), the display went kaput — at least for several hours. It lit up just long enough to indicate that I had power, but I couldn't actually keep the display on and use it.

Roughly a day later, the screen came alive again, but the phone was still exhibiting finicky behavior, presumably because of water damage. The touch-screen was messed up and the device acted as if headphones were plugged in when they weren't. If this were my actual phone, I'd return to the store for a replacement.

I just got the S4 Active and thought I am not planning to take the phone for a long underwater activities, I am concerned that I am getting a phone that have a very weak water resistant feature.

Not sure if this is because the reviewer didn't "properly" close the battery cover / USB port, but I have seen S4 Active review and Samsung Event videos where the phone was submerged in water for a long time and it still works.

PS: Have ANYONE tried to dunk their phone in the water for testing? :p

thatbigmoose

Jan 11, 2012
I'd like to think that reviewer just got stuck with a bad unit.

But this begs the question: Is water damage covered under warranty? Either by AT&T or Samsung? Surely they should back up their "vacation-proof" phone..

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
My phone has been in a pool, lake, bathtub, rainy weather, all since I got it. I trust it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

My first one went into the pool just fine. The unit I have now I am scared to expose it. On the top between the glass and bezel there is a small gap... above the in call speaker.... I'm afraid that water will pour in through that... Can you look at yours and see if yours is like that?

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
My first one went into the pool just fine. The unit I have now I am scared to expose it. On the top between the glass and bezel there is a small gap... above the in call speaker.... I'm afraid that water will pour in through that... Can you look at yours and see if yours is like that?

You mean between the earpiece and the bezel at the front? I don't see any gaps, at least not with my naked eyes.

On the back, bottom part near the speaker, I don't see it either. Trying to press to see if there is a gap, so far none.

What makes you "scared" on the phone that you have now?

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
He probably didn't press down the back cover correctly.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4

There is a sticker on the back cover that provide a warning for the user to PRESS DOWN on the middle of the cover, underneath the LED.

I always do that, but I never hear a "click" or any indication that the back cover is now PROPERLY covering the phone to prevent water leakage.

Well, I DO hear the click when pressing on all sides, but that's normal like my Galaxy Note.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
You mean between the earpiece and the bezel at the front? I don't see any gaps, at least not with my naked eyes.

On the back, bottom part near the speaker, I don't see it either. Trying to press to see if there is a gap, so far none.

What makes you "scared" on the phone that you have now?

Yeah on the front top. I just think water will easily get in the phone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mattpayne92

Jan 27, 2012
Amherst
I've used this phone below the 1 meter mark and the only bad side effect I get is the microphone not working well for a bit afterwords, which happens really at any level of exposure. This phone is pretty safe in water if you use it correctly.

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
...the only bad side effect I get is the microphone not working well for a bit afterwords...

That is pretty bad. I mean, I am not going snorkeling and take a phone call while floating on the shore, but if somebody calls me and I CANNOT talk to them because the microphone does not work, that is a big problem.

I am actually wondering how does the phone protects the microphone, earphone and speaker? There are holes there and water can go in. I was considering the Xperia Z and so far the only problem with water issue is the microphone jack - the phone will think that the jack have a headphone but it's only water. However, that is easily fixable by drying it out. I.e. use tissue or something that goes inside the jack.

Microphone though, the holes are to tiny to "dry" with a tissue or something.

BTW, is the microphone STOPS working completely or it works again after a FEW DAYS?

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Maybe I can ask those who read this thread to tell me if:

A). You HAVE tested your phone under water (splashing it, dunking it in a bowl of water)
B). What ISSUE you have after you did the above? Phone dead, microphone stops working, etc.

I am trying to get a sense if this is just a specific batch issue (I can replace the phone) or design issue (no matter what, the issue still exists).

maldinimi

Jun 25, 2013
If it really was then it would have lifetime warranty. The fact that it only has 1 year warranty like most of the phones tells me that after year 1 be ready to say bye bye to your baby

Sent from my SGH-I337

thatbigmoose

Jan 11, 2012

A). You HAVE tested your phone under water (splashing it, dunking it in a bowl of water)
B). What ISSUE you have after you did the above? Phone dead, microphone stops working, etc.

I am trying to get a sense if this is just a specific batch issue (I can replace the phone) or design issue (no matter what, the issue still exists).

Decided to take mine in the shower to test after it got here.
I let the showerhead spray onto the phone, both front and back. Nothing wrong.
Like other people reported, the speaker volume gets significantly lower when wet and goes back to normal within a half hour. Also if the headphone port gets water in it it will errenously display that "headphones are connected" which blowing into the port will fix.

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Like other people reported, the speaker volume gets significantly lower when wet and goes back to normal within a half hour. Also if the headphone port gets water in it it will errenously display that "headphones are connected" which blowing into the port will fix.

This is useful! BTW, you haven't test submerging the phone, have you?

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
If it really was then it would have lifetime warranty. The fact that it only has 1 year warranty like most of the phones tells me that after year 1 be ready to say bye bye to your baby

Sent from my SGH-I337

No it won't, because all things mechanical / electronics break downs eventually - nothing last forever. Even mil-spec stuff does not have a "lifetime" warranty.

thatbigmoose

Jan 11, 2012
This is useful! BTW, you haven't test submerging the phone, have you?

I haven't submersed it yet but there's videos on YouTube with submersion and it brings about the same issues I discussed.
Higher water pressure will clog the mic membrane and make you sound distant in phone calls.

Maybe I'll build up the courage to dunk it tomorrow.

stephensonbrady

Sep 26, 2010
thousand oaks
I did the dunk test the night after I got it by fully submerging it in a cup of water...worked just fine afterwards...although I was showing a friend that didn't believe that I had a "water proof/resistant" phone by putting it in the sink and letting water run over it and had an issue with the phone thinking the headphones were plugged in.only did it for about an hour...weird thing was that it didn't start doing it until about 2 hours after it had been wet. Although once it fully dried I haven't had any issues at all with it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium HD app

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
That is pretty bad. I mean, I am not going snorkeling and take a phone call while floating on the shore, but if somebody calls me and I CANNOT talk to them because the microphone does not work, that is a big problem.

I am actually wondering how does the phone protects the microphone, earphone and speaker? There are holes there and water can go in. I was considering the Xperia Z and so far the only problem with water issue is the microphone jack - the phone will think that the jack have a headphone but it's only water. However, that is easily fixable by drying it out. I.e. use tissue or something that goes inside the jack.

Microphone though, the holes are to tiny to "dry" with a tissue or something.

BTW, is the microphone STOPS working completely or it works again after a FEW DAYS?
Maybe leave the phone in the sun for a few minutes to dry? Blow on it? Several things help get the water out. But honestly, how often are you going to go swimming with a phone and then take a call immediately afterwards? I'd be thrilled that my phone didn't fry after it fell in the pool, I could care less that the microphone doesn't work for an hour - that's what bluetooth headsets are for.

Anyways, I've had my phone submerged in a sink with running water twice now, the only issues I've found is that after removing the back cover there is water on the outside of the rubber gasket, which looks normal, but I would recommend taking the back off to dry it out after exposed to water.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
When i took mine into the pool I made a phone call right after and they said I sounded funny so i blew in the mic and it cleared the water out and they could hear me fine....

Reactions: lanwarrior

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
But honestly, how often are you going to go swimming with a phone and then take a call immediately afterwards?

Not very often, but when I DO need to take that call, it will be a big problem. This is a phone after all. :D

I don't think I will purposely take the phone for a swim, but the reason I bought the Active instead of the S4 is because of the water/sand protection and want to confirm it works. If it doesn't, then I'll exchange the phone to a normal S4 because it's thinner.

However, based on your response and others, it seems it does offer those protection to a certain degree and the ONLY issue is that the mic may get covered with water and cause the caller not being able to hear me, but this is easily fixed QUICKLY.

Reactions: geoff5093
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My phone has been in a pool, lake, bathtub, rainy weather, all since I got it. I trust it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
    You will not find a water warranty on an IP67 rated device or case. Ever. That's like asking for a warranty on your cars airbag saying you won't get hurt in an accident. If the device was IP68 I'd expect a warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app

Well, car manufacturers don't let you put your car in "crash mode" and encourage you to slam into a wall either.
    After looking at all your comments I have concerns getting the S4Active now which was something I was looking to do.

The waterproof function should just work i.e. the phone should function normally in and out of water. Something that does not work until a few hours later or requires some effort to get it working I think means water had gotten in and will likely eventually fail. That doesn't inspire confidence and once you have fear bring a supposedly waterproof phone into the water, what's the point of getting one.

As you can imagine warranty claim for waterproof issues will be tricky. How to differentiate between water damage due to user negligence vs manufacturing issues?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...W_COMMENT_SUBMISSION&bvauthenticateuser=false

Most likely the back wasn't snapped on correctly on your link to doubt.

The phone is a $600 smartphone one should use caution with something so valuable. It's more weather resistant than water proof. Short dunks in water wont kill it. Long term water usage most likely will in the end. I'd think a quick dunk or two would be fine. A person should rinse and dry it off afterwards. I see no issue having to possibly do a quick blow in the mike and speaker afterwards to make a call or having to blow out the water from the headphone jack if needed. Use common sense and it will last just as long as the next smartphone or possibly longer if your on the clumsy side.

Did you order direct from the link you provided, and which one??
    Thanks AK

Yeah, I used the link. I bought the WiQiQI Active + Versa Pad. That's the charging insert plus the wireless pad. It' was a funded project which finished, but from what I read that company will be making it available to the public in a month. They will be shipping the project ones next few weeks.

Looks like their ordering page is this one:
    http://www.vivealive.net/