Funky Front Facing Camera

Search This thread

sg3love

Aug 7, 2012
Torrance
Just got my s5 from T-mobile last night and shes beautiful :)

Just wondering does anyone feel the front facing camera gives you a funky look? Its making my head look super longitudinal as if someone has squeezed the camera! Especially when I position my head so show at the bottom of the screen. Please let me know :) have a great day !:laugh:

sg3love

Aug 7, 2012
Torrance
Would like some more s5 user feed back if possible, I want to know if all s5's are like this or i got a defective front facing camera. Thank you.

CitrixLemon

Aug 28, 2010

Just wondering does anyone feel the front facing camera gives you a funky look? Its making my head look super longitudinal as if someone has squeezed the camera! Especially when I position my head so show at the bottom of the screen. Please let me know :) have a great day !:laugh:
Your head may be defective, I'd take it back to a T-Mobile store and see if they can help you with that. :p

Perhaps if you posted a sample image (not necessarily of your face) to see if something it obviously wrong. The front facing camera does have a wide angle lens which might be what it causing you to perceive it as "squished." If you rotate the camera do you observe the same effect?

Last edited:

sg3love

Aug 7, 2012
Torrance
I knew one person would say that lol thanks for clearing the air Haha.. Anyways I'd be more than happy to share..

Also would like to add that I went to T-Mobile and all their phones including my friends front camera are doing the same problem it may be a glitch in the software. It's just how you angle it it had to be at the top of the screen or bottom.

Here is a picture of my face in the center and on the edge, I'll let you be the judge and try it on your phone as well. I am holding my phone horizontal for this one and it made my face wider if I hold it longitude my face will be longer.

Notice how the center picture looks perfect versus when you position yourself at the bottom or the top of the screen.
Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398374336036.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398374336036.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 322
  • uploadfromtaptalk1398374359292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398374359292.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 313
  • uploadfromtaptalk1398374373797.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398374373797.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 307

imilleson

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
www.sakalmedia.com
I knew one person would say that lol thanks for clearing the air Haha.. Anyways I'd be more than happy to share..

Also would like to add that I went to T-Mobile and all their phones including my friends front camera are doing the same problem it may be a glitch in the software. It's just how you angle it it had to be at the top of the screen or bottom.

Here is a picture of my face in the center and on the edge, I'll let you be the judge and try it on your phone as well. I am holding my phone horizontal for this one and it made my face wider if I hold it longitude my face will be longer.

Notice how the center picture looks perfect versus when you position yourself at the bottom or the top of the screen.

Weird mine doesn't seem to do that

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: sg3love

cmjkxa

May 24, 2011
San diego
Mine does this. Its funny cause I was going to post about this but wanted to wait till someone else posted so I didn't feel crazy. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sg3love

Aug 7, 2012
Torrance
Thank god!

Mine does this. Its funny cause I was going to post about this but wanted to wait till someone else posted so I didn't feel crazy. Lol.

haha thank god! i swear to you i went to at&t and t-mobile and used my friends s5 and all their camera's are like this.. it also does it in snapchat if you use that... pretty much anything with front facing camera..phone is fairly new and im sure people will start noticing it sooner or later! Shall we email samsung or something ? lol

redline06

Nov 18, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think I have an idea about what you're experiencing, I always thought I looked funnier than I normally do when talking a photo with the front facing camera lol. I found that I look normal before taking the picture but then after taking the photo and when reviewing it something always looked off. I then found out about the "Save as flipped' option when you press the settings button while in the front facing camera mode. I turned that on and it was better, granted all its doing is flipping the image but it just looked so funny when that setting is off for some reason.
Try it out and see if its the same for you.

cmjkxa

May 24, 2011
San diego
It's not that. When you have the phone in front of your face taking a "selfie", try moving the phone up and down as far as you can while still seeing the screen and have the camera on your face. You'll notice your face and head starts to distort.

Aou

Aug 4, 2008
Arizona
My guesses:
a) The lens itself is distorted intentionally to fill the extra "widescreen" areas of your display with an otherwise 4:3 ratio sensor.
b) The digital picture is distorted intentionally to fill that same extra void when viewing a 4:3 ratio picture on a 16:9 display.

Think of the days when HD (720p) was brand-new. Some of the first broadcasts that were in "HD" were simply 4:3 ratio videos stretched on the sides to fill up that extra space on your TV (versus having the "black bars" fill it instead).

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
It could be that the front facing camera just isn't very good, poorly made. I mean it's 2.1 mp. People still use their back camera for selfie lol

sg3love

Aug 7, 2012
Torrance
I think I have an idea about what you're experiencing, I always thought I looked funnier than I normally do when talking a photo with the front facing camera lol. I found that I look normal before taking the picture but then after taking the photo and when reviewing it something always looked off. I then found out about the "Save as flipped' option when you press the settings button while in the front facing camera mode. I turned that on and it was better, granted all its doing is flipping the image but it just looked so funny when that setting is off for some reason.
Try it out and see if its the same for you.

Hello, thank you for the attempt but I tried both options.. And still.. I think the front camera just isn't that good.. My s3 was better than this. I feel like I'm using a circus mirror as a camera..

Last edited:

cdjaney

Feb 2, 2012
Hello, thank you for the attempt but I tried both options.. And still.. I think the front camera just isn't that good.. My s3 was better than this. I feel like I'm using a circus mirror as a camera..

I don't have the phone yet but reading for education. This may be silly to ask, but does the distance you put the camera from you change the distortion? I know our arms are only so long, but just a thought.... Since it was pointed out that it does have the extra wide angle lens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

sg3love

Aug 7, 2012
Torrance
I don't have the phone yet but reading for education. This may be silly to ask, but does the distance you put the camera from you change the distortion? I know our arms are only so long, but just a thought.... Since it was pointed out that it does have the extra wide angle lens

Hey more knowledge to you my friend! I did a test with distance and I got the same distortion no matter how far i stood from the front facing camera, if I got near the top of the bottom of the screen, I would become bulging, and a little longitudinal.

sg3love

Aug 7, 2012
Torrance
My guesses:
a) The lens itself is distorted intentionally to fill the extra "widescreen" areas of your display with an otherwise 4:3 ratio sensor.
b) The digital picture is distorted intentionally to fill that same extra void when viewing a 4:3 ratio picture on a 16:9 display.

Think of the days when HD (720p) was brand-new. Some of the first broadcasts that were in "HD" were simply 4:3 ratio videos stretched on the sides to fill up that extra space on your TV (versus having the "black bars" fill it instead).

You bring up a great point with the "widescreen" but it is 2014 don't you think they would have thought of a way to get a wider ratio with out distorting an image? This makes the front facing camera unusable to some. The HTC one also has a front widescreen screen camera but does not distort.

cdjaney

Feb 2, 2012
You bring up a great point with the "widescreen" but it is 2014 don't you think they would have thought of a way to get a wider ratio with out distorting an image? This makes the front facing camera unusable to some. The HTC one also has a front widescreen screen camera but does not distort.

Again probably a pointless suggestion, but have you experimented with the different resolution on the front cam? Makes a mild difference on my S3

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app

sg3love

Aug 7, 2012
Torrance
Again probably a pointless suggestion, but have you experimented with the different resolution on the front cam? Makes a mild difference on my S3

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app

Hey good idea and it made a difference, I lowered resolution to 1.6 mp1440x 1080 and the effect was still there. 4:3

I put the resolution on 1mp 1072x1072 and the effect is completely gone. Ratio is 1:1

Then I put the resolution on what seems to be the lowest 640x480 .3 mp ratio 4:3 and the effect seems to SLIGHTLY be there by hardly noticeable.

For now I will be leaving it on. 3 mp it seems to be usable and not noticeable. But when I opened any third party applications that utilizes my camera like Snapchat it is distorted :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Your head may be defective, I'd take it back to a T-Mobile store and see if they can help you with that. :p

Perhaps if you posted a sample image (not necessarily of your face) to see if something it obviously wrong. The front facing camera does have a wide angle lens which might be what it causing you to perceive it as "squished." If you rotate the camera do you observe the same effect?
    It isn't very good, that would be my best guess

Weird mine doesn't seem to do that

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    It's not that. When you have the phone in front of your face taking a "selfie", try moving the phone up and down as far as you can while still seeing the screen and have the camera on your face. You'll notice your face and head starts to distort.