From Desktop to Android Development

Search This thread

VirginiaFarm

Jan 28, 2014
From Desktop and Web to Android Devices : I Need Help

For over twenty years I have developed apps using Borland's Delphi and BDS development tools. I now want to migrate a subset of that functionality to Android devices ... but need help getting over the learning curve hump.

The general particulars are:

1. Master-Detail, content management. Multiple detail data tables for each master record.

2. Image gallery. See all images in the gallery or only those images which have been linked to a master record.

3. Taking a pic and linking it to a master record.

4. Ability to query for local businesses ... such as "Find <business name> within <x miles> of my current GPS location.

I currently have Eclipse and the latest ADK tools installed. Also, I have some Java experience.

Is there a place I can go to find a baseline source code framework that satisfies these requirements and demonstrates how to store and manage the master and detail data and links?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at patrickwilliamallen@comcast.net

Many thanks, from an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Patrick

Tarkus.GSA

Dec 29, 2014
In my opinion, the best way for not a game development is using Xamarin platform. Xamarin is pretty good, but it's not a free.

MBaashar

Dec 31, 2014
All I can provide is the hard way : stick to a place like stackoverflow.com + the android official documentation.
You'll find tons of content relating to your question ; I'm sure about that.

espacepub

Jun 16, 2015
espacepublishing.com
From Desktop and Web to Android Devices : I Need Help

For over twenty years I have developed apps using Borland's Delphi and BDS development tools. I now want to migrate a subset of that functionality to Android devices ... but need help getting over the learning curve hump.

The general particulars are:

1. Master-Detail, content management. Multiple detail data tables for each master record.

2. Image gallery. See all images in the gallery or only those images which have been linked to a master record.

3. Taking a pic and linking it to a master record.

4. Ability to query for local businesses ... such as "Find <business name> within <x miles> of my current GPS location.

I currently have Eclipse and the latest ADK tools installed. Also, I have some Java experience.

Is there a place I can go to find a baseline source code framework that satisfies these requirements and demonstrates how to store and manage the master and detail data and links?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at patrickwilliamallen@comcast.net

Many thanks, from an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Patrick

The offical Android Tutorials are a great place to start.

blackangus

Jul 6, 2015
aaronjwood.com
I've found that if you start by trying to build something that you have in the past but target it at Android you'll learn a lot about the framework, its quirks, and how to do things maybe a little bit better than what you'll sometimes find on various sites. I second that Android's docs and tutorials are a great place to start, but you could take them and piece something together right from the start. It's also a great way to see how your project will work and perform on a real device running the Dalvik or ART VM :) FWIW, you'll notice that things will perform MUCH better with ART.

Jul 3, 2016
play.google.com
If you are a window coder, using java or c# is easy for transform, so download android studio or xamarin, open examples and do again.
If sqlite (default in android is not enough with you) you need create app with client-server app :)